PDA

View Full Version : In the news today - re food offered at childcare settings...

Blaze
16-03-2010, 10:23 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8569117.stm

emma04
16-03-2010, 10:27 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8569117.stm

OOOOOOHHHHH I hate these kinds of reports, they tar us all with the same brush!!!:angry:

I only serve homemade hot meals and if we have a picnic day (rarely) it's healthy!!

RainbowMum
16-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Seems to me to be saying that as we are not regulated - We must be there for be feeding the children take aways and adult ready meals :rolleyes:

I think Ofsted do enough regulating for us - they certainly have plenty to say on healthy eating!

I guess we will all have to be under 24hr survaillance (sp??) As just because our policies say we give healthy food doesn't mean we really do - or we could have our bins checked for packaging :idea: they could make a whole new department - get people of the dole!:laughing:

Blaze
16-03-2010, 10:38 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

AliceK
16-03-2010, 10:45 AM
It makes me so mad :angry: . I am so careful with anything I buy that will be eaten by children and I have been this way since having my own children not just since I've been childminding. I am always looking at salt levels and sat fat levels and I know that all the children in my house eat a balanced diet but yes they also get treats as well (Ofsted loved this :) ) This report specifically mentions food aimed at adults but given to children but what about the "god" :laughing: of childrens healthy eating Annabel Karmels foods that were recently found to have way too much salt levels in them for children.
Reports like this make us all sound bad and ignorant of childrens dietary requirements. Yes I know of specifically 1 childminder who feeds the children a crap diet but I'm sure that the vast majority of us feed the children a well balanced diet.

xxxxxx

tashaleee
16-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe they should find a way of educating the parents instead??? :rolleyes: I have parents that see nothing wrong with permanently feeding their kids a diet of 'fast food', rarely have veg or fruit and in fact dont even know what some 'normal' fruit and veg look like in the supermarket :rolleyes:

As for us childminders - Ive always been very careful on 'healthy food', I offer a wide range of fruit and often have the kids trying new ones and I personally hate additives and E numbers for colouring so most of our food is homemade and, in some cases, home grown..... I also see nothing wrong with 'treats' and baking homemade cakes and cookies (due to the preservative issues)

Look forward to seeing how they think they will implement something when its what most of us are already doing :mad:

Alibali
16-03-2010, 11:13 AM
We have had guidance from Scottish exec for a while now, and I think it's a good thing. I for one thought I was doing really well, feeding them a nutritious, varied diet, no sweets/juice etc, But I had no idea of accurate portion sizes:blush: :blush: If truth be known I still get a bit confused. A portion of pasta for an 8 yo is a small tea plate size, my under 5s eat this amount of pasta so it was far too much for them, especially when they are having fruit and yogurt afterwards.

AliceK
16-03-2010, 11:40 AM
We have had guidance from Scottish exec for a while now, and I think it's a good thing. I for one thought I was doing really well, feeding them a nutritious, varied diet, no sweets/juice etc, But I had no idea of accurate portion sizes:blush: :blush: If truth be known I still get a bit confused. A portion of pasta for an 8 yo is a small tea plate size, my under 5s eat this amount of pasta so it was far too much for them, especially when they are having fruit and yogurt afterwards.

I saw a thing about this on TV the other week and the portions of pasta and pizza they were saying were correct for an 8yr old shocked me. If I gave my DS aged 5 that amount he would def have something to say about it :laughing: . By the way there is no way on this earth anyone would say he was anywhere near being overweight.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Pudding Girl
16-03-2010, 11:47 AM
We have had guidance from Scottish exec for a while now, and I think it's a good thing. I for one thought I was doing really well, feeding them a nutritious, varied diet, no sweets/juice etc, But I had no idea of accurate portion sizes:blush: :blush: .

Obviously I get this too, and I find it soooo useful. Even though I am a keen cook and know lots about nutrition I still learnt new things, like portion sizes as you say, also find it helpful to show parents if they have concerns about Little Johnny not eating much, to reassure them they are doing as they should be and are fine :)

Maybe NCMA should be pushing for others to have the same kind of guidance issued?

jelly15
16-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I am all for healthy eating and being given advice/guidance but the report implies that all CM and nurseries serve unhealthy meals, how presumpcious for them:angry:

Tatjana
16-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Just one of those things that takes a turn on the news every now and then.

Can't say i'm bothered by it, my parents know I offer healthy foods they've occasionally arrived to pick up whilst lo is still eating dinner and have seen what is on offer.

They can also see from my own chidren they are not overweight, we are rarely ill so haven't as yet had to close for the day.

xx

Blaze
16-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I am all for healthy eating and being given advice/guidance but the report implies that all CM and nurseries serve unhealthy meals, how presumpcious for them:angry:

That's what irritates me!

Mollymop
16-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't offer meals anymore as I am fed up with all the worry - no that I can't cook healthy meals - it's more to do with fussy eaters and moaning mums!

I must say - when I worked at a nursery (cleaning) I often saw what was in their freezer as was situated in the outhouse iwth all my cleaning materials - it consisted of chicken nuggetts, chips, frozen supermarket mashed potatoes, curly fries, - everything full of salt and added ingredients.

Nothing wrong with these types of foods now and again through the week but not everyday - which it seemed like .. they lived on processed food!

babydayz
16-03-2010, 12:58 PM
This makes me really mad, i give lots of healthy snacks and 95% of the food i give them is balanced and nutritious, i do give the occasional treat this is usually when we make cookies or cakes, but that is more than balanced out with the fact that everything else is nutritious.
Then the parents come and pick the kids up and say we are having a mcdonalds tonight, i know 2 out of 3 nights they are eating takeaways.
If they want to blame someone it's the parents not the childminders!, but i am in no way saying that all parents are like this, you do get some very good parents.

Its just too easy to blame the childminder or nursery

Tired
16-03-2010, 01:02 PM
This makes me so mad.

I try to serve healthy food, but occasionally I give treats, birthday cake, crisps etc. If we have to meet the same nutritional standards as schools, I will give up child minding.

This is a list from my council of the things that schools can not give their children

If you think I'm checking every bit of food I buy for all these things, they have another think coming! Schools and some nurseries have caterers to do this. They certainly don't expect the teachers to plan meals and cook the food!
So now we need to be teachers to deliver the EYFS and cooks to deliver healthy eating.

E102 Tartrazine

E221 Sodium sulphite

E104 Quinoline Yellow

E222 Sodium hydrogen sulphite

E107 Yellow

E223 Sodium metabisulphite

E110 Sunset Yellow FCF

E224 Potassium metasulphite

E122 Carmoisine or Azorubine

E226 Calcium sulphite

E123 Amaranth

E227 Calcium bisulphite

E124 Ponceau 4R or Cochineal

E228 Potassium hydrogen sulphite

E127 Erythrosine B5

E128 Red 2G

Other additives which can be a problem for asthematics or asprin sensitive people (possibly those sensitive to 'salicylates')
E129 Allura Red AC

E212 Potassium Benzoate

E131 Patient Blue V

E213 Calcium Benzoate

E132 Indigo Carmine or Indigotine

E214 Ethyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E133 Brilliant Blue FCF

E215 Ethyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E142 Green S (Acid Brilliant Green)

E216 Propyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E150 Caramel (b) (c) (d)

E217 Propyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E151 Black PN (Brilliant Black BN)

E218 Methyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E153 Carbon Black (Vegetable carbon)

E219 Methyl 4 hydroxybenzoate

E154 Brown FK (Kipper Brown)

E230 Diphenyl

E155 Brown HT

E231 Ortho phenylphenol

E161 (g) Canthanxanthin

E232 Sodium orthophylphenate

E173 Aluminium

E233 Thiabendazode

E180 Pigment Rubine (Linthol Rubine BK)

E234 Nisin

E235 Natamycin

Flavourings
All flavourings unless clearly stated 'Natural' must be avoided. Flavourings do not have 'E' numbers.

Other additives not allowed for infants and young children
Anti-Oxidants
Flavour Enhancers
E310 Propyl gallate

E621 Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

E311 Oxtyl gallate

E622 Monopotassium glutamate (MPG)

E312 Dodecyl gallate

Anti-Oxidants
Sweeteners
E320 Butylated Hydroxy Anisole (BHA)

E950 Acesulfame

E321 Butylated Hydroxy Toluene (BHT)

E951 Aspartame

E953 Isomalt

Preservatives
E954 Saccharin

E210 Benzoic Acid

E965 (i) (ii) Malitol

E211 Sodium-Benzoate

E966 Lactitol

E220 Sulphur Dioxide

Sucralose

E249 Potassium Nitrite

E120 Cochineal/carminic acid is a natural colouring but some parents have reported reactions, so be careful.

E250 Sodium Nitrite

E150(a) Is a natural product but may cause some problems

E251 Sodium Nitrate

E160(b) Anatto is a natural colouring that may cause problems.

E252 Potassium Nitrate

E282 Calcium Proprionate (bread preservative)

Pudding Girl
16-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Then the parents come and pick the kids up and say we are having a mcdonalds tonight, i know 2 out of 3 nights they are eating takeaways.

I know one of my mindees only eats out of cans or from the chippy at home :(

TheBTeam
16-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I live in England, but our childminding group some years ago heard about the nutritional guidance issued in scotland and got a copy for each of us, i read it cover to cover and it confirmed that i do know a balanced diet!

I very rarely use processed food for any of the children, as it is cheaper to buy proper food, i will use frozen veg, but like today we used jacket potatoes that we had as a family for tea last night and cooked extra, we scooped out the potato, mashed in some butter and baked with cheese and ham, then they had apple and bananas after.

Occasionally we will give them a ready made pizza bought with just cheese and tomato and we add our own veg and bits on it for lunch time, but we often give fresh fish as it microwaves so quickly.

I know that a good few of my parents only feed it if it comes in a tin in orange sauce! I think it goes back to the same old story, they blame us without knowing the full facts and the vast majority of childminders I suspect give the children the only healthy food they see! It is the parents in most cases that need educating, and again we are being blamed, how many of us have been canvassed about what we actually feed the children?

mama2three
16-03-2010, 01:46 PM
The fact remains that a much too high proprtion of our youngsters start school already struggling with their weight. the government have to look at ways of stopping this - from parent ' education' - they have introduced the change 4 life programme and surestart centres often have nutrition groups / info such as babycafe etc. Next they need to look at other settings as so many parents today work. I have no problem with Government issued guidelines that we should work to. I'll bet in the majority of cases childminders will have no changes to make !.
I think the problem with sensationalist reporting of this nature is the focus on 'blame' rather than heralding the preschool childcare sector in being instrumental in helping address the childhood obesity issues.

and step down from soapbox and breathe!

sillysausage
16-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Whilst I would be interested in what the powers that be consider to be appropriate portion sizes for different aged children, I do know that my children (nearly grown up) and my mindees all get given a healthy balanced diet by me.

Yesterday we had homemade vegetable soup (low salt) with homemade bread (no additives to prolong it's shelf life and definitely less salt than commercial bread) and butter (far more natural than margarine/spreads).
Today we've had sausages (award winning from a local butcher, so proper meat not the cruddy bits found in cheap sausages), boiled spuds, steamed broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn.
Both days the children have also had a small yoghurt and a homemade bun (again no additives)

As theBteam says I suspect that most childminders are feeding their mindees nutritious and healthy meals.
I do however think it is easier for the press and other agencies to throw the blame for children eating a poor diet onto childcare institutions rather than onto parents. Lets face it, if those in childcare are told they are doing something wrong they are likely to change, whereas parents will still take the easy way out, allowing their little ones to run rings around them with their demands/refusals/tantrums etc.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I have emailed the Food Trust and asked for details on how the report was compiled and if I could have a copy.

Watch this space!

jelly15
16-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I have emailed the Food Trust and asked for details on how the report was compiled and if I could have a copy.

Watch this space!

Go Debbie :thumbsup: