PDA

View Full Version : Possible 2nd mindee, wwyd?

crazyhazy
19-03-2010, 03:23 PM
So, I just had my 2nd parent visit me and they are very keen to use me. I on the other hand am dithering! She said on the phone it was full time place for a 3 year old. However, it's actually

mon 9-3 (although I will drop her at prechool at 1230)
tue, thur and fri - 7.30-12.30 (although would be 1.30 in holidays)

In some ways it would be great, I'm just starting out only got one school child so far, and the little girl is at preschool with mine so it would be good for her too.

The catches being she is at college, so they pay the fees (anyone any experience of this?) and finishing in June, after which she will be looking for a full time job, so it has the potential to be more hours but obviously if she doesn't find work then she won't need me at all. Also, her childminder has just terminated her contract, due to personal reasons it seems (cmer apparently talking about the parent and a few other things) rather than non payment etc

Part of me thinks it would be a perfect way to start, for my girls too it would be a gentle ease in. But the other part of me is worried that someone else might call looking for full time (is that really likely?) or she won't get a job come june and I'll be back to square one. Also, how likely is it that I'll be able to fill a wednesday or the afternoons?

So, if I do decide to go, I'm right to charge till 1.30pm all the time if she'll need me till then in the holidays aren't I?

Sorry, a very long ramble but can't decide what to do for the best?!

Thanks

mamasheshe
19-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I'd be tempted to take it. yes charge until 1.30! and advertise for full time place for June:D :D

Jules27
19-03-2010, 04:21 PM
All depends on how much you need money I suppose. I must say I would take it to gain valuable experience too, we all have to start somewhere. My 1st 2 mindee's were not the hours I was looking for but I took them on and worked with it until something more suitable came along - which was approx 6 months down the line.:)

helenlc
19-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I would take it tbh especially if there hasnt been much else about.

My first mindees were just 2 days a week - not what i wanted as wanted more but took it on. I slowly had others come along and fit in with them and then replaced them with more suitable hours when they finished.

Goatgirl
19-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi :),
I had fees paid by college at the end of last year... well actully not paid because the mum left without letting me know or paying the notice period.. but that's another story, :D

It would have been a good contract though, had she stayed at college: they gave me a form to fill in which stated they would pay up to £6 per hour, so if its the same sort of thing for you, I'd charge more per hour to make up for the part of the space she isn't paying for personally. Also she may not be able to afford holiday retainer if she has her fees paid by college, so maybe factor these in too.
For me, that would be: (full time hours x normal hourly rate) / hours needed = new hourly rate. (I do year round or term time only contracts).

I'd go for it: you have the settling in period to pull out if there are any problems and its income and experience until something more suitable comes along. Good luck!!

miffy
19-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Unless you think you will easily fill your full time space I'd take it but I would charge a higher hourly rate, as suggested, because you're unlikely to fill the afternoons.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Jelly Baby
19-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I would atke it tbh unless thee is lots of work going..(she says mucking mine up!):mad: ..good look if you do..when i first started out i took anyone and everyone on and dont really regret any of them!

crazyhazy
19-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I think you're all right, I will take it and wait and see what happens, it's money right away and experience too. it could work out really well if she was to get a full time job right away and if not I might have other enquiries in the meantime for later in the year. Plus I think my little girl will be delighted her friend gets to come and play!

She asked my hourly rate and I already said £3.50 which she said was the same as the previous childminder so was happy with that.