PDA

View Full Version : stopping the dummy

upadaisy
13-03-2010, 10:08 PM
hi

i have a lo who is sucking his dummy when he arrives to me in the morning....... mum then takes it of him and gives it to me ...... she tells me not to give it to him during the day but as soon as she arrives back to lift him she gives it straight back to him .... he does cry looking it during the day.... what would you do :mad:

LittleStar's
13-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I dont know if this would work , bt maybe yo could discuss with mum that she has lo put the dummy somwhere special at home ready for when they get back that way they know that there isnt one at your house?! How old is lo?!

I have a 2 and a half yr old that mum pushes the dmmy onto ( i think to keep her quiet ) she quite happily puts it in her bag when she arrives and leaves it there most days untill she gets home.

hth x

upadaisy
14-03-2010, 10:21 AM
hi there lo is 2 1/2 years comes to me sucking the dummy and is given it as soon as mum comes to collect him ( by mum ) i have seen him out at weekend in town and he is always sucking the dummy ..... so why is she trying to stop him when he is with me..... its making me out the bad one who wont give him his dummy and mummy the good one when she returns to collect him as she hands it straight to him.......:( :( :(

mamasheshe
14-03-2010, 10:30 AM
hi there lo is 2 1/2 years comes to me sucking the dummy and is given it as soon as mum comes to collect him ( by mum ) i have seen him out at weekend in town and he is always sucking the dummy ..... so why is she trying to stop him when he is with me..... its making me out the bad one who wont give him his dummy and mummy the good one when she returns to collect him as she hands it straight to him.......:( :( :(

i;d tell her this xx

Tam's Tribe
14-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Sounds like she isnt prepared for the battle but then why should you?

I have a 22 mnth old LO who LOVES her dummy and she always has it in her mouth but I noticed that she didn't seem particularly bothered if she didn't have it especially as we were always busy so we left it at my house when we went to Toddlers and she only had it at nap time so by the time the mum said she would like to get rid of the dummy I could happily tell her she only has at mu house at nap time which made mum happy. Mum said she is going to do the same and we would both tackle nap / bed time together.

The Juggler
14-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd be happier, personally that she didn't want him to have the dummy whilst at mine. Most of my mums who have left children have the dummy a lot, I encourage them to put it down when they arrive and not have it back until they leave.

I then tend to bury it somewhere in the bag, rather than hand it to parent hoping that it won't go straight in their mouth.

Don't worry about it hon, the best thing here is that whilst with you child is dummyless and and having more time to speak and not potentially having his teeth go wonky! Ignore how you feel (but I do know what you mean :( ) and think it's best for him anyhow.

You could start banging on about how well he does ALL day without the dummy and it suggest it could be a good time to lose it all day now anyway and just keep it for night/nap times (turn the tables a bit)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I have the same thing but I am the one removing the dummy. it is put out of sight until the mindee goes home and mum gives it back. The mindee soon got used to the routine and then I stopped it at bedtime (quite by accident because I forgot) and he now doesn't have one at mine or at home.

Tina O
14-03-2010, 05:31 PM
hi

i have a lo who is sucking his dummy when he arrives to me in the morning....... mum then takes it of him and gives it to me ...... she tells me not to give it to him during the day but as soon as she arrives back to lift him she gives it straight back to him .... he does cry looking it during the day.... what would you do :mad:

I wonder if mum actually realises what she is doing or is it just a 'habbit' for her to put dummy in lo mouth as well? she may have had to think about the dummy issue when she leaves lo with you but hasn't made the contection ref getting rid of it, try talking to her and bringing it to her attention......

charleyfarley
14-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I had the same thing happen, I was stopping ds having his dummy so mindees mom said she wanted her lo to stop having his too. Great I thought as neither would be having them. Mindee used to turn up with dummy in his mouth but as soon as he came in he put it in his bag. He went without it all day, not even having it for his sleep but as soon as parents turned up he was hunting in his bag for it.

Parents admitted to me that it was easier to let him have it otherwise he would scream for it. It was a year later that they finally got it off him at home.:eek:

Carol xx

upadaisy
14-03-2010, 08:15 PM
thanks everyone

im going to tell mum its all or nothing, if she wants me to keep dummy of lo she must not bring him in sucking it and must not give it to him whilst in my presence ..... i dont want the child to see me as the bad one who will not let him have his dummy :( ...