PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice please

celdemorg
18-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first time on here, I've been childminding since last Apr but just need a bit of advice.

One of my lo's, who I only have for a couple of hours a day, 3 days a week, the thing is when mum picks him up they take ages to go home. Today it actually took her half an hour to go. I tell her what he's been up to and how he's been etc etc., but she just seems to hang around, and sometimes there are just silence. I don't like to be rude but the little subtle hints don't seem to work and I don't really want to literally push them out the door.

So I was just wondering whether anyone has had this problem before and what to say.

xx

Minstrel
18-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Have your coat on and be 'dashing off somewhere important'?

A few times like this and they should get the hint.

Failing that 'Ofsted Rules' always come in handy. Maybe say that anyone on the premises longer than simply dropping/collecting needs a CRB check.

kindredspirits
18-03-2010, 02:38 PM
have everything ready at the door - including LO with shoes/coat and then after you've said all you need to say 'ok see you tomorrow/next week, bye XYZ(LO)' and open the door.

Pipsqueak
18-03-2010, 02:52 PM
fraid there is no other way that what has been suggested or just taking the bull by the horns and saying 'time to go', or just explain to mum that you will have a brief 5 minute chat and then you have to get on. tell her that most things are in the diary and if there is anything significant or important you will ask her in for a chat.

try to break the habit at each collection of chatting.

although i have to say - half hour is pretty tame I used to have one who would stay for nearly 2hrs!

sounds like mum is perhaps a bit lonely? perhaps you could suggest that you have a scheduled monthly half hr to chat and review?

Mookins
18-03-2010, 03:09 PM
do you think maybe shes got something she wants to say....maybe shes trying to say something but doesnt know how? id ask her (mainly cos im nosey) perhaps then she get the hint too

x x x

suzyblue
18-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Im ashamed to say it but I used to be one of those mums!!! I was very lonely at home, moved to new area, worked in London so no friends or family around, husband neither use nor ornament, so I used to hang around cos she made me feel welcome and I enjoyed her company.
As a childminder though its very annoying!! Take it as a compliment but you need to be tough. Have everything organised and by the door, when she comes have a quick chat while getting child shoes on and then start handing her the bags (and child) and open the front door. If child starts running away I try clapping my hands and say (firmly) 'right come on its time to go' and parent should take the hint. If this doesnt work you will have to keep the mum on the doorstep and take child to her - not easy tho if she wants to chat. Good luck!