PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

sophiemarie
13-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi all just completed my first week and have lovely children and parents.
I was a nursery nurse and worked with 3 year olds a setting of children the same age.
I have two children all day one is 18 months and the other 3 years and I am struggling a little with planning and setting up my playroom for both ages.
I have spent quite alot on new resources for my playroom and they just chuck them on the floor and walk over them is this normal developmental level for an 18 month. I am not being precious over my resources and I love to see children play and don't mind mess but this is chaos.
A friend suggested not putting so much out but what do I do about free choice and a stimulating environment.
Saying this I have only been minding for a week but love it even if it is a very hard job. I love the interaction you can have with the children compared to nursery.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give its great to have this site:) :)

angeldelight
13-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I know just what you mean

Its only your first week and early days yet though so why dont you set the rules in motion now - set your ground rules

Explain how we dont walk over the toys encourage them to tidy up if they are not playing with something

Maybe just set a few boxes out and see how it goes from there - get to know them and see what they like

It is a new setting for the children and they are prob loving the freedom they have no idea what is acceptable and what is not - plus they are getting to know you and know the other children
They will also test you

Set your rules gently from the start - guide them and by watching them play you will get to know what their interests are

Dont try so hard - forget about the planning and everything at the moment and enjoy being with the children and getting to know them

Good luck

Angel xx

sophiemarie
13-03-2010, 08:56 AM
thank you will try your advice x

jo f
13-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I had this prob too, I also was a nursery nurse and was I think trying too hard to ensure children could play with all areas of learning toys. I used to set different areas up, and yes it was chaotic! I was told by my childminding co ordinator that i had too much going on and had to think of the potential hazards. Over the months she saw little improvement, I just couldn't get nursery out of my head. Now I only put one activity out and the children still have access to more, they play so much better! It encourages tidying up before another activity too- I seemed to be forever picking up!

mamasheshe
13-03-2010, 09:10 AM
i asked this question on free choice and child led play and was told it is "having the resources available not a free for all on toys" so if they want something else down we pack up the thing we have out and get something new out this is what i do anyone please correct me if I'm wrong:blush: :blush:

sandy64
13-03-2010, 09:12 AM
hi i usually find this with new lo as there so excited at the amount of toys they want to explore all hence the mess it does normally where off and this is the age to encourage tidy up after playtime, try and get a little less out of each that way they can still explore but less mess, :)providing the lo can see and ask for things you dont need lots out together that way they still have a choice but its not all over. Good luck with your childminding

JJAY
13-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I have started to put less out, although I make sure I cover individual interests and all six areas pf learning. Just get to know them first.

Fabby
13-03-2010, 12:12 PM
:thumbsup: good advise which i will be bearing in mind myself xx thanks girlies

sophiemarie
13-03-2010, 07:00 PM
thank you I will def put less out next week great advice thanks again x x