PDA

View Full Version : looks like i'm taking a break from cming!

chewy sweets
18-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I still want to keep my childminding registration open but i'm looks like going to be working as a nanny soon. Been looking into it and there's no support online really for nanny's. If anyone knows of a site please let me know. This site has been great for all my questions regarding cminding. Not sure what to do now! If anyone on here has had any experience of nannying or knows a bit about it could you please reply. As the family want me to be a self employed nanny and looking online i don't know whether i can be self employed?????

Blaze
18-03-2010, 10:41 AM
You wouldn't be a nanny - a nanny is employed - you would be a CMer looking after the child in their own home:thumbsup:

birch24
18-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Surely a self employed nanny IS a childminder :laughing: :laughing:

chewy sweets
18-03-2010, 11:42 AM
You wouldn't be a nanny - a nanny is employed - you would be a CMer looking after the child in their own home:thumbsup:

is that right would i still be classed as a childminder? Because i wouldn't be looking after any children from my home. How would this work with inspections then?? Also could the mum just use my childminding registration to claim tax credits???? This would be so much easier!

Ripeberry
18-03-2010, 11:48 AM
You need to ring Ofsted and say that you want to change to a Home childminder and you can be inspected (i think) but only if the owner of the house give them permission to enter.
I think it would be good to be a self-employed nanny as then you won't get half as much 'being taken advantage of' compared to employed nannies who can't even decide when they go on holiday.
At least you can negotiate your terms as a professional :thumbsup:

chewy sweets
18-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Do they really have to inspect the children's home. Because it's where they live so obviously the parents are happy!

Ripeberry
18-03-2010, 12:09 PM
They inspect people on the voluntuary childcare register at random but they can't inspect you if the people you work for don't let them in the house.
As long as you are not working with more than two different famillies, then go for it :)

Bananabrain
18-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Just had this exact same conversation with Offie and NCMA.
Hopefully going to be looking after children in their home on Sats for a single dad who needs respite care.
Ofsted said that I would be classed as a home childcarer and it's as simple as filling in a form {downloadable apparently**
NCMA reckons extra ins will be £30. Although I'm not entirely sure how I can have 'nanny ins' when I'm not a qualified nanny??????
Why is everything sooooooo hard?:laughing:

The Juggler
18-03-2010, 12:18 PM
is that right would i still be classed as a childminder? Because i wouldn't be looking after any children from my home. How would this work with inspections then?? Also could the mum just use my childminding registration to claim tax credits???? This would be so much easier!

will the new mum not allow you to look after her child at your house?

chewy sweets
18-03-2010, 08:22 PM
will the new mum not allow you to look after her child at your house?

She has 3 children and it will involve me sleeping over when she does night shifts.I don't have the room for them here so it would have to be in her house. It's mostly evening and night work. Phoned cssiw today and they told me there was no way i could work as a cm and care for the children in their own home. Phone hmrevenue and customs today too and they said i can be a self employed nanny. Easiest thing to do is change my cm insurance to nanny insurance and notify cssiw that i'm taking a break from childminding.:thumbsup:

Thanks for advice ladies! :thumbsup:

The Juggler
18-03-2010, 09:11 PM
She has 3 children and it will involve me sleeping over when she does night shifts.I don't have the room for them here so it would have to be in her house. It's mostly evening and night work. Phoned cssiw today and they told me there was no way i could work as a cm and care for the children in their own home. Phone hmrevenue and customs today too and they said i can be a self employed nanny. Easiest thing to do is change my cm insurance to nanny insurance and notify cssiw that i'm taking a break from childminding.:thumbsup:

Thanks for advice ladies! :thumbsup:

:blush: :blush: oh yes, remember you said on another post didn't you. good luck with it honx

Blaze
18-03-2010, 09:18 PM
:blush: :blush: :blush: Sorry didn't look at your location!:doh:
...Glad you got it sorted:)