PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING - NO REGULATION FOR UNPAID CHILDCARE

angeldelight
18-03-2010, 05:27 PM
This is interesting

18 March 2010

Unpaid childcare arrangements between friends will be legally exempt from Ofsted registration and inspection under new legislation the Government announced today.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2010_0069

Angel xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
18-03-2010, 05:31 PM
so now everyone can do for free!

miffy
18-03-2010, 05:32 PM
No surprise there then - will be interested to see the guidance on what is considered a formal/informal arrangement.

Miffy xx

Alibali
18-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I think that sounds fair, I know if I was doing a different job and could help my friend out and her help me I'd be happy to. Don't think it'll affect people who need childminders anyway.

miffy
18-03-2010, 05:36 PM
You can't take advantage of working tax credits unless you use registered childcare.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
18-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I wonder who is going to prove or how they are going to prove its unpaid!!!:rolleyes:

jelly15
18-03-2010, 06:28 PM
For heavens sake some people are going to earn money without doing what we have do, without all we go through and, without paying tax :angry: .

This :censored: government is so biased against us CM it is unbelievable.

Some parents demand more than their moneys worth from us CMs but they will be happy for unregistered and uninsured bogus minders to care for their precious children.

balloon
18-03-2010, 06:37 PM
"It is right that we ensure formal childcare is of the highest possible standard and that this is backed up by thorough inspections by Ofsted to ensure every child has the best possible start in life."

It's not every child though is it, it's not the child who gets passed off to some second rate 'minder' who's doing mum a favour for 20 quid in her pocket, say no more wink wink. For that child life could be hell and nobody will care...

Every child doesn't matter... :rolleyes:

Makes no sense to me at all, just goes to show it's all about the money hunnie!

Blackhorse
18-03-2010, 06:45 PM
onceinabluemoon I see what you are saying but as to every child matters...if they would take that to the ends degree they would have to pass a law that each child gets put into a nursery or a cm and doesnt even stay home with mum until they go to school...as these kids would miss out on all the eyfs etc etc etc too..

the way I understood this is that one parent works monday tuesday and the other wednesday thursday for example and they look after each others kids...not someone elses and they do not pay each other...I dont see how this will affect cm's much to be honest.
And I also dont know many people that have anyone that would want to look after their kids for nothing...

the problem will be though how to proof this and how to make sure they dont look after kids while getting paid...but then there are soo many unregistered so called childminders and not much seems to be done about them either...
I really think they should ''crack down'' on them first before going after legitimate friends helping each other out...

Mookins
18-03-2010, 06:45 PM
it will all become legal beagle when there has been accidents,complaints and heaven forbid deaths with this...shame it has to come to this first before they see sense!:(

Lou
18-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I dont understand the big drama about this at all. It is all complete common sense.

I used to be a childminder.

I now work out of the home full time, I use a childminder for before and after school care for my daughter during term time, But in the holidays i cant afford full time childcare, or there would be no point in working, so i take as much time off as i can, as does hubby, we rely on grandparents, and if there is the odd day we cant fill, i ask my best friend and thanks to common sense she doesnt have to register to be able to do me a favour.

Or as has been said before if people work a couple of days a week and are able to share childcare, then it completely makes sense.

As has already been said, you have to use registered childcare to claim the tax credits which the majority of people do, so of course there will be the odd unregistered minder charging peanuts and getting away with it, but that has always happened and always will. This will not affect that in any way shape or form.

Some childminders seem to think the world is against them. I used to be a childminder, and i know how much hard work it is, my own childminder is simply the hardest working person i know, but it doesnt mean you need to join every crusade going!

Gizmo
18-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I dont have a problem with friends looking after friends children, I do have a big problem though with people acting as childminders. There are a few near me that do it one of my registered cm friends asked one of the mums at the school how she could let her child go with someone unregistered, the mums answer - because shes cheaper :panic:
There is another one that picks up at my dds school and she was there last week as brazen as anything with 5 under 5's :angry:

crazyhazy
18-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I dont understand the big drama about this at all. It is all complete common sense.

I used to be a childminder.

I now work out of the home full time, I use a childminder for before and after school care for my daughter during term time, But in the holidays i cant afford full time childcare, or there would be no point in working, so i take as much time off as i can, as does hubby, we rely on grandparents, and if there is the odd day we cant fill, i ask my best friend and thanks to common sense she doesnt have to register to be able to do me a favour.

Or as has been said before if people work a couple of days a week and are able to share childcare, then it completely makes sense.

As has already been said, you have to use registered childcare to claim the tax credits which the majority of people do, so of course there will be the odd unregistered minder charging peanuts and getting away with it, but that has always happened and always will. This will not affect that in any way shape or form.

Some childminders seem to think the world is against them. I used to be a childminder, and i know how much hard work it is, my own childminder is simply the hardest working person i know, but it doesnt mean you need to join every crusade going!

Well said! I'm just about to start childminding but previous to that my parents and in laws looked after my girls for me, on the odd occassion they weren't able to, one of my friends would watch them. I find it quite insulting that people are suggesting I was irresponsible for doing this, she's my best friend and I'd trust her with anything, so I'd go as far to say I'd trust her more than anyone who I was paying, registered or not. I think it's about time the government took a step back and let parents make their own decisions about what is best for their children.

As for those who know unregistered childminders, well the answer there is simple is it not? Report them.

Gizmo
18-03-2010, 07:33 PM
As for those who know unregistered childminders, well the answer there is simple is it not? Report them.

Tried that the answer I got back was - are you sure :panic:

upadaisy
18-03-2010, 08:05 PM
hi there......

i think the issue here is that alot of unregistered childminders just got thrown a rope by the goverment .... they will mind strangers / neighbours / family or friends children and get PAID for it too ..... but no one will be able to PROVE that ..... as all they have to say is " oh thats my best friends childs i do it for free "
makes you think we could say the same and de-reg ourselves ....
"woo no tax to pay" but at least we care for the safety of the children and are fully insured ( god forbid anything were to happen )

if a parent is really leaving their child with a best friend for free thats fine .... i would do that

if its really a person who is doing it on the cheap.... well dont go crying if something goes wrong ......

registered childminders or any person who looks after children should be policed checked .... in this day and age you can't be to sure ....

Pipsqueak
18-03-2010, 10:09 PM
hi there......

i think the issue here is that alot of unregistered childminders just got thrown a rope by the goverment .... they will mind strangers / neighbours / family or friends children and get PAID for it too ..... but no one will be able to PROVE that ..... as all they have to say is " oh thats my best friends childs i do it for free "
"woo no tax to pay" but at least we care for the safety of the children and are fully insured ( god forbid anything were to happen )

if a parent is really leaving their child with a best friend for free thats fine .... i would do that

if its really a person who is doing it on the cheap.... well dont go crying if something goes wrong ......

registered childminders or any person who looks after children should be policed checked .... in this day and age you can't be to sure ....
beautfully said:clapping:

jelly15
18-03-2010, 10:17 PM
hi there......

This is what I would have said if I could express myself better :thumbsup: , I have had friends and relatives look after my own DSs in the past on an occassional basis, but it has opened the door for many to exploit.

Bitsy Beans
19-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Thing is there are already unregistered people CMing and getting away with it. So whilst I can appreciate this looks as though these people are being offered a "get-out" clause are people actually being investigated already for being unregistered CM's?? I am just curious about the prosecution rates? If it's low then I can't see this making a huge difference in the long run since these types of people are already slipping through the net.
Someone has mentioned that there's a woman looking after 5 under the age of 5. If the authorities turned up on her doorstep she'd have a hard time explaining how she'd happily look after so many children for free ;)

Personally given tax credits etc I think most people will continue to use registered CM's. I have no issue with friends doing each ther favours.

crazyhazy
19-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Tried that the answer I got back was - are you sure :panic:

Then surely it won't make a difference anyway, if people are already childminding unregistered and they do nothing, then this won't change it? The way I see it is it is making it easier for people to not worry if they occasionally need a friend to have their children. The way the law was it was ridiculous, if effectively meant even play dates after school were illegal, as you weren't allowed to care for a child for more than 2 hours in your own home.

RedDragon
19-03-2010, 09:31 AM
There is no such thing as an unregistered Childminder.

The two words shouldn't sit next to each other.

:censored:

Not having a go at the people who have written it by the way.xxxx.

upadaisy
23-03-2010, 08:21 PM
hi again

just had a phone call today asking about childcare etc........
the lady said she did'nt need a registered childminder for tax credits as she did not get help with childcare costs....... but she wanted registered childminder for peace of mind ..... she told me she had been talking to a few childminders "not registered" and they were charging more than my price ........ :angry: :angry: :angry: