PDA

View Full Version : who knows lots about conjunctivitis? please?

newandlearning
19-03-2010, 02:52 PM
hi..
one of my mums brought their LO to me today and told me that he'd hurt his eye and that she thought it would be ok..

as morning went on it looked more and more like conjunctivitis so I've sent him
home as he really wasnt well..

mum has said that she is sure some forms of conjunctivitis are ok to come to me with and others aren't...

I didnt know this.. can anyone help me out?

any help would be great :)

sandy64
19-03-2010, 02:55 PM
hi i may be wrong but ive only heard of one kind of conjunctivitus and yes its infectious until treatment has begun so id say you did the right thing to send home.:)

desiderata
19-03-2010, 02:59 PM
The only cure Ive ever found over many years is boil water add some salt allow to cool till warm and bath area. Others may say different but this works for me everytime. Creams seem to feed it. Obviously use clean I usually use plain white kitchen roll and use a clean piece for every wipe.

Mookins
19-03-2010, 03:00 PM
oooch nasty stuff...poor lil lamb :(

aly
19-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Conjunctivitis is contagious and you did good to call her to pick up...do not take back until child is free from it...you do not want to catch it or have it past on to others.

WibbleWobble
19-03-2010, 04:13 PM
there are two types...

viral and bacterial

viral makes the eye very red-no discharge
bacterial is red and discharge.

both infectious

both need to see Gp...even if there is no treatment the GP needs to check cos a red eye can mean other things eg iritis (inflammation of the iris = v bad)

the cool boiled water treatment for discharge is good

take a piece of gauze (not cotton wool) and dip in cool boiled water. From the nose side of the eye wipe towards the ear. Dispose of that piece (its dirty now) and repeat until eye clear.

This is good for sticky eye in the morning too

ah well all those years as an eye nurse has been a help! i usually get this from neighbours and the great "oh mand ive got something in my eye!"

newandlearning
19-03-2010, 04:18 PM
hi thanks for replies...

if child was some how irritated by rolling around in grass would eyes still go red and weepy?

a chemist a long time ago told me to use baby shampoo as a wash with cool boiled water and I've always found this does the trick as well.. especially on those occasions when you think 'owww.. my eye is itchy'...

is there a type of conjunctivitis which is irritated by an allergen? or is that something else?

WibbleWobble
19-03-2010, 04:24 PM
yes they may go red and itchy...not an infective conjunctivitis. Thats an allergic conjunctivitis. You can get drops.

The baby shampoo...thats for blepharitis. The lid margin (where your eye lashes go in) can get a bit of an infected dandruff. Some peeps can be sensitive to it and get itchy eyes. (me)
get a bowl of cool bioled water and a small squirt of johnssons no more tears. Do the wiping with the gauze bit but take particular attention to the lid margins.
It will take a couple of weeks. if it doesnt go ...go GP and tell them you have done the wiping routine. He shoud give you a course of cream.

mandy x

newandlearning
19-03-2010, 04:37 PM
thanks Mandy.. that's really fab.. and good to know x:clapping:

Carol M
19-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Yuck!
Conjunctivitis can spread like wildfire where young children are present as infection control is difficult. The gunk discharged is infectious and it can also be spread by them coughing and sneezing.
Our LA changed the exclusion period for it a while ago saying that once treatment is started child can return but I will not accept a child untill the eyes have stopped discharging and child is well,no red itchy eyes.
I have this in my policy which parents sign for . In my experience once it gets hold in a setting it is hard to get rid of even with strict hygiene control. Me or my family do not want it ,it's horrible.
Carol:panic:

WibbleWobble
19-03-2010, 05:04 PM
thanks Mandy.. that's really fab.. and good to know x:clapping:

thats ok...my consultation charge will be at mates rates:laughing: :laughing:

WibbleWobble
19-03-2010, 05:06 PM
also ...conjunctivitis can be a symptom of an ear and/or throat infection. The tubes all link up...so they may be grotty too.