PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any idea's

babs
17-03-2010, 09:41 PM
ok i have a 32 month old( new starter 2 weeks ago) has settled in well, but i cant seem to be able to find anything that interests her, she has free access to dolls,prams,garage,building blocks,jigsaw's,kitchen,dressing up table and clothes,constrution toys,animals,books,music instruments messy play,outdoor play, play groups 3 times a week. she will pick something up look at it then dump it in middle of my kitchen then go get her blanket and lie on settee saying shes tired, she dont take blanket or dummy when we go to play group but even there she doesnt really join in or mix just sits there looking around then after about 30 minutes wants to come home, ive done painting with her 3 times now 1st time she wouldnt even pick up brush or touch paint , 2nd time i managed to get her to do some hand prints that took 5 minutes no joke before she wanted to get down from table improvement from 1st time thou and today mixing paints into colour green and painting took around 15 minutes. ive even set up activites and tried to play with her but shes not having any of it just looks at me and walks off. all she seems to want to do is lie on settee and watch tv . last week i let her have her own way when she wanted tv on, but have now put my foot down as tv doesnt normally go on at all some days. sorry for long post hope it makes sense, but if anyone has any ideas please help . i am willing to try anything..

Carpet Monkeys
17-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Have you asked her mum what she plays with at home? Or is she dumped infront of the tv, day in day out!? Perhaps she just needs to be taught how to play!

babs
17-03-2010, 09:51 PM
yeh asked mum she just said oh she plays with anything, but last few months her older sister has been looking after her and tbh get impession that they laid in bed till rd 12 then mum came in at 1. i do feel she needs to be taught how to play myself but lo just comes out with u do it, ive had out every toy ive got, played in garden with her i throw a ball she looks at it and says u get it ( one thing i should lose some weight)

Chell
17-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd be firm and tell her that the TV isn't going on. From what I was told, OFSTED would not be happy with the TV being on constantly. I was told that perhaps half an hour a day is ok while you watch (and discuss) what is on together but having there for back ground noise isn't acceptable.

babs
17-03-2010, 10:01 PM
i agree tv doesnt normally go on ,with other mindees some times we can go days without it on, so this week i have put my foot down but feel like im banging my head against a brick wall... tbh if i said oh u can go upstairs and raid my sons room i think she would, likes to be in to anything she shouldnt touch.ie found her yesterday in my wall unit in living room id only gone out to get her a drink. i set up activities for when she arrives in a morning and if i dont say shall we play with this they can still be in same place 3 hours later.. oh she does like miss polly had a dolly and has learnt some of the actions over the last week so i even got a doll to do actions with but she just watches...

miffy
17-03-2010, 10:17 PM
I think you need to talk to mum again - perhaps ask her to write down what they've done over the weekend - what lo's played with and for how long etc. It might give you an insight what happens at home.

Miffy xx

nannymcflea
17-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I think you need to talk to mum again - perhaps ask her to write down what they've done over the weekend - what lo's played with and for how long etc. It might give you an insight what happens at home.

Miffy xx

Also what about sending a toy home, "George dog" was used at our house, with a diary for mum to fill in then you try and engage her in what she and the toy did over the weekend.

babs
18-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Also what about sending a toy home, "George dog" was used at our house, with a diary for mum to fill in then you try and engage her in what she and the toy did over the weekend.
thanks ill speak to mum when she drops lo off in a bit.... idea of a toy is a good idea thanks

The Juggler
18-03-2010, 09:25 AM
it might just be down to her still feeling a little insecure. Children won't explore/engage properly with their environment until they feel totally secure. If it's only been a few weeks then she might be still a little wary. does she stay near you/follow you?

babs
18-03-2010, 01:10 PM
it might just be down to her still feeling a little insecure. Children won't explore/engage properly with their environment until they feel totally secure. If it's only been a few weeks then she might be still a little wary. does she stay near you/follow you?

no not really i get down on floor with say dolls house and figures and play ask her if she wants to join in she just sits on settee watching ............................. but today she put the sister figure in the bath saying she needed a wash... a break though maybe :)

terrydoo73
18-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I had a little one exactly same. He came to me at 9 months old and developed these signs shortly after Christmas past by which stage he was 2 1/2 years of age. Spoke to mum to try and see if there was anything I was doing wrong, what he played with at home etc to which I promptly lost the child!

Mum said the little boy liked to go out to the garage and finger daddys tools which I couldn't obviously do in my setting. I said he did ask me for the tv on and she said well you do have it on every day referring to the first week after Christmas - my daughter was off school hence it being on a lot. I guess I was to blame for that one! But it is my house and my rules really.

I was rather annoyed as had went out and bought new toys - trains, trucks, tools for dressing up set etc but he just fingered them and dropped them where they were and ran over to the couch. He would have spent a large part of the day rolling either on the couch or floor. I tried him outside as mum said he loved being out but that resulted in him saying everything was his and crying if someone took the trike or car or tractor to ride on. On hindsight I guess I should have handled the situation better but I just hadn't a clue what to do. By constantly referring to the problem mum felt I didn't really want him there. She called in her own health worker who advised her to withdraw him from my setting and take him to a Sure Start setting to help him mingle with other children as I wasn't providing the correct stimulaton in my place!

I still have his sister who is 4 and I think mum is looking for a definate cause to remove her too!

Just be careful how you approach it is all I am saying!

The Juggler
18-03-2010, 01:44 PM
no not really i get down on floor with say dolls house and figures and play ask her if she wants to join in she just sits on settee watching ............................. but today she put the sister figure in the bath saying she needed a wash... a break though maybe :)

sounds like a breakthrough - a little one. I think she may just be still warming up. However, I know from experience that those children who do watch/are put in front of Tv a lot at home, will fidn it hard to just play. They do need to be show - a lot - what to do as they are used to just sitting mesmerized by the box. So a lot of interactive role play with you, a lot of you modelling smallword play and lots of wow! look at this etc. might encourage her to think/play for herself.

Good luckx

babs
25-03-2010, 10:06 PM
just a quick update .... lo is progressing well , i have done lots of role playing with her and had nqv assessor here yesterday had to do role play, lo was well into playing away with kitchen making cups of tea and coffee, putting a sandwich together for me ( shoving it in my mouth saying go on barbie we can share) had to explain we pretend as plastic is way to hard to eat:laughing: also at home her cat has had kittens so went and brought a kitten in a basket and shes had loads of fun playing with it. also at playgroup has made 2 friends little boy who she sits with up a corner and giggles the whole time they are together not sure what they are giggling at and older little girl who she copes when playing... also she loves painting now, shes not to keen on sticky stuff spends loads of time peeling glue off fingers lol...
thanks for all replys....

The Juggler
26-03-2010, 07:21 AM
just a quick update .... lo is progressing well , i have done lots of role playing with her and had nqv assessor here yesterday had to do role play, lo was well into playing away with kitchen making cups of tea and coffee, putting a sandwich together for me ( shoving it in my mouth saying go on barbie we can share) had to explain we pretend as plastic is way to hard to eat:laughing: also at home her cat has had kittens so went and brought a kitten in a basket and shes had loads of fun playing with it. also at playgroup has made 2 friends little boy who she sits with up a corner and giggles the whole time they are together not sure what they are giggling at and older little girl who she copes when playing... also she loves painting now, shes not to keen on sticky stuff spends loads of time peeling glue off fingers lol...
thanks for all replys....

glad it's going well hon.x