PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been a nanny?

chewy sweets
14-03-2010, 07:33 PM
May have someone wanting me to be a nanny for them and their 4 kids. This will be almost live in with evening, nights and weekend work. Can i do this or would i have to do another kind or registration or get other qualifications to become a nanny???

singlewiththree
14-03-2010, 07:53 PM
You don't need qualifications to be a nanny and you don't have to register with ofsted unless the family want to claim tax credits. They will be your boss rather than you be self employed.

chewy sweets
14-03-2010, 07:54 PM
If they need to claim tax credits can't they use my childminding registration number???

Minstrel
14-03-2010, 08:07 PM
If they need to claim tax credits can't they use my childminding registration number???

no because you won't be working in a childminder capacity. You'll be their employee as above.

chewy sweets
14-03-2010, 08:15 PM
How would i register as a nanny then i live in wales so i'm registered now with the CSSIW.

Minstrel
14-03-2010, 08:17 PM
How would i register as a nanny then i live in wales so i'm registered now with the CSSIW.

I'm not sure, maybe give them a call in the morning?

chewy sweets
14-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure, maybe give them a call in the morning?

will do thanks!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Juggler
15-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Wow! that's long hours though - sure you'd want to do that?

youarewhatyoueat
15-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure if its different in wales, but in england you may already be on the voluntary register and all you need to do is inform ofsted you are doing more nannying than childminding and they will update their records.
You can keep childminding as well. You will need nanny insurance. If you plan to only work for this family then you may find you have to be employed by them, if you wish to stay self employed and carry on childminding as well you can also do this but you need to speak with hmrc to see what the implications are, as if you are self employed you are not entitled to holidays, redundancy etc and you may not want to do that.

jo f
15-03-2010, 09:33 AM
I was a nanny when I first qualified as a nursery nurse. I did it for two families. The first job I was very young and naeve. I loved the family, fairly young parents with twin toddlers and older sister age 11. I would bend over backwards for them and loved being round there even on my days off.
To cut a long story short they did a moonlight flit, gullable me helped them move!!!! My last pay cheque- for a month bounced, they'd shut the account. GUTTED!

My second family was very different, it was just work. They were a lovely family but older and not on my level. They treted me very well and respected me and was very greatful for the work I did. Maybe I distanced myself on purpose I don't know.

I did enjoy the work but unlike minding where you set the conditions the parents do- frustrating at times. I did a lot of cleaning, pegging washing out etc- like a housekeeper as well as child carer.

I did it at a time when I had no ties, it suited me
Hope u get on ok, just try and not be trampled on! :thumbsup: