PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning toys help

cas2805
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Please can I have some advice about cleaning my baby toys.

DS & a mindee have just had D&V so want to give everything a good clean ready for a fresh start on Monday.

All the plastic toys went into the cold water steraliser, foam playmat was washed with warm soapy water, but what should I wash the soft toys that won't go into the washing machine?

Got a octopus from ELC of different fabric, some fabric books and soft toys that won't go in the washing machine, help!!! Will a wipe over with a damp cloth get rid of the germs?

Mouse
12-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I tend to put all the soft toys in the washer. They usually come out OK :thumbsup:

Other than that, could you spray them with a disinfectant spray until they're damp then leave them to dr?

margimum
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Dettol do a non taint spray that I use by the gallon!! Spray until really damp and peg on the line in this lovely sunshine whilst you have the chance!:laughing:

Blaze
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
If it's a soft toy that I can't wash (the majority I do), but if it has batteries for example - I sponge wash & then I steam them - failing that ie you don't have a steamer - in a bag & in the freezer for 12 hours kills the germs:thumbsup:

sunflower
12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I clean my soft toys in the washing machine with fabric softener they come out smelling lovely :D
I also use the dish washer for cleaning lego etc

dobby
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I have washed lots of soft toys that in theory should not be machine washed - including a boots octopus that had electronic music on one arm - it still worked once dry :D

If they have dangly bits or are delicate i put them in a pillowcase to saqve them getting snagged on anything. Fast spin to get most of the moisture out and then once done pop on a radiator to dry

failing that try the freezer trick, it does work

dobby
12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh and anything plastic goes in my dishwasher too - including the booster seats when they get too manky to wipe down :laughing:

mamasheshe
12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I have washed lots of soft toys that in theory should not be machine washed - including a boots octopus that had electronic music on one arm - it still worked once dry :D

If they have dangly bits or are delicate i put them in a pillowcase to saqve them getting snagged on anything. Fast spin to get most of the moisture out and then once done pop on a radiator to dry

failing that try the freezer trick, it does work

this is what i do :thumbsup: