PDA

View Full Version : child's speech problems....any advice please

julie w
18-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I care for a 2 year old 3 days a week. She is only just 2 and has been with me about 5 weeks now. She talks a lot but her speech is terrible that most of the time only her mum can understand her. I have been on a course about speech development where we had to try to talk with lollies in our mouths. And the result is exactly how this child speaks. She ALWAYS has a dummy in her mouth. I've tried explaining to mum about it, but she insists she doesnt have it all the time. I'm so sure she does. She comes with it in, and mum puts it in soon as she collects her. Apart from calling mum a liar I can do no more . However she doesnt have it here at all, though she walks round with her fist in her mouth. She cant say 'p' or 'b' 's at all. So what i'm asking is does anyone have any ideas of things I can do with her whilst she's in my care to improve her speech. She cannot seem to copy or repeat any sounds I make. Any help, ideas and advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

miffy
18-03-2010, 08:42 AM
There are some excellent resources on this website

http://www.ican.org.uk/

I agree with you about the dummy and if you google dummies and language development you will find some interesting articles.

If you can take the dummy away when the child is with you that will be a start and keep talking to mum about it.

Miffy xx

Leanne59
18-03-2010, 09:09 AM
There are some excellent resources on this website

http://www.ican.org.uk/

I agree with you about the dummy and if you google dummies and language development you will find some interesting articles.

If you can take the dummy away when the child is with you that will be a start and keep talking to mum about it.

Miffy xx

Thats great I got two DVDs and alots of information from i can. It help my ds1 lots.

Pipsqueak
18-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I was talking to a speech therapist yesterday about the 2yr old I care for - who has single word utterances - not clear at all, and about a repertoire of about 3/4 words.

She was telling me that go back to the beginning - start with making all the baby noises to encourage the speech sound development - the pulling of faces etc etc. Can recommend ICan. I would perhaps print parent of lots of info about dummies, speech etc and the impact of lack speech for when they start school.

The ST is going to email me a list of words that an 'average' 2yr old should be coming out with clearly so that me and mum can tick of what we are hearing and together we are going to make a speech referral.

devoncm
18-03-2010, 09:37 AM
My step son is 5 and still has probs with speech, he is getting better now that speech therapist will do something since he started school, but he still srtuggles with b, p l s type letters, like when he says alyaha my dd, he always said it deeda and ellie would be ewee, alot for him though is i dont think his mum helps him at home so he is lazy with his speech when here, its harder to understand when he is talking fast too.

Mookins
18-03-2010, 09:54 AM
i used to work with adults with learning disabilities...one of the ladies was deaf and she was learning the difference between P and B by feeling it on her hand when you say it....hard to explain in writing but P feels like a puff of air and b isalmost vibrating as the noise comes out..very interesteing ...done know if it will help though

x x x