PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

Suzanne11
18-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi all, I am newly registered but not planning on advertising just yet as I'm 5 months pregnant, anyway I have a friend who has asked my sis in law to look after her toddler once a week and she will pay her. I said I dont think you can do this as its not legal, she isn't a CM. Is this correct? Also she mentioned maybe 'sharing' childcare with a friend i.e. one has both their kids one day and the other has them another day so they can both work an extra day and not pay childcare. Is this legal?

I told her I dont think you can 'share' as you will both be benifitting financially from the arrangement but she said they have changed the law after the 2 policewomen got in trouble.

Whats the rules?

Thanks

littlestar
18-03-2010, 11:37 AM
im not sure of the rules but i did hear the story about the 2 police ladies and notice abit of an uproar i think it is against the rules and not allowed excepting payment is deff not allowed:)

Ripeberry
18-03-2010, 11:41 AM
The shared childcare is OK, but no money or gifts must change hands.

devoncm
18-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought you cant even share childcare asboth parties are benefitting from it iyswim, i thught you only didnt have to be reg if it was family or under 2 hrs a day

Alibali
18-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought you cant even share childcare asboth parties are benefitting from it iyswim, i thught you only didnt have to be reg if it was family or under 2 hrs a day

I think it was decided that the law was open to misinterpretation and the Gov said that in circumstances like this it is OK to share childcare as long as no money changes hands.

Fabby
18-03-2010, 01:18 PM
call ofsted to clarify! it is a bit of a grey area i think, i am under the impression that it would be illegal because they are both beneffiting from it financially and that is classed as a reward

JJAY
18-03-2010, 06:37 PM
The outcome of this case was that it was ok to look after each others children but no payment of any kind must take palce.

the_raisons
31-08-2010, 06:08 PM
No, anyone caring for someone elses child has to be registered if they are taking money.

onceinabluemoon
31-08-2010, 07:59 PM
After the thing with the two police women the government stepped in and told ofsted they were getting above themselves (well pretty much that anyway, lol) and that two parents can look after each others kids as long as no payment takes place. Reciprocal childcare is legal and above board.

Taking money for childcare in the 'childminders' own home is illegal unless they are registered.

That's the law as I understand it...

BUT not sure about over 8s. I *think* you can still care for over 8s in your home and get paid for it.

jane5
22-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Is it legal to look after my nephew before I am registered and to be paid or can I only get paid after my registration comes through? :confused:

kindredspirits
23-09-2010, 07:20 AM
You cannot receive payment UNTIL you are registered.

Tribe_mummy
23-09-2010, 08:09 AM
BUT not sure about over 8s. I *think* you can still care for over 8s in your home and get paid for it.

That's right as I confirmed this with ofsted a couple of weeks ago, over 8s is voluntary registration

jane5
23-09-2010, 09:03 AM
You cannot receive payment UNTIL you are registered.

Thanks for that, I should be registered around the time my SIL goes back to work but I don't want to start my career on the wrong side of the law!!!