PDA

View Full Version : When you get an enquiry..

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Do you work out how much money it will bring you in?

I have just worked out my new parents fees (if i take her on) and depressingly it goes like this!

I currently do school runs for 2 boys every day £87 per week. (total hrs per week= 1 hours work

New mum 3 full days meaning i would have to lose the school run boys..hrs per week= 21 her bill would be £90..

The boys are a 20 min job each day..no paperwork and although a bit stressful at times i'm guessing easier than a baby!

Always work out the money before hand but didnt with this one..grr! I worked out the twins i have coming to see me and they are around the £400 a week mark so worth losing the school runs. (the mums know this is the pipeline btw not just dropping ppl!)

So what would you do?!

Cammie Doodle
15-03-2010, 11:05 AM
If Im being truthful in my early days as a Minder I just took it all, but now I'm much more selective :blush: Im in the process of cutting down my working week so will only take on Mindees that fit in with my days/ hours.I just don't see the point working 5 days when I can earn the same for 3 (well I can at the moment, I may need to change at some point, but for now its working out that way )

Ripeberry
15-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Why do you have to drop the boys? Are they leaving anyway? Could you not ask for a variation?
But it depens on you, full days with a little one or running around for 1 hour a day :cool:
Do you do EYFS for the boys?

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Why do you have to drop the boys? Are they leaving anyway? Could you not ask for a variation?
But it depens on you, full days with a little one or running around for 1 hour a day :cool:
Do you do EYFS for the boys?

I wouldn't have room in my car for them all that's why the boys are the first in the pipeline to go if full time children come along. They are not in my numbers as such as over that age so no variation needed.
Hmm working all day or just doing a 10 min drive twice per day (which i do anyway due to my dd)..sounds silly when put like that and quite obvious!..but i do like the idea of having the baby just like June said why work for the same pay but more work..
No i dont do EYFS for the boys as 6 & 8.

LisaMcNally09
15-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Is the school within walking distance?? That could be an option.

Are the boys paying a retainer for the holidays?? Im not being nosy (well i am:blush: ) Just wondered why there fee is that much?? I just thought people didnt charge retainers when they werent counted in your numbers. Well the 6 year old is but not the 8 yo??? Sorry if ive got it completely wrong....my mind isnt working right today!!!

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Is the school within walking distance?? That could be an option.

Are the boys paying a retainer for the holidays?? Im not being nosy (well i am:blush: ) Just wondered why there fee is that much?? I just thought people didnt charge retainers when they werent counted in your numbers. Well the 6 year old is but not the 8 yo??? Sorry if ive got it completely wrong....my mind isnt working right today!!!

Hi no the school is a 10 min drive so no walking unfortunatly!

Yes they pay a retainer due to the car space being needed as could fill up with ful time ones if not..being 2 of them it soon mounts up and is every morning and afternoon! i thought it was 5 and under?

Chatterbox Childcare
15-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't swap the before schools for £3 (difference between £90 and £87) but would if a full timer came along. Would it not be worth looking at changing your car?

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't swap the before schools for £3 (difference between £90 and £87) but would if a full timer came along. Would it not be worth looking at changing your car?

I agree if it was more full time it would be fine, this parent being a teacher too means it is term time only too so literally the money is give or take a few £ the same!
Car a possibility but not sure its something i would want to do tbh..am going to look into it.
Thanks x

Chatterbox Childcare
15-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Why don't you collect the child from school, go a bit earlier and have both OR ask parental permission for the teacher to take the children and then get it approved through Ofsted.

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Why don't you collect the child from school, go a bit earlier and have both OR ask parental permission for the teacher to take the children and then get it approved through Ofsted.

Well i have 4 school runs so no room at all..losing 2 would make space for this but the 2 schools are miles apart and would never work.

Goatgirl
15-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi :),
I have 3 before and after schoolies for 4 1/2 hours a day, which is the bulk of my income, then 2 littlies on a tuesday and one on a thursday till 1. ... so I know what you mean, about the longer hours for less pay... guess it depends what you want long term and if you do want to fill up with day-timers, ... how likely is it to actually happen?!

Personally, I think I'd be hanging on to the older ones for now, at least until proper 5 days a week children come along. The car changing is a great idea if not too expensive :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy

LisaMcNally09
15-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi no the school is a 10 min drive so no walking unfortunatly!

Yes they pay a retainer due to the car space being needed as could fill up with ful time ones if not..being 2 of them it soon mounts up and is every morning and afternoon! i thought it was 5 and under?

5-8 years has a ratio too. im allowed 2 because i have my own 6 yo ds.

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I just read my certificate it says 6 children under the age of 8..3 in the early years age group only one of those under 1..so im guessing/hoping!! my 2 boys are ok?

TheBTeam
15-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Bit confused, is it a numbers problem or space in the car problem?

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 02:49 PM
It's a car space problem!! not sure how we got onto the discussion of my numbers?!!

LisaMcNally09
15-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I just read my certificate it says 6 children under the age of 8..3 in the early years age group only one of those under 1..so im guessing/hoping!! my 2 boys are ok?

The 8 year old doesnt count in your numbers at all. The six year old does so you can have 3 under 5's and then 3, 5 to 8 year olds. The six year old takes one of thos spaces up IYSWIM

Jelly Baby
15-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Yep Lisa thats fine then! thanks x

TammyN
15-03-2010, 09:06 PM
If Im being truthful in my early days as a Minder I just took it all, but now I'm much more selective :blush: Im in the process of cutting down my working week so will only take on Mindees that fit in with my days/ hours.I just don't see the point working 5 days when I can earn the same for 3 (well I can at the moment, I may need to change at some point, but for now its working out that way )

GO FOR A BIGGER CAR :) i did and i love it!
June im also looking at dropping a day as i only have 1 lo on Friday's and really not worth the fee so im going to use the day for study and to spend an extra day in the hols with my own 2, i can't wait but am aprehensive about telling the parent:rolleyes:
Tammy

Jelly Baby
16-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Iv'e decided against the car option! I have the twins family coming round now on thursday so really really hoping they say yes! If i dont get it im holding out for a more suitable job!
Thanks x

funemnx
17-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I ended up getting a 10 year old nissan serena which seats 8 and haven't looked back! Although I live in a village, it has 2 schools and 3 days a week I have to go to both so a car essential. The car cost about £3,000 which soon paid for itself in the extra children I could take on :)