View Full Version : Minding for family, wwyd?

18-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Back when I first started looking into becoming a childminder, my sil aske dif I would have my neice in August when she starts school, so before and after school, although until Oct she finishes at 12 so slightly longer. I said yes without really thinking it through. So, first of all I'm now wondering whether this is a good idea or not? Mixing family and business? And now to complicate matters sil is now pregnant and due end of Oct so will not be needing me after that anyway, am pretty sure she'll take a year off.

So, my thoughts are just do it, it's only going to be 6-8 weeks but also she's going to be using one of my spaces so if I get approached by someone else (already filled 1/3 school places) wanting that space, I'd be silly to turn it down in favour of my neice wouldn't I?

So wwyd? Do I just wait until nearer the time and see what enquiries I get and broach it with sil if I do get another enquiry? Or do I say to her now?

18-03-2010, 08:48 PM
For some people it works out just fine and peachy minding for family and friends.
For others not so great

I think you would need to very strongly emphasise to your SIL and family that while you are minding you are in a professional capacity and the children and family will not be treated any differently to any other clients.

I would also say that you do not want to jepordise family relations etc and would probably consider termination of a contract if things were to start turning bad.

18-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I would say to your sil that you are happy to take your niece until she goes on mat leave, unless you get a phone call looking for the space, prob best to be upfront with her, I take it shes not paying you

18-03-2010, 09:00 PM
See she would be paying me, she was up front about that and tbh if it weren't for the maternity leave then I would prob be happy. I just don't want to turn away business for the sake of a few weeks. I think I'll just wait and see what enquiries I have and take it from there. It's not like she would be completely stuck for childcare cos my mum has already indicated she would be happy to have her and there is other family who could help too.

18-03-2010, 09:44 PM
if you wouldn't leave her in the lurch then i would take her BUT if you get any other enquiries come through be honest with your SIL and explain that you don't want to turn down the work in favour of 6 weeks with your neice.