PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice please!

berkschick
17-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I had an email on Friday asking if I had a vacancy for before school care 7.30am - 9am term time only. The hours are perfect for me as I am quite happy not cooking any mindees tea at the mo lol so I said I could do it. Then she told me it was for the school that is literally 5 mins away but my kids dont go to that one :panic: So I emailed back saying I cant do it as it is a 10 min walk between schools and they only go in 5 mins apart. I gave her names and numbers of 3 minders I know who do cover her school and left it at that.

She has emailed me again today saying that she has spoken to the school and as long as he is there by 8.55am thats fine. My kids go in at 8.45am so at a push ( and with the triple buggy too) I could just about manage it, although Im not hugely keen! I mailed back saying I charge £5 per hour ( I dont!) and she said thats fine, no problem.

Gggrrrr! I couldnt say no!

So I suggested we did a dummy together run on Wednesday to see how it went thinking it wouldnt work and she will look elsewhere. She has just emailed me saying "Thats a great idea. J cant wait to meet you. You have come very highly recommended from my friend as you look after her daughter G. I know I will be happy leaving him with you as G parents cant praise you enough." :blush:

So now I feel in a right awkward position!

Its good money for little work but I am worried about over loading myself and worried about all the running between schools!

flora
17-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Well you have got in a bit of a pickle , haven't you hun :D

I would see how you go, do the dummy runs and then say to mum you'll have to see how you go during you trial period. Explain that you would like to care for her child espacially as you have come reccomended, but you do have reservations as to how this is all gonna work.

Make sure you have that trial period wriiten in to your contract and then if it really doens't work and you are left running ragged, you can give notice?

Trouble
17-03-2008, 08:34 PM
what flora wrote makes sense, thats the best you can do

you will loose weight thou going to and fro

sorry not funny

berkschick
17-03-2008, 08:35 PM
I am at the point of no return I think :panic:

Just had a thought though, She is friends with G parents. G is dropped at 8.30am here and then Dad goes on to take G brother to the school J goes to, they are even in the same class!

If the dummy run didnt work, would it be acceptable to suggest that maybe G Dad could take J to school with G brother? It is literally a 5 min walk if that. We are at the end of a cul de sac and the school is at the other end.

Obviously his is something they would have to sort out between themselves but thought it was another idea to make it work!

Trouble
17-03-2008, 08:37 PM
sounds good just in case:laughing:

Banana
17-03-2008, 08:38 PM
i agree with Flora...... since you have kind of not left yourself an option at the mo.

but i probably would have said no - simply because it keaves you no time to be a minute or 2 late and given that kids are unpredictable you could be rushing around like a madwoman and it will only make you stressed. I suppose it depends how organised you are (i wouldnt trust myself lol)

x

Monkey1
17-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Debbie just see how it goes on your trial run. Don't worry about it till it happens, it may go better than you think! x

casey's mum
17-03-2008, 08:44 PM
i agree with Flora...... since you have kind of not left yourself an option at the mo.

but i probably would have said no - simply because it keaves you no time to be a minute or 2 late and given that kids are unpredictable you could be rushing around like a madwoman and it will only make you stressed. I suppose it depends how organised you are (i wouldnt trust myself lol)

x

I agree, starting the day in a rush and getting stressed isn't good for you.
Good luck I hope you get the result you want.

Angela xx

berkschick
17-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Im not worried about the walking, I need the exercise!

I am quite an organised person, not much good at anything else mind you!

If I can get the little lad to school on time then I dont mind doing it.

But Im worried about him being late everyday, I will feel really guilty :panic:

Im glad I suggested the dummy run with Mum in tow, then she will be able to see what it will be like too.

You never know, it might be ok!

Thanks for the replys, I really need to learn to say no!

sarah707
17-03-2008, 09:02 PM
£5 an hour! Just keep focussing on that! Good luck! :D

miffy
17-03-2008, 10:22 PM
When you say dummy run are you taking the triple buggy fully loaded too?

Actually I think asking the other mindees dad to take him to school would be the best solution and save an awful lot of dashing around - you could have him from 7.30 to 8.30 and then hand over to dad

miffy xx

Tatia
18-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Yup, I agree with Miffy. I'd ask about the child being taken to school with the classmate's father. Seems the perfect solution and you are still £25 better off for little work.

berkschick
18-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Result!

When G was dropped off this morning, he said J Mum and I have had a think and how about if I took J to school on the days G is here with you?

So I didnt even need to ask!

I will have to dash about Monday and Friday unless I can arrange to meet G Dad at the school before I drop Lewis at his school.

Will be doing the dummy run tomorrow with the double buggy so will see how that goes.

booboo
18-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Good luck, it's really stressfull when your rushing about, im sure you'll be fine, just keep thinking about the extra money :thumbsup:

Amanda x

yummymummy
18-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Isn't it funny that when you get yourself in a childminding pickle 9 times out of 10 it sorts itself out!
Great, glad it seems to have worked itself out for you! :clapping:

angeldelight
19-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Is this parent coming to see you Debbie ?

I used to do 2 school runs and used to panic if the one school went in late it would make me late for the other school

I went in and had a chat with the head about it and they were fine and most of the time we made it on time anyway

Hope it works out good luck

Angel xx

berkschick
19-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Angel,

Yes, Mum came round at 8.30am and we did both school runs together.

Typically Lewis was late going in but I left him with another minder in the playground while we went off to J school.

He arrived 5 mins late but the teacher was expecting him late so it wasnt a problem.

So G Dad will take him Tues, Weds and Thurs when he drops G off as J is in G brother class and the families are friends.

It will just be Mon and Fri that J will be a bit late but lots of people have offered to see Lewis into school for me so I can get J to school.

I had to work at the creche this morning so Mum is coming back to sign contracts at 2pm. She is going to pay me 7.30 am- 9am even when G Dad takes him because he will be taking a before school place up so I was pleased about that.

Better get printing off all the permission forms etc.

I now have 7 mindees on my books :eek: