PDA

View Full Version : Anybody not a member of ncma?

louised
19-03-2010, 12:38 PM
just had my renewal through and i'm thinking about not renewing as i'm currently looking for a job and don't expect to be childminding for much longer. Of course I will take out public liability insurance with another company but £50 is a lot of monet to waste on a membership I won't use, I won't save any money on paperwork as I don't use the ncma's

AliceK
19-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm not. I get everything thro MM after speaking to childminders who have been with NCMA for years and saying they don't feel it's worth it anymore.

xxxxx

sarah707
19-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I actually rang them this morning to find out about membership prices as I was interested in joining.

Someone told me there was an offer on so I thought I'd ask the question.

They first quoted me £63!!

Then they came down to £48... which is still a huge amount of money in my opinion.

I know there are benefits to being a member but it's just so much money :panic:

I am still making up my mind :D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I love all the information I get from NCMA and the additional cover that I need for mine playing outside.

MM will refund unused insurance if you cancel but it might be worth asking the question of NCMA if you want to stay with them.

Sarah - why don't you join the NCMA as the Annual Regional Meetings are coming up and the committee positions could certainly use knowledgeable people like you.

sarah707
19-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Sarah - why don't you join the NCMA as the Annual Regional Meetings are coming up and the committee positions could certainly use knowledgeable people like you.

That is why I was dithering about joining.

I have bought a ticket for my local ARM but as a non-member I had to pay more so I wondered what the offset would be...

Hmmmm still pondering :D

solly
19-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I switched from NCMA to MM a couple of years ago as i thought NCMA wanted to much money

Leanne59
19-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Can you just buy the liabity insurance from ncma or do you have to be buy the membership to? does any one have a rough ideas how much?

Blaze
19-03-2010, 03:16 PM
You can just but the insurance - I think it's around £30

mamasheshe
19-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not a member :blush: couldn't afford it as just starting up I'm with MM:thumbsup:

manjay
19-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry no contest from me. I am definitely an NCMA advocate. I think they do fab work lobbying on behalf of childminders and I reckon we need all the help we can get to raise our profile. I actually don't think you get the full measure of what they do unless you attend regional meetings.

Louise - if you are not going to be minding much longer then it may not be worth it. Maybe if this is the case then you should go for a PLI policy that will only charge you for the part of the year you are using.

Daftbat
19-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I was a member for 9 years and then changed last year for the same reasons as others have stated. I also use my own documents - it took a while to get them right but you only have to do it once.

louised
20-03-2010, 01:37 PM
So for those who aren't members do you still use their public liability insurance or do you use soemone else?

caz3007
20-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I am with Morton Michell.

balloon
20-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I never joined NCMA, it was far too expensive as a minder just starting out and I use MM contracts insurance etc so have nothing to gain by joining them.

Perhaps if they were to lower that rather exorbitant joining fee I'd reconsider!

For those who are NCMA what do you actually receive for that fee? I don't mean stuff like you *can* ring them up, I mean actual physical things. Thanks :)

babs
20-03-2010, 05:56 PM
im with ncma and have been since i started

lynnslittleuns
21-03-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm with NCMA but would be interested to know what MM charge.
Lynn xxx