PDA

View Full Version : PSED

Mrs M
14-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Hello,
I am more or less ok and happy with my planning and the way I do it. It seems to work for us. However, I do struggle with including PSED into our planning. For example, I do various activities which involve CD, PD and find that fairly easy. Can anyone give me some ideas please? Just seem to have a bit of a mental block where this is concerned.
Thanks very much.

Pipsqueak
14-03-2010, 09:38 AM
bet you get lots of PSED out of whatever you do

turn taking - conflict resolution
sharing
listening
being kind to each other
helping and assisting
clearing away/setting up
acheivements
persistance

brain shutting down - its Mammys day:D

sarah707
14-03-2010, 09:54 AM
PSED is the first of the 6 areas for a reason... it is probably the most important.

It underpins everything else because children need to learn the skills attached to PSED in order to become members of society.

You use PSED every time you ask children to consider each other's feelings... or in any of the examples Pip has given you.

Have a look back at some of the e-books you have from me.

You will see lots of ideas for PSED planning, especially in e-book 1 which has a range of planned festivals and all of them are set out in the 6 areas of learning and development.

There is also an overview of PSED related to the younger children in e-book 17 Play for under 3s.

You can use the ideas from any one of those and adapt them to other activities you cover.

Also find the PSED section in the Eyfs guidance and have a read through the development matters statements - they have lots of suggestions for further activities too.

Hth :D

Mrs M
14-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks very much. I understand that it involves taking turns, sharing etc but have just struggled with planning activities specifically for that area. Will take a look at the books I've bought from you Sarah, thank you.

Cammie Doodle
14-03-2010, 05:58 PM
PSED is the first of the 6 areas for a reason... it is probably the most important.

It underpins everything else because children need to learn the skills attached to PSED in order to become members of society.

You use PSED every time you ask children to consider each other's feelings... or in any of the examples Pip has given you.

Have a look back at some of the e-books you have from me.

You will see lots of ideas for PSED planning, especially in e-book 1 which has a range of planned festivals and all of them are set out in the 6 areas of learning and development.

There is also an overview of PSED related to the younger children in e-book 17 Play for under 3s.

You can use the ideas from any one of those and adapt them to other activities you cover.

Also find the PSED section in the Eyfs guidance and have a read through the development matters statements - they have lots of suggestions for further activities too.

Hth :D

Sarah I knew PSED was the 1st of the 6 areas but unsure on the other 5, how are they ordered?

hello kitty
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM
PSED
Communication, Language and Literacy
Problem Solving Reasoning and Numeracy
Knowledge and Understanding of the World
Physical Development
Creative Development

hth :D

Heaven Scent
14-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Emma, you don't need to plan specifically for PSED you just need to incorporate it in your planning, you seem to have got into a panic - don't. If you are in Ceramic Experience tomorrow I will chat to you about it - you may need to remind me about it though.

Cammie Doodle
15-03-2010, 07:19 AM
PSED
Communication, Language and Literacy
Problem Solving Reasoning and Numeracy
Knowledge and Understanding of the World
Physical Development
Creative Development

hth :D

Thank you Kitty

The Juggler
15-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks very much. I understand that it involves taking turns, sharing etc but have just struggled with planning activities specifically for that area. Will take a look at the books I've bought from you Sarah, thank you.

it will come naturally as you plan your other activities. You could do emotions/puppets/stories etc but if you set up smallworld or home corner, children will gradually start playing alongside/next to eah other and sharing hon.

Mrs M
15-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks very much for all your help.
I know that I'm covering it in every day minding - I set up activities or the children have free play and there are many observations I could make that relate back to PSED. However, when I see people's comprehensive planning and I do my monthly/weekly planning, I find it hard to find an activity to put under the PSED heading. For example, Easter. So we have card making (CD), egg hunt (PD) etc, etc. How do I incorporate PSED? I know it naturally fits in with sharing the materials to make cards, taking turns in finding eggs but is that how I should plan it or is there an activity that could go under the PSED heading? Sorry, I'm waffling but I struggle with this every month and I'm trying to find an easier way and a way that stops me stressing about it!!!

