PDA

View Full Version : learning journals for school age children

little_gems
16-03-2010, 07:38 PM
i have 2 lo's that are both 4 but in full time school. 1 comes 3 days after school and 3 full days during holidays, the other is hit and miss some weeks it can be 1 day after school others its 4 days after school but not during school holidays!!
Both children leave really early one sometimes before tea!!
By the time we get in from school theres not much time before we start having tea 45 min at the most!

I'm just wondering if im meant to be doing learning journals for them both???

sarah707
16-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes you are! But they can only contain so much since you hardly see the children.

I would start a scrap book and put the children in charge!

Let them add photos from home, do collages of their favourite toys, put in notes and pictures they draw etc.

Add a few brief notes linking it all to the Eyfs and showing how you follow their interests.

Hth :D

little_gems
16-03-2010, 08:54 PM
i have started doing something like that. do they need observations in them??
should i try and back date them???

ss1983
16-03-2010, 09:50 PM
hi i mind a 5 year old 2 times a week oe day we get back after school and she goes ballet 415 till 515 then she has tea and goes home then the other day i have her 3 till 6 i dont have herin school holidays,
would ofsted be happy with a scrap book rather thatn the age grids

amirose
17-03-2010, 07:26 AM
I mind a 4 year old and share care with his nursery. I have him 10-12.40pm (which includes feeding him lunch) the drop him at nursery his mum then picks him up from there at 3.15pm.

I have an EYFS contact diary which is very much like my daily diaries but doesn't include meals meds etc just strictly what we have been doing.
I include photos and write down any achievements.
I also have a folder with all his planning which I obtain from the nursery. They simply photocopy it for me. I use that to think about what toys I will get out that day and if we go on an outing where that would be (this is my planning).
It lives in his book bag so I can write in it, nursery can read/write in it and mum can/read write in it at home.
Just recently had my ofsted inspection and she thought it was great :) I explained I feel children who attend other settings should only have one learning journal and that nursery is his main EYFS provider so I simply give them all the information to put into his main learning journal. She was completely happy with this :clapping: