thanks luv sue xxx

mama2three
15-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Irish stew?
bacon and cabbage?
colcannon?
soda bread?
pretty much anything potato based.
dublin coddle ( layered sausage , bacon, onion and potato)

mama2three
15-03-2010, 03:44 PM
oh forgot - we're having golden leprechaun coins ( fish cakes!!)

mushpea
15-03-2010, 05:58 PM
we are making soda bread on thursday as for meals its so mad on a wednesday that i just havent bothered trying to do an irish meal, 2 mindees fed at 4.45pm , my 2 fed at 5.30pm then me and OH whenever all due to clubs etc that day!

TheBTeam
15-03-2010, 10:11 PM
We will have colcannon, simply because i fancied it when i was looking for stuff that needed no prep!

Heaven Scent
15-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Irish stew?
bacon and cabbage?
colcannon?
soda bread?
pretty much anything potato based.
dublin coddle ( layered sausage , bacon, onion and potato)

I've never eaten coddle - despite being born and bred in Dublin :blush: :blush: - my mother was a food snob :panic: :panic: Everyone I know who ate it said it was really tasty do you have a recipe for it.

Oh I must buy some potato cakes for snack!!!

Bacon & cabbage is not rashers of bacon but a is a boiled bacon joint like a ham/gammon joint - traditionally the cabbage is boiled in the bacon water - very tasty but probably not very good for you as the water will contain lots of salt and fat from the bacon. It would also be served with - wait for it - yes potoatos.

If you want to be posh you can serve smoked salmon and brown (soda) bread - we have 3 types of soda bread - white (soda farls in Northern Irealand) - brown (wheaten in northern Ireland) & Fruit (white soda with dried fruit such as raisins, currents & sultanas - somethimes with added candied peel).

Dublin Bay Prawns
Cockles and Mussels
Queenies (scallops)

What about Irish (lamb or mutton) stewe.

Oh there is loads of stuff but most would be served with potatos and starters would often be served with a cream sauce!!!

Then deserts will be served with fresh cream - all in all its a case of death by animal fats.:laughing: :laughing:

Blackhorse
16-03-2010, 07:38 AM
we will be having irish strew of some kind from the slow cooker with potatoes

mindees will help me make a soda bread too (wholemeal)

mama2three
16-03-2010, 08:35 AM
I've never eaten coddle - despite being born and bred in Dublin :blush: :blush: - my mother was a food snob :panic: :panic: Everyone I know who ate it said it was really tasty do you have a recipe for it.

Oh I must buy some potato cakes for snack!!!

Bacon & cabbage is not rashers of bacon but a is a boiled bacon joint like a ham/gammon joint - traditionally the cabbage is boiled in the bacon water - very tasty but probably not very good for you as the water will contain lots of salt and fat from the bacon. It would also be served with - wait for it - yes potoatos.

If you want to be posh you can serve smoked salmon and brown (soda) bread - we have 3 types of soda bread - white (soda farls in Northern Irealand) - brown (wheaten in northern Ireland) & Fruit (white soda with dried fruit such as raisins, currents & sultanas - somethimes with added candied peel).

Dublin Bay Prawns
Cockles and Mussels
Queenies (scallops)

What about Irish (lamb or mutton) stewe.

Oh there is loads of stuff but most would be served with potatos and starters would often be served with a cream sauce!!!

Then deserts will be served with fresh cream - all in all its a case of death by animal fats.:laughing: :laughing:

sorry celeste , no recipe as such. my mum used to make it. just sliced browned sausage , bacon rashers , onion in alternating layers with some stock ( probably beef , cant remember) then sliced potatoes on top and into the oven for a couple of hours. Things like this i so wished id had more interest in at the time and there are so many things id like to ask mum now but shes not here! :(