By the way Celest, I'm not at Ceramics today as we're off to buy some resources from Abakan! G came round on Thursday and gave me some great ideas. Thanks very much for the offer though x

The Juggler
15-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks very much for all your help.
I know that I'm covering it in every day minding - I set up activities or the children have free play and there are many observations I could make that relate back to PSED. However, when I see people's comprehensive planning and I do my monthly/weekly planning, I find it hard to find an activity to put under the PSED heading. For example, Easter. So we have card making (CD), egg hunt (PD) etc, etc. both of these involve sharing/turn taking of some sort? sharing the scissors, passing the glue. you could do one about eggs chicks and taking care of them (caring for others and things in the environment) How do I incorporate PSED? I know it naturally fits in with sharing the materials to make cards, taking turns in finding eggs but is that how I should plan it or is there an activity that could go under the PSED heading? My main PSED planning for older toddlers is basic turn taking games, more structured turn taking outdoor play, snap, simple board games, especially where those children find it very hard to share/wait turns, growing vegetables and watering them (caring for the environment/learning about growing own food/heathy eating, the dolls in the home corner, set up to be bathed, fed etc.Sorry, I'm waffling but I struggle with this every month and I'm trying to find an easier way and a way that stops me stressing about it!!!
the rest of mine is nearly all a by-product of other planning, but planned with PSED in mind also, if you see what I mean. Activities on road safety, personal hygiene, emotions or healthy eating are all good PSED specific activities to explore.

By the way Celest, I'm not at Ceramics today as we're off to buy some resources from Abakan! G came round on Thursday and gave me some great ideas. Thanks very much for the offer though x

Made some comments above hon.

Chell
15-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Good thread, I've just been struggling with the same thing. I've just done my first ever bit of planning and have a gap in the PSED box. :eek:

Heaven Scent
16-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Enjoy the shopping - where is Abakan???? What you buying??? Perhaps I'll see you next week!!

Mrs M
16-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Enjoy the shopping - where is Abakan???? What you buying??? Perhaps I'll see you next week!!

Didn't make it to Abakan!!!! N wanted to go to a play barn instead! I was getting some material to put in our cat litter tray for dinosaurs. G brought round some great material that looks like rocks and N loved it. There's an Abakan in Stoke so well worth a trip.
Maybe see you next week x

Heaven Scent
18-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Got another question for you - What is Abakan??? - I've done and internet search and all I found out is that it is a city in southern Russia and there are cheap flights there.

Oh I've not seen her rocky fabric - I borrowed some white wooly fabric and some blue lame (sheer shiny- I don't know how to include accents in words that need them) fabric to add to my winter display I know she got the fabric I borrowed from Early Excellence (in Huddersfield) and it was a silly price - when I looked at the stitching etc it was really shoddily finished no straight lines at all - I'm no seamstress but I could have done better for that money you'd expect perfection. I use real decorative garden stones (the ones you can buy in net bags with my dinosaurs and in displays - I just can't imagine this fabric - I also use real carpet squares that I got free from Carpet Right as grass - that grass stuff she got from Early Excellence was really nice stupidly expensive for a tiny piece and it frays and sheds - I'm sure I've seen rolls or it in JTF or Makro for use in Grocery shop displays and it was nowhere near as expensive.

miffy
18-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Got another question for you - What is Abakan??? - I've done and internet search and all I found out is that it is a city in southern Russia and there are cheap flights there.

Here's the website

http://www.abakhan.co.uk/

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
18-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Thank you for the link Miffy I've had a bit of a hunt round the site it looks worth a visit next time I go Stoke way,

I've go to the Fent shop, they have one in Macclesfield, Bury, Skipton, Kings Lynn & they have an Ebay shop or you can shop on line from their own websitem as far as I know.