PDA

View Full Version : No show mum

cherry
18-03-2008, 09:06 AM
On Friday afternoon I had a phone call from a mother panicking as she had been offered a job to start today (Tuesday) and hadn't sorted out child care so could she come round to see me straight away.

I was able to offer her a place for her daughter and she was going to get granparents to help with 4 year old son.

She seem happy with me and my setting, if fact so much so that I had to ask her if she would leave as I needed to get dinners sorted. ( She and children had stayed over an hour and a half).

I gave her a form to fill in with details of her and children and said we would sort contracts out once she had started new job and knew what hours she would be working. I don't know why I did this as I usually get them to sign straight away but there was something about her!

Well, guess what, she hasn't shown up. How rude is that :angry:

I couldn't have been more helpful, droping everything for her on Friday and she hasn't got the decency to call me :angry:

Why do I bother :mad:

yummymummy
18-03-2008, 09:20 AM
How rude of the woman to do that to you. Do these people not realise that childminders do actually have lives and that childminding is their living!:angry:
Hopefully there will be a feasible explanation, hope she gets back to you one way or the other it's horrible to be left hanging around.
Hope your day gets better. X :)

ma7ie
18-03-2008, 09:21 AM
How rude. :angry:

I always ask for a weeks deposit now which is forfeited if they don't turn up. Maybe then they'll think twice about messing me about.

Have you tried ringing her?

berkschick
18-03-2008, 09:23 AM
How rude!

Have you got a contact number for her? I would ring her and have a word

sarah707
18-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I always ask for a weeks deposit now which is forfeited if they don't turn up. Maybe then they'll think twice about messing me about.

I think this is a very good idea... it is definitely something I will do next time I have vacancies to fill.

Sorry to hear you've been let down Cherry.. not fair! :( I do hope there's a reasonable explanation.

Julia
18-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi

Had that done to me, 2 years ago Id only been childminding for 6 months then and the stupid women lived in my street, so I went and knocked on her door, I could see her hidding in the back room through the window. So I phoned the inland revenue and reported her for fraud because I thought she only came to me to get my Childminder number, so she could claim the childcare costs on the working family tax. That stopped her, as far as I know shes been done for it and I wasnt the first childminder shes done it to either.
;)

emler
18-03-2008, 12:03 PM
How annoying Cherry. I definately think that taking a deposit in future will stop this from happening. Keep your chin up

Emler x

Tily Bud
18-03-2008, 12:30 PM
parents like this make me soooo :angry: :angry:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
18-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I have had this happen to me it is so annoying and does make me cross.

Lorraine xx

booboo
18-03-2008, 01:12 PM
:angry: Why do parents do that to us, im sure they would have something to say if we did it.

Chin up Cherry :)

Amanda x

cherry
18-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all your kind words. :)

I really can't be bothered to call her. If she wants to treat me like this I don't want to talk to her.

Hopefully I have a 4 month old starting in April, Mums due to come round this week to sign contracts. Fingers cross.:)

RedDragon
18-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I too had similar where a parent turned up asking for childcare.

She asked me so many questions all she needed was my inside leg measurements and she had the full set.

A fellow CM stopped me a few days later and told me that she had been looking after the parent's child for ages - the only reason the parent had come to me was to check that my contract was the same as hers - otherwise she could complain to the Childminder who already had the child saying that other childminder's contracts were different. :panic:

Now we all get together (Childminders in the village) and our contracts are virtually the same - we all charge the same etc.

Banana
18-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear this

It is very rude

x

Michelle M
18-03-2008, 06:47 PM
:angry: :angry: thats so rude, I would be fuming.

Chin up chick

Michelle xx

deeb66
18-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree that was very rude of her.

She could have at least called to say that she didn't need you anymore

Trouble
18-03-2008, 07:15 PM
i agree with everyone else

but i think ma7ie has a point

Schnakes
18-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Have you got a contact number for her? I would ring her and have a word

You're so militant, Berkschick!! :D

Sx

ruby
19-03-2008, 10:11 AM
have had this happen to us before
think it's a good idea to ask for a deposit which is forfeited if they don't show

will do this in future

good luck with the 4 month old fingers crossed

Cathy

susi513
19-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I was livid after giving up a Sunday afternoon to a desperate mum who only had a week to find a cm. She signed contract there and then, agreed to pay online etc etc... When I rang up on the day to ask if they're running late/if he's poorly etc the mum said something like "Oh, I suppose I should have rung you. I've chosen another childminder". No apology, nothing. I later discovered I was some sort of backup plan as she'd already signed up with another childminder before visiting me - the other cm was cheaper but couldn't do holidays. So the desperate plea to me was a complete lie.

So no more weekend interviews - if they can't come at a time convenient to me then they don't get a place. And they don't get a place until they've paid a months deposit.

DCS
20-03-2008, 09:52 AM
A fellow CM stopped me...
Now we all get together (Childminders in the village) and our contracts are virtually the same - we all charge the same etc.

if I were you folk, all of u put ur prices up , charge deposits ect. that'll teach the parents not to mess with highly skilled professionals.

emmadines
20-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Im waiting for my certificate! I plan to get 2 weeks deposit and 2 weeks on signing the contract = a months payment in advance!the 2 weeks befor signing is non refundable!

maybe it sounds a lot but I dont want to be messed about!