PDA

View Full Version : Assistants and numbers ... confused!

LittleStar's
17-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I have my husband registered as my assistant, he has peadiatric cert and I have just written off requesting that he can be left with mindees for school run etc so jst awaiting a reply! that bit sorted

He is registering himself and has pre reg tomorow morning!

Ok so paperwork first! I have a raising concerns policy , what other paperwork do I need for him, do I need to record his hours , if so would Ofsted be happy if I have something printed ready to start using now as we havnt been doing that.

secondly numbers ! on my reg certificate it says

may care for no more than 4 children under 8; of these, not more than 1 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any time.
When working with an assistant , may care for no more than 6 children under 8 , not more than 4 may be in the early years group, and of these not more than 2 may be under 1 year at any time.

I have 2 children myself which are in the early years age range, and I know that the nmbers above are aswell as my own 2.

one of my own children goes to preschool every morning, this is when I go to toddler groups , when I first registered my husband, I was taking 1 of my own children and 2 mindees to the groups, but my husand was coming with me because I had more than 1 mindee (which is all im alloud by myself).

Hope this is making sense!

Anyway I was at one of the groups and all the other childminders said that I didnt have to bring husband because of the numbers it says 'when working with an assistant' and I still wasnt over the 3;1 ratio.

Is this right ????

As its his pre reg tomorow I was going to take 3 little ones to children centre but worried that i may not be alloud to do this..... help?

tulip0803
17-03-2010, 09:02 PM
The way I read it is that when you do not have an assistant with you you can only care for one mindee in early years age group. When you have him with you you can care for 4 mindees in early years. This does not include your own children who are always included in our numbers whether they are with us or not we are responsible for them. Your little one cannot be discounted from your numbers when at pre-school until he is rising 5 and at full-time school then he will be counted as a 5-7 year old.

I think it means that when he is at his pre-reg you can only have one mindee as he is not working with you - he is in a meeting. It may invalidate your insurance & registration if there is a problem at any time. I think you need to clarify with OFSTED.

LittleStar's
18-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Thankyou for that , Im glad I asked the question, Ofsted inspector confirmed your answer was correct.

Now I need to inform the other childminder that advised me this! x x x x