PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor conference - feedback

FussyElmo
14-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Yesterday we went to the outdoor conference held for us and for the most part it was brillant.

Out first speaker was Helen Bilton and if you get a chance to see her she was fabulous really inspirational and passionate about the outdoors. She said that outdoor play is NOT a 20 minute beak consisting of 15 bikes, a climbing frame and 3 fed up adults. Ok alot of it was aimed at nurserys pre schools and school.

She also said that you cannot catch a cold by being outside only if you get chilled so wrap up. She also went on to say if she deems it cold enough then you will wear a coat.

She was funny down to earth and I quite like people who say flipping heck when giving a speech. She also showed lots of photos of children climbing and kept pointing out that no one died - shock horror :eek: and if they did fall pick them up and put a plaster on if needed.

She also asked about what was so wrong with wood why did it have painted in bright colours and that children weren't cretins :)

We then did workshops. Me and Nell did den building (she has photos :rolleyes: ) which was really good fun. We got spilt into group and given a bag of materials and was told to build a den.

Then dinner (we were spoilt at the hotel restaraunt).

Another speaker Paddy Beals who again was passionate about the outdoors and the fun and learning that could go on outside which couldnt happen inside.

Another workshop on low cost activites for the outside. This I found disappointing. Considering half the room were childminders the trainer didnt grasp the fact.

Then we had another speaker a storyteller Katrice Horsley who again if you get chance go and see her. Her description of herself was Mary Poppins on acid. She was funny amazing and mind blowing and hopefully I will be taking some of her ideas on board.

Got to say our Early Years team did a great job of organising the day and hopefully we will get more.

We even got a free book Playing Outside by Helen Bilton.

jumpinjen
14-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Sounds wonderful.... please share more of the wonderful ideas you are going to try!! I'm re-planning my approach to outside at the mo so i'd be interested, and also what you think of the book too!

Jenni:D

Monkey1
14-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing, i'm doing a course called 'lets play outside' at the moment

Pipsqueak
14-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Sounds brilliant - will look out for the book and the speaker.
Thank you for the feedback

have you got any good links?

The conference I was at the other day - we talked about being outside too - and that was the message coming across loud and clear - managed risk, let kids play and figure it all out, no such thing as inclement weather - just inappropriate clothing (in Sweden they consider it too cold when it hits -15 lol).

nell57
14-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow Fussy couldn't of put it any better:clapping: (really I couldn't:blush: )

I too found the Den Making workshop my favourite, it was an hands on activity and great fun. The second workshop, Outside on a Budget I found not too bad, although it was just looking at pictures of items and told to come up with ideas on what to do with them:rolleyes:

I did find it annoying that it was aimed at big settings, with no reference to childminding at all:(

Then the guest speakers, were truly inspirational, I could have listened to them a lot longer than the time given.

It was a lovely to catch up with fussy too:thumbsup: And yes photos to follow;)

Polly2
14-03-2010, 08:35 PM
This sounds great :clapping:

Can I ask what do you all do with babies outside? littlies are quite happy to sit in pushchairs or on grass but what about crawlers. You know if its wet and muddy do you still take them outside.

And then if you don't, the bigger kids have to stay in too - this is my dilemma at the mo. Could do with some decking or something.

Was there any ideas on this at the course?

The Juggler
14-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I am really jealous. love the outdoor play stuff!

nell57
14-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Can I ask what do you all do with babies outside? littlies are quite happy to sit in pushchairs or on grass but what about crawlers. You know if its wet and muddy do you still take them outside.

And then if you don't, the bigger kids have to stay in too - this is my dilemma at the mo. Could do with some decking or something.

Polly2 there was a workshop at the conference on babies and the outdoors, but unfortunately neither Fussy or I went to. There were 4 workshops which we could choose 2 out of the 4 to attend. I will ask around if anyone went to the baby one, to try get info, but cant promise anything:(

The Juggler
15-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Hi Polly I let mine crawl around in it. I bought some all in one suits with over bottees you strap on to keep their shoes clean) and they are totally waterproof and wipeable. they are regatta ones available on waterproofworld.co.uk. £15 and £7 for the boots (free delivery). They get cold quickly in this weather so probably won't want to stay out as long as the toddlers.

Polly2
15-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Polly2 there was a workshop at the conference on babies and the outdoors, but unfortunately neither Fussy or I went to. There were 4 workshops which we could choose 2 out of the 4 to attend. I will ask around if anyone went to the baby one, to try get info, but cant promise anything:(

That would be great!! its such a shame you had to choose which one to go to - sounds like you were spoilt for choice :thumbsup:

Juggler thanks for the info. I have some all in one suits for older children but did not know you could get ones with the boots too. I think its has been sooooo cold with the snow and everything that I feel we have been stuck in loads. Hopefully weather will pick up soon.

I am off to look at the boot thingys now - thanks :thumbsup: