PDA

View Full Version : NOt sure when to say something.....

MissTinkerbell
16-03-2010, 02:59 PM
...and what exactly to say.

Help!!

Hubby came home from work today and said that he'd been promoted which is excellent news as its only 4 years since his last which is a huge achievement (he's in the RAF).

Whilst I'm really pleased for him it now causes problems for me in that I'm not sure when I should say something to my parents and what exactly I should say.

Firstly its not official and we may not know for the next 2-3 months as to whether it is - also it may not happen at all depending upon how many they promote in his rank and trade - he's 49th on the list and the predicted number is to promote 85 - so its a possible.

Secondly we also don't know if he is promoted whether or not we will be posted elsewhere - we will know this another 2-3 months after finding out if he's been officially promoted - its all very complicated.

Now my problem is what to tell my parents - it only affects 1 set of parents and a prospective set of parents. I'm not really concerned about my existing parents because I won't say anything to them until its definite and then only to warn them that we might be posted and that I will keep them informed.

Its the prospective set that I don't know what to do. They are previous parents and their 2 little ones are returning to me in September. Now this is where the problem arises - I don't want to drop the bombshell on them at the last minute and leave them searching for childcare (had they not been old parents I wouldn't have been quite so concerned IYSWIM) nor do I want to say something and they decide to look for someone else and then I find that

a) hubby doesn't get promoted, or
b) hubby gets promoted and with luck we stop where we are

and I could have gone ahead with signing contract anyway.

Really not sure how to play this one.

Advice from all you military based CMs is much needed as this is the first time I've faced this situation.

Thanks in advance

jelly15
16-03-2010, 03:09 PM
It is nice you are thinking of the parents but you are running a business and I would carry on with contract until things are 100% definite.

Alibali
16-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd wait and see:thumbsup:

Twinkles
16-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I would keep quiet. It could be another 6 months before you know if you are moving somewhere else.

Congrats to him :thumbsup:

doodles
16-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Big Congrats to Mr Tinkerbell :thumbsup:
I would wait and see what happens and tell them when things are confirmed.

little_gems
16-03-2010, 06:52 PM
i'd just wait and see what happen's first u'd only need to give the notice period in ur contract.

Carpet Monkeys
16-03-2010, 06:59 PM
First time round minding Aug 2004-2005, I started minding in the Sept and then found out end of Oct we were being posted to Singapore (Royal Navy), however, I kept quiet as things could've changed.

Once we were 100% definate we were going which was March/April time I told them and finished my contracts at the end of June (as all my stuff was getting shipped early July) and moved to Singapore Aug 05.

Didn't have any problems finding them another minder, heard about someone locally who had just started up and past all my mindees over to her.

Well done on the promotion to the other half!