PDA

View Full Version : Time Keeping Question

helenlc
16-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I pick a LO up on my school run in the car. I text mum when we are down stairs so she can bring LO (aged nearly 2) down.

Anyway, recently she has been taking longer and longer to bring LO down. This then makes us run a little out of time to get to school - we do get there but only with a few minutes to spare after I have got 2 LOs out the car and in the pushchair and into the playground.

I haev been timing it on purpose now from when I send the text - yesterday was 10 minutes!!! Today 8!!!

Now if Mum is taking that long to get out the door, thats not my problem. All she has to do for me is get LO down to me from her flat. She can then go back up and do whatever it is she needs to do. I arrive at the same time every morning (give or take a couple of minutes) so its not like she isnt expecting me.

I just dont feel its fair on me waiting around, my DD having to rush around not my other mindee who is also in the car for 2 of the mornings I pick this LO up. I am really stressed by time I get to school and am sometimes narky with my DD as I try to get the pushchair out and LOs in it.:(

Do you think its fair of me to say to her that I will wait 5 minutes from sending the text and then after that, she will have to catch up with me at the school (about a 10 min walk from her flat)?

Thanks

jelly15
16-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I think that is more than fair, she knows what time you come ecah morning so she sould be ready and waiting for your text.

Jelly Baby
16-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree she should be pretty much ready surely?
I had this with my school run kids..nip it in the bud or it will drive you mad!
Good luck x

miffy
16-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Is there any reason why you can't pick up the lo on the way back from school?

That might be easier.

I think you're very good collecting (I wouldn't) and now it's become a pain, I'd just say mum will have to meet you at school but you'll probably finish up hanging round there then :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

The Juggler
16-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Do you think its fair of me to say to her that I will wait 5 minutes from sending the text and then after that, she will have to catch up with me at the school (about a 10 min walk from her flat)?

Thanks

I don't think I would wait more than a minute or two, to be honest! what about texting when you leave home if she insists she needs so long, that way you can tell her you will be there in 10 minutes. I would definately say if you can't bring them down straight away she will have to find you. Tell her this has been making you late for school, and you are not prepared to make other children late for school.

helenlc
16-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Is there any reason why you can't pick up the lo on the way back from school?

That might be easier.

I think you're very good collecting (I wouldn't) and now it's become a pain, I'd just say mum will have to meet you at school but you'll probably finish up hanging round there then :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Mum has to be on her way before I would get back after the school run.

I did meet mum at the school for a while but she was late there too.:angry: I would be waiting by the gate for her at 8.30 and she would come along later and later, so although we were at school, we were still rushing into the play ground.

manjay
16-03-2010, 08:48 PM
If it were me I would try texting when I left home and would expect them to be outside waiting when I got there (unless maybe in extreme weather). If they weren't there it would be up to Mum to find me and I would be exactly where I needed to be to get my own children to school on time.

It's not fair on you or the other children to be kept waiting or to be causing you stress:D

helenlc
16-03-2010, 08:52 PM
If it were me I would try texting when I left home and would expect them to be outside waiting when I got there (unless maybe in extreme weather). If they weren't there it would be up to Mum to find me and I would be exactly where I needed to be to get my own children to school on time.

It's not fair on you or the other children to be kept waiting or to be causing you stress:D

Trouble is, I leave home then take my son to school then on to her. If I can text, I do to say we will be down stairs in a couple of minutes. But even then sometimes she is another few minutes coming down.

Think I will do a polite letter saying I will text when I arrive downstairs and will wait 5 minutes only. After that, she will have to meet me at the school or catch me where ever I am.

Thanks for your answers - I just wanted to be sure I wasnt being unreasonable!!!!

Probey9
16-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I would approach her and say that it is not working and the children are getting to school late, would she like to rethink a better way round this. Tell her the children have been told off and it's not fare, it may be the kick up the bum she needs. It seems which ever route she picks she is late but rather her than the children.

funemnx
17-03-2010, 08:39 PM
You could try putting the ball in her court and asking her what would be the best way of you picking up her child AND getting the other children to school on time? She might realise your dilema (but don't count on it! ) :)

charliegee
17-03-2010, 11:16 PM
You could try putting the ball in her court and asking her what would be the best way of you picking up her child AND getting the other children to school on time? She might realise your dilema (but don't count on it! ) :)

I agree on this! I think you def need to chat with mum. It's not fair you feeling rushed when you have planned and made sure you are on time.

Perhaps really stress to her you need to have left her house with her little one by x (rather than texting - have a set time IYSWIM) and if she is not downstairs - to give you a call and she can meet you at the school? - if she knows she has to be away before school time may mean she can arrange to be on time?

ah feel for you as it must stress you out! x

sunflower
18-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Just what i was going to say,

Then she might realise what its like to be late for work :rolleyes:

instead of you getting stressed and being late :D

helenlc
18-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Yesterday I managed to text when we were on the way and she was down there waiting, but like I say its not always safe for me to text when we are a few minutes away.

I will see what time she comes down today and maybe mention something at the end of today to start next week.