PDA

View Full Version : Hitting me

Adiamond
15-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Well as the title says.... I have a mindee who has just turned 2, she smacks alot to say the least :eek: I have seen her smack her mum, pull her mums hair, grab mums mouth and just generally not very kind to her mum :( . She has smacked me before but I quickly put a stop to it just by explaining that it isn't nice to smack/hurt anyone. I think mum lets her get away with it!!! but this morning was unbelievable. She knocked on the door and as soon as I saw her I could tell she wasn't happy (usual Monday lol) mum passed mindee to me and she slapped me straight across the face TWICE :eek: :eek: :eek:
Well what to do????? I put her on the floor and said "what do we say about smacking?" I felt sooooo embarrassed, mum was just stood there!!! My children have NEVER smacked me and I don't know what to do about this behaviour.
Can anyone please let me have some handy hints on this one please? x x x

kindredspirits
15-03-2010, 09:36 PM
a very firm NO - try not to allow her to get to the point where she makes contact - even if that means grabbing her arm as its in swing (i don't mean hard but just so she can't hit you) and again NO right down at her level in as low a voice as you can manage.
then turn around and walk away so she doesn't get any attention from it.
don't feel embarrassed about this morning - sounds like mum is the one who ought to be embarrassed - she should have said something herself.
good luck!

Pipsqueak
15-03-2010, 09:37 PM
you and mum (parents) MUST be singing from the same hymn sheet here - as a matter of urgency i would say you both (all) need to sit down together and draw up an action plan to control and eliminate this behaviour. if you don't its only going to get worse.
2yr old or not - she should not be smacking or slapping you or her parent(s).

sarah707
15-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I plonk them straight down and make it clear I am not impressed... which is what it sounds like you did!

I would call mum in for an urgent meeting to discuss working together strategies.

this is not something I would put up with more than once and mum needs to stop it at home too.

Hth :D

francinejayne
15-03-2010, 09:38 PM
My Ds is 22 months now, when he was about 18 months he discovered smacking. I just kept saying 'no, it's not nice, it hurts (even though it doesn't) and it makes me sad'. I admit I have raised my voice a little to emphasize the 'no!' I have also taught him to say 'sorry' which he does ever so nicely!
I think if you are consistent they soon get the message. Perhaps mum needs to support you more, maybe she doesn't know how to deal with it so she doesn't do anything?
They normally grow out of it.
I woul expect an apology though, at that age they are old enough!

Adiamond
15-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going to call a meeting with mum, as I am know she gets away with it at home but I will not put up with it when she is here.
I think in fact mum and dad thinks it's funny when she does it :eek:

Pipsqueak
15-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going to call a meeting with mum, as I am know she gets away with it at home but I will not put up with it when she is here.
I think in fact mum and dad thinks it's funny when she does it :eek:

sadly when our LO's do something that we find cute initially can soon turn into a horrendous problem.
the problem is a fairly harmless 2yr old turns into a stronger 3yr old going into busier environments (ie nursery) where there are lots of other kids, then they turn into even stronger 4/5/6 year olds and the soon start being able to pack a wallop into what was originaly thought funny:(
Saying that 2yrolds can hurt - especially other children.

tell parents that all this is going to be logged as an incident ( you do not deserve to be hit). if they don't want to or can't see why you are taking it seriously then tell them you will have to consider the future of the contract.