PDA

View Full Version : Would you ask?

crazyhazy
18-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I have a mum coming to visit me tmrw, looking for full time for her little girl, who happens to be a preschool with my daughter. It would be perfect but the catch is her current childminder has given them notice. I seen the childminder today (know her to say hi to and she knows I'm about to start cming) and she was asking how it was going, chatted a bit and was asking her the same, she commented that she had just given notice to one for "personal reasons" and "you'll soon find out about that side of cming". I didn't enquire any further and obviously she doesn't know the mum is coming to see me.

Obviously I will be meeting the mum tmrw, on the phone she just said they'd had problems with the childminder but didn't elaborate. I could really do with someone full tme and being the same age as my daughter etc would be ideal, but I'm right to be wary aren't I? Depending how tmrw goes, if she wants me to have her child, would you mention to the other childminder? And just see if she says anything further about what happened?

I know she may not but I guess I'm just worried of I was to take this person on and it turned out they were bad for not paying or something I'd be stuck. I only have one under 5 place as well so this would fill it.

Thanks for any advice xx

Daftbat
18-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Given that you know she has moved from another childminder - the parent ha ving already said something- i would ask if i was you. At the end of the day you are not committed to taking the child on and she can always either lie to you, tell the truth, or refuse to comment. Either way you can decide whether its for you or not. Having said that it doesn't always mean that you will have problems just because another minder has - the minder might actually be the problem and not the parent!

suzyblue
18-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I would ask! But remember that you are only hearing one side of the story. If its something like problems with payment you may be able to get around this by insisting on payment direct to your bank and in advance, but I would be very careful. It might just be a clash in personalities and you might not have a problem at all. I think from meeting the parent you will know if she is going to be awkward and demanding. I think you should find out what you can and then make up your own mind. Good luck.

miffy
18-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I'd talk to the parent first - just like you would any other parent and see what you think.

Then I'd ask why they left the other childminder - the mum mentioned it anyway so it's fine to ask.

I'd also get fees paid monthly in advance.

Good luck, trust your instincts and let us know how you get on

Miffy xx

mamasheshe
18-03-2010, 05:11 PM
yeah i'd say so you've used a childminder before so your used to the set up eg obs ,EYFS, ect and see where it takes you ? :D

crazyhazy
18-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks, am hoping it's something like them just not getting on, cos like I said it could be ideal for me. She's coming at 1pm tmrw so will update how I get one.

The Juggler
18-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I think I might be tempted to ask why she'd left the other minder. Just say you know everyone works differently and there is someone for everyone, but you don't want her to be placed in a position, again, where she is with a minder who is not what she is looking for.

Whether she cares to share with you or not, I'd then just be VERY clear about how you work (i.e. you won't be told how to work, what time you start, won't tolerate early arrivals or late pick ups), your policies - especially sickness, holidays and fees, LATE fees in particular - in case any of those were an issue with the other minder.

With any luck she just thought the other minder was not up to scratch and she'll think you are wonderful!:D

jojane
18-03-2010, 06:52 PM
i would ask the parent tomorrow but to be honest i would be tempted to ask the other CM too to get her side of the story - thinking about it though it wouldnt be allowed would it???

Gizmo
18-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I would ask the parent, if she has already mentioned it to you she will probably tell you more when she meets you
When got my first mindee she was at another cm'er I was told all the problems by the cmer and yep she done the same things to me, I dont watch the lo anymore