PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to tell Ofsted if you have tablets from the doctors?

Cazz
18-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I've just been given some co-codomal from the doctor which I have to take when needed.

I bent down to put the pushchair in the car this morning and my back went. It hurt so much I screamed out loud :blush:

I may be having my 11 month old tomorrow if mum has not gone into labour (due tomorrow!) and providing I can actually move myself tomorrow morning!

Do I need to inform Ofsted about the tablets or is that just for a course of antibiotics?

Also, I should have had my Ofsted inspection last Friday but had to close due to the leak through my kitchen ceiling. If she phones this afternoon to see if I'm working tomorrow should I mention that I've hurt my back and as long as I am able I should be working? I don't want her to think I keep fobbing her off or anything put obviously I don't want her coming round when I'm not fully capable of playing/lifting the little one.

I just can't believe the 2 weeks I've had - all this has got to come to an end soon surely!

miss mopple
18-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Ive never informed ofsted of anything I have taken. Ive never heard that we should and cant see that they would be worried unless it impacts the care of the children.

Wouldnt occurr to me to let them know

Hope you feel better soon

moogster1a
18-03-2010, 01:14 PM
No you don't have to tell me about any tablets you're on. Not even antibiotics. It's none of their business and I would view it as a gross invasion of privacy if They ever enquired!!

sandy64
18-03-2010, 01:19 PM
hi ive never heard of informing ofsted when taking any medication. you only inform then when any minded lo or your own family have a notifiable illness:)

Cazz
18-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Well maybe I dreamt it but I'm sure I read/heard that you should inform them if you are on certain medications?

:huh:

aly
18-03-2010, 01:44 PM
mAYBE THATS MEDICATION FOR depressione tc??...i dont think theyw ould be happy to be told you were on antibiotics all the time {not you but cms]
I don't see how they would need to know about anti b's??

Blaze
18-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Page 31 EYFS Statutory Framework
Alcohol/other substances
When working directly with children, practitioners must not be under the influence of alcohol or any
other substance which may affect their ability to care for children.
Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard
Practitioners taking medication which they believe may affect their ability to care for children should
seek medical advice and only work directly with children if that advice is that the medication is
unlikely to impair their ability to look after children."

...basically you have to ask your Dr about any medication prescribed & it's effect on your ability to look after LO's. If the Dr says you will be effected or in doubt contact OFSTED & follow their guidence. HTH:)

Cazz
18-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Page 31 EYFS Statutory Framework & there's info in the statutory guidance as well...basically you have to ask your Dr about any medication prescribed & it's effect on your ability to look after LO's. If the Dr says you will be effected or in doubt contact OFSTED & follow their guidence. HTH:)

Thanks Blaze - I'm not going mad after all!!

I did mention to the doctor that I was a childminder and due to work tomorrow which is why I wanted something stronger than paracetamol. He didn't say that it would be a problem for me to look after little one so I assume I don't need to let them know then!

Blaze
18-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Have edited my original post with the exact wording from the EYFS. I would just put a note in your diary (or elsewhere if more appropriate - depends on your paperwork) that you spoken to the Dr re thepossibility of the medication effecting you.:thumbsup:

Winnie
18-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Some medication can make you tired, sleepy or confused & in those circumstances you should take advice from your doctor and inform Ofsted. Only your you & your doctor can say how a drug will affect you.
If you were to have an accident while taking medication and it could be proved that the drug made you dizzy then you could be trouble with ofsted and your insurance and parents could sue you for negligence. However lots of people are on regular medication & work :rolleyes: Its a good idea to have a drugs, alcohol and smoking policy :)

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 02:26 PM
i take co codamol regularly for and old spine injury (broke my neck six years ago:eek:)
I try to take them when kids not here...but if i have to i will take one and a paracetamol . Co codamol can make you wooozy..very...and i am an old pro!
I used to take more powerful painkillers (top shelf stuff IYKWIM) and now can live with the pain taking co codamol.

I put it on my med form when i registered last year...my gp was asked for more info..i didnt need any interview or exam.

i suggest something topical too...movelat is good...my OH thinks it is some sort of kinky back rub for me!:blush:

love mandy x

ps...DONT DRINK WITH THEM>>>YOU WILL BE ON YOUR BACK!

LOOPYLISA
18-03-2010, 02:30 PM
They can make you woozy, be careful and no drinking :laughing:

kindredspirits
18-03-2010, 02:33 PM
definately make sure you have had some before working rather than taking your first dose with mindees iykwim - co-codamol makes me feel woozy, sick and tearful so i don't take them anymore i would rather suffer pain than feel like i need to be laying in a dark room. as long as they don't affect you like that then you shouldn't need to inform ofsted as your gp has said its ok for you to work.

WibbleWobble
18-03-2010, 02:35 PM
also they give me cotton wool mouth...horrible...but the pain aaaarrrrrghhhh:panic: i still have to take them

Pauline
18-03-2010, 02:46 PM
No you don't have to tell me about any tablets you're on. Not even antibiotics. It's none of their business and I would view it as a gross invasion of privacy if They ever enquired!!

You give up that right to privacy when you register with them as a childminder.

You DO have to notify them of certain medication - as the previous posts have explained.

Rubybubbles
18-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Make sure your next to a loo haha

Hope you feel better soon hun, you can only see how they affect you! I go very lightheaded and they go right through me:blush:

tracey36
18-03-2010, 02:53 PM
im pretty sure you dont have to inform ofsted of every tablet you take, are there certain things you have to tell them about then?

Cazz
18-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I have taken my first two and I must admit I feel a bit sleepy, light headed and have a bit of a headache.

If my little one comes tomorrow I'm not going to take them before and during the time he's with me - I'll manage on paracetamol.

I just had a withheld number phone and think it's possibly Ofsted :panic: I'm going to try and do a few jobs and see if I can cope with the pain so I know whether I'll be able to cope with the little one (my crier) tomorrow.

sarah707
18-03-2010, 06:05 PM
im pretty sure you dont have to inform ofsted of every tablet you take, are there certain things you have to tell them about then?

As stated in the above posts, the Eyfs says you must inform them about anything that might affect your ability to do your job.

if you are not sure, then best give them a ring and check :D