PDA

View Full Version : Will they still inspect on BTTM after Sept

2kidsunder5
17-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I was wondering if OFSTED will still ask to see any BTTM observations if they come after September when the EYFS comes in?

The reason I am asking is because there is a child minder in my area who I know has done nothing at all for BTTM. She currently looks after 4 under 3's on a part time basis - one of which is her grand-daughter. She spends most of her time pushing a double pram with a toddler on reigns around the shops in town!!!! I know for a fact she has done no observations, she doesn't even take photos of the kids, let alone write anything about them. I also know that she does not keep an attendance record.

She is due her inspection in October and I just know it is really going to p*** me off if she gets away with it!!!! :angry:

Sorry for the rant

Diane x

Rubybubbles
17-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Nope it will be the EYFS

I am due my inspection Dec and have kept all my stuff since my last inspection as evidence towards everything, I can see completely what you are saying but BTTM does not have to be followed, you have to show knowledge of it:(

This is why EYFS is good, it will make these childminder buck up there ideas or leave, leaving only us who enjoy are job and follow the childs interest left:clapping:

barbarella68
17-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi,
I don't want to play devils advocate but how do you know for sure,just because she pushes a pram round doesn't mean the children do not learn things.I too work really hard at childminding (paperwork and the training)but I do not do observations as I find my parents are not interested in this,but that does not make me a bad childminder.
Alyson:)

2kidsunder5
17-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Alyson

I know because she is part of our group. There are a lot of other things that I could say but then I could go on forever - a few being she never does any activities with the kids, very rarely takes them anywhere (APART FROM THE SHOPS), when she does her own daughter is treated like a princess and bought ice creams and sweets whilst the minded kids stand by and watch.

She is one of these who will brag about the fact she pushed the kids round town for 2 hours to keep them quiet and at least that way they aren't wrecking her house and her daughters toys!!!

I know most of us work hard and we all do things differently, but she just winds me up cause she does nothing!!!

Didn't mean to upset of offend anyone, sorry.

Diane x

sarah707
17-03-2008, 06:39 PM
If you have any birth to 3 papers, they will still be very relevant to the inspectors, as they show how well you have taken on the new stuff and how well you were working up until September.

EYFS is a legal framework though, so she will have to either buck her ideas up or she will get caught out! :D

2kidsunder5
17-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I thought that BTTM was also a legal framework and all childminders had to show that they were following and understanding it?

I just know she is going to get away with it. Sorry it just makes me sooooo mad!!!! :angry:

My little girl went to a childminder very similar to her from being 1 year old to being 2 1/5. She did nothing and went nowhere; she didn't even make a mothers day card or fathers day card. When she left I though her childminder would pass lots of stuff onto me like paintings, photographs and pictures that she had drawn - I got nothing and was very upset that my daughter had been cared for by this person and had nothing to show for the time she spent there.

Love Diane x

sarah707
18-03-2008, 07:55 AM
That must have been very upsetting Di. I know how I would feel...

I find it's upsetting the other way round as well though... I sent a 2 year old off with a book full of observations, photos, cards, paintings etc etc and got nothing back - not a word of 'that's nice' or thanks...

Wish you'd been the parent :D

deeb66
18-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I thought that BTTM was also a legal framework and all childminders had to show that they were following and understanding it?

I just know she is going to get away with it. Sorry it just makes me sooooo mad!!!! :angry:

Love Diane x

BTTM was brought out as a guidence....it wasn't compulsory for us to implement it just have a basic knowledge of it.

Obviously some minders took it on board and used it how it should have been used and these minders will find it much easier to implement EYFS because they have already been doing observations, recording and planning.

Tatia
18-03-2008, 08:55 AM
That's what I was going to say, that written obs under BTTM were not compulsory.

bubbly
18-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I did my B23 training last Friday and was surprised to learn it wasn't statutory. Up until then I thought it was a legal requirement in much the same way as EYFS will be.

I've been trying to implement B23 since beginning minding in Dec '07 and am pleased I did because it'll stand me in good stead for EYFS in Sept. Sounds like this other childminder will run into big problems if she has no previous B23 knowledge.

My B23 course touched on EYFS and we talked about implementing the obs. we'll have to do from Sept. Anyone used to B23 i.e. planning, observing, recording etc will have a head-start come Sept.

Just my opinion but that's how I see it. All the hard work done for B23 won't be in vain :)

2kidsunder5
18-03-2008, 11:06 AM
That must have been very upsetting Di. I know how I would feel...

I find it's upsetting the other way round as well though... I sent a 2 year old off with a book full of observations, photos, cards, paintings etc etc and got nothing back - not a word of 'that's nice' or thanks...

Wish you'd been the parent :D

I even bought her childminder a nice pressie and a thank you card from me and my family :(

Shame it wasn't you Sara :)

I have 2 brothers leaving me in a couple of weeks and have photo albums, scrap books and BTTM files to give to their parents. I know the family well and know that I will get a thank you :)

Diane x

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:49 AM
If minders are due to be inspected after sept then they will have to show they are following the EYFS. Any one who has done no paperwork at all will find it very hard going to implement the EYFS. Twinkles and i know minders like this as well.:panic:

Pauline
26-03-2008, 11:56 AM
You won't be inspected under the BTTM framework as such, like others have said it will be under EYFS, but it's all evidence at the end of the day, whether done under B23 or EYFS, I wouldn't throw anything away as all these things can be used as evidence for EYFS too.:)