PDA

View Full Version : When is a child really ill??

abijacgem
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi, a little advice from some experienced minders would be gratefully received here. How can you tell whether a child has got diarrohea because of cutting teeth? I have a feeling that one of my children is actually poorly, but the parents put it down to teeth, and it is not the first time. Is there a way you can tell? I know you can feel the teeth coming through on the gums, but can anyone shed any light?????

Also, if a child is obviously feeling ill, upset, lethergic, not themself, and they do not have a high temp, would you suggest they go home?

And if a child has been diagnosed with a Virus (which is not contagious) should I have the child in the setting?

I do think that sometimes there is a fine line between childminder and nurse!!? I'm feeling it this week!

jelly15
12-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry not much help to you but as a parent if my child was feeling ill, upset, lethergic, not themself, I would keep them home. I suggest you ask the parents for the doctors advice about if LO was well enough to come to you and be around other LOs.

sandy64
12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
i would say if a child was showing signs of being ill send him home they need there mummys, i once took my lo to my g.p when cutting teeth as she had been poorly for a while. he said teething doesnt cause diarrohea, can be a little looser than normal but not runny. there is alot of bugs at the moment so better for you all to keep at home till lo been to g.p. virus not sure if its infectious or not sorry,

Pipsqueak
12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Diahorrea is diahorrea - regardless of whats causing it.

If a child cannot join in the normal routine of the setting because they are poorly then I would say they need to be at home.
It comes down to judgement though - sometimes a dose of paracetamol will see them through the day and they just need a rest and bit of tlc for short periods.