PDA

View Full Version : Toys and materials

SparklingGems
17-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Toys-

I am pre reg at the min. I have a baby of my own so have alot of toys for under 3 years.

Im not intending to have any after school kids straight away.

I have seen on this site about people mentioning natural toys and treasure baskets. What do these contain?

If I wanna do craft/art activities for under 3's what type of materials will I need.

At the min I have no outdoor toys as my baby is still young. I need to get some outdoor toys but have very limited storage- any ideas of outdoor toys for under 3's would be appreciated.

Where can I get multicultural toys from?

Thanks

green puppy
17-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Treasure baskets contain whatever you want, they can have a selection of different colour/texture materials-sponges, silk, felt, lace, shiny wrapping paper, short lengths of ribbon etc.... Others have brushes, fir cones, small tea strainers, little whisks, large safe shells. Basically anything for the baby to touch, look at, smell and explore. When my mindees were about 7 mths we started off with messy play using gloop, porrige oats and water, angel delight for painting, jelly, cold pasta, cooked rice. As they get older offer paints, water to paint the walls outside, chalks, crayons, different materials to stick. In the garden I have ride on's, little cars, a plastic dog bed that I put sand in, little trolleys, pushchairs. You don't need much a plastic tray with sides will hold sand etc and a washing up bowl for water play is fine, these can all be stored easily.

tracey36
17-03-2010, 01:59 PM
treasure baskets can be expensive to buy but i made one up myself including all sorts of things incuding all different textures including wooden pegs tinsel crinkly celophane metal wisk etc i brought a cheap basket to store them in but you could use anything

green puppy
17-03-2010, 02:00 PM
If you google multi culteral toys it will bring up some websites, elc also do happy land people that reflect diversity. Also puzzles and books and instruments reflect different cultures.

SparklingGems
17-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for you kind advice think I will look into doing some treasure baskets. Can you just get stuff from outdoors or do they have to be bought?

What is gloop? :blush:

I hadnt thought about pasta and rice wont the small children choke on the rice tho?

Do you do your treasure baskets to follow a theme?

SparklingGems
17-03-2010, 03:06 PM
If you google multi culteral toys it will bring up some websites, elc also do happy land people that reflect diversity. Also puzzles and books and instruments reflect different cultures.

I tried to google it but there is so many different bits just not sure what is best to get.

Do I need to get multi skintone crayons?

green puppy
17-03-2010, 06:59 PM
You can follow a theme ie all fabrics, wood, metal,colours. I once did a fruit one when mine were 7 and 10 mths, put in a lemon, large orange, banana, plum, pear, apple and grapefruit. They loved it because of the different smells, textures, shapes and the tastes. Fir cones from outside are ok as long as they are clean and safe. You will probably find lots around the house or cheaply in charity shops. Again google for some ideas. Sarah has a book on her website all about treasure baskets. Gloop is made with corn flour and water, for younger children I cooked the rice til very soft for a mushy texture, you can also add colours. Just remember with any messy play edible or not to check about allergies first with parents. I don't have skin tone crayons at the moment, my mindees are 2.5 and under. I have ethnic baby dolls, boy and girl dolls, fisher price/happy land people in a wheel chair, with glasses, old young, different skin tones. Books showing different faiths, cultures, looks, houses, disabilities. Don't rush to get lots at once just collect as you go. Charity shops and car boots are good as long as everything is safe. Have a look at the childminding shop and kids like me for ideas, although some bits can be more expensive.

caz3007
17-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Recently I bought Josie Jump from Balamory from Ebay, there are lots on them on there and really cheap too. My LO's love it and it gets undressed regularly :)