PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fair rule?

Minstrel
17-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I have to do the school run by car, and I am so sick and tired of all the bickering and arguing and tale telling that I told them all this morning that there is to be no more talking in the car.

I have my own two ds's and mindee age 7. I feel mean blaming him but i really do think its my mindee who starts it/ triggers it because i have no problem whatever with my own when i'm not working. He turns everything into a race or competition and I am increasingly finding it difficult to concentrate and get stressed by it. I realise this is typical of children but i just don't want it going on in the car.

I have tried distraction with games but this makes it worse! Do you think its fair to have a no talking rule? (its only as very short journey)

littlestar
17-03-2010, 10:33 AM
i think it is totally fair if they cant get on then fine and it is very dangerous if you can't concentrate i would do some arts and crafts activities on saftey in the car im sure there should be some on ****** or make some yourself about it

christine e
17-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Yep it is. You have risk asessed and made this decison.

Cx

Jelly Baby
17-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I know how you feel!! I posted a while back about this and had sturn words with the kids and parents in the end as it is just not on..i have to drive for about 10 mins and tbh i cant believe at times it could be so hard! Things improved for a while but it is slowly reverting back to how it was and im determined not to let it. My oldest mindee swore again last night on the way home which i was so so cross about as he is 8..not on, never the less Dad had harsh words and we will see how it goes..grr!!
this morning the 2 boys i take decided to again wind the girl i have up resorting her to tears just as we went in..drives me mad tbh.

I have had a new enquiry which would mean losing the boys but would be the same money..although the boys are hard work some days i only do 20 mins a day with them for good money so am trying to stick it out at the mo.

I printed a 'car bingo' off for 2 of mine last week as they went on holiday and thought it may help on the car journey..looks good..take a look may sort a few days out at least!

Good luck let us know how it goes!

The Juggler
17-03-2010, 02:30 PM
ask all the parents to buy a cheap mp3 then plug them all in when they are sitting in the car!

sandy64
17-03-2010, 02:34 PM
sellotape sounds like a good idea lol:laughing: its hard when your driving to concentrate when there argueing so yes good idea you could always make it a game to see who can keep quiet for longest.:)

sunflower
17-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I think its a fair rule

:laughing: :laughing: i tell mine all the time to shhhh
as i have to watch the road :laughing:

Tina O
17-03-2010, 02:42 PM
totally agree with you, you need to be able to concentrate on the driving.....

will they listern to story CD's I use them a lot in the car, get them from library and the kids normally want to hear the story..... have had horrid henry, horrible history, doc who, harry potter etc inthe past....

Minstrel
17-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Great ideas but the journey is soooooo short (less than a mile!) that its not worth it. Silence is much quicker!

Merry-Minder
17-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I would go with silence - maybe do that old school game (not sure if you know it) 'silence in the courtyard, silence in the street the biggest twit in England is just about to speak' - you may want to alter the word twit not sure how 'pc' that word is, but if its only a short journey then maybe that will work???

Carol M
17-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I ask for quiet when driving and have explained the safety aspect to the children but do have to remind them sometimes!
I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask for silence from the older ones.
Carol:)

nannymcflea
17-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Make them walk!:rolleyes:

Minstrel
17-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Make them walk!:rolleyes:

Oh i would love to!

This is just o the first school where mindee gets out and the only part of the journey thats a problem.

I then go back the way i came, past my house and another mile to my sons school. They have to be there within 10 mins of each other so walking isn't an option :(