PDA

View Full Version : SPEECH PROBLEMS - HELP!

sfox2003
18-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi

I have a new mindee shes 23 months. She doesnt seem to be able to say much. The only words I have ever heard her say is yummy & 1,2,3,4,5 (not in the right order though).

Thats it. No please, thank you. If you ask her to point to her nose she just looks at you like she doesnt even understand. She turns to her name though so its not her hearing.

When I give her simple instructions she looks at me like Im daft!

Its frustrating for me as I am aware mum & dad have their concerns about it but have no plans to take her to see anyone. Dad asked me this morning what I was going to do about her speech issues. I felt a bit out of my depth - I mean im not a speech therapist.

Ive been talking to her A LOT. Weve sat together & done story sacks, lots of one on one attention. Its only been 3 days. Shes not been to nursery/childminder before so now shes mixing with other children she may come on leaps and bounds.

How would you handle the situation?

Chanelle
18-03-2010, 02:19 PM
To start with it is very early days in your setting so she may be a little shy. After a few weeks she may open up more and be more willing to 'talk' or repeat words when looking at books.

I would suggest the parents ask their health visitor for a referral to a speech therapist. I did this when my son had his 2 yr check and is now regularly attending. He has made great progress and may not need an Early Years Action Plus when he goes to school. The key is to get intervention early.

Well done to you for recognizing the issue too.

:)

sarah707
18-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I would handle it exactly as you are!

Lots of talking, lots of interactive games, lots of books with puppets... give her time and space to talk.

Some children are silent by choice in a new situation until they feel more comfortable so don't push her to answer questions, just immerse her in language and that's what you can advise parents to do as well!

Maybe show them your story sacks and give them ideas for how they can talk to her... some parents aren't good at doing that.

Hth :D

Leanne59
18-03-2010, 08:31 PM
my ds1 has speech difficuities and we found singing song helped, even if he didnt join in, i could of cryed when he sang happy birthday to me for the first time! look up ican on google, they have good information and dvds for the child and you to watch. hope this helps.