PDA

View Full Version : bought gardening resources..

Delly
17-03-2008, 01:17 PM
went shopping yesterday bought lots of things. Got some great bargains in Instore..

Greenhouse(one of those little ones with PVC cover) , loads of seeds, plants, herbs etc. strawberries.

Going to have some fun planting them all out..

decided to grow our own veggies can't wait for them to grow, sure i'll be more excited than the kids... :)

does anyone else do anything like this? sure Ofsted would like it, wouldn't they? ??

Heaven Scent
17-03-2008, 01:22 PM
They'llk love it - will worship the ground you walk on even.

Celine.

ma7ie
17-03-2008, 01:42 PM
The furthest I've got with growing anything is mustard and cress.:D

Banana
17-03-2008, 01:44 PM
cool!

the kids will love that!

x

manjay
17-03-2008, 01:56 PM
We had a small plastic green house last year. It was only my children as I hadn't started minding then but they loved it. We grew allsorts, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, herbs, strawberries and some flowers too.

Dh has just bought me a proper greenhouse (child friendly of course) to put at the end of the garden. Hopefully he can get it put up this weekend. I have fantastic memories of spending hours with my dad in his greenhouse when I was little so really looking forward to it.

The children will love it

amanda xx

sarah707
17-03-2008, 02:16 PM
sure Ofsted would like it, wouldn't they? ??

Oh yes!

Sounds brilliant fun... we're doing our flowerbed at the moment and sowing some seeds - always exciting waiting for them to pop up! :D

Tily Bud
17-03-2008, 02:26 PM
sounds great xx

crazybones
17-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Ive got one of those plastic greenhouses on my wish list. I would like to get my kitchen window back. I have 8 apple pips in pots but only one is growing! Sunflower seeds, cress and some tomatoes that dont seem to be doing much either.

donnagwynne
17-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I love gardening with my little ones. According to my development worker, you can score extra brownie points with ofsted for making sure you are Organic in the garden i.e. no herbicides/pesticides/chemical fertilizers etc and of course for getting the kids to eat your organic produce.

Apparantly Ofsted are quite keen on the 'O' word so make sure you tell them.

Happy planting,

Donna.

p.s. If you find a way of keeping slugs off the lettuce please let me know!!!!1

Delly
22-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Well we had a busy time planting out all our seeds etc last week, we've planted potatoes, carrotts, lettuces, beetroot, onions, tomatoes, cucumber and peppers..

Can't wait for them all to grow.. :)

christine e
22-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi
Last year we grew spinach, strawberries, raspberries, carrots, courgettes, balckberries, runner beans, radishes and spring onions. Ofsted Inspector very impressed. Remember to take photos when in full glory as it was March this year when I had inspection and not much to look at then.
Christine

donnahay0
22-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Planted up some seeds in tubs with my mindees last week. It is very unfortunate that they can't go in my garden at the moment as the fence and decking is being done - my garden is a mess, ofsted would have a field day. Have risk assessed - Garden - Not Entry - job done - have to go to parks and friends gardens for the time being.

Have also got runner beans growing in jam jars - one with water and sun, one without water but sun etc & we are waiting to see what happens - thought it would be nice for kids to see roots growing as well and they grow quickly.

hello kitty
22-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I must get around to gardening, the most I've grown before are sunflowers and cress!! (and they wilted!) Needless to say even houseplants die under my touch :blush:

Is there anything foolproof I could try to kill - sorry - grow?!?!

Delly
22-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I must get around to gardening, the most I've grown before are sunflowers and cress!! (and they wilted!) Needless to say even houseplants die under my touch :blush:

Is there anything foolproof I could try to kill - sorry - grow?!?!

I have always had the same problem as well, but this year everything seems to be growing not sure why...
Try the little individual seed plant sets, I got them in wilkinsons. It comes with the soil, seeds and a small propigator thing. They were 99p each and the seeds sprouted within 2 days !! I didn't think they'd work but have up to now..

Donkey
22-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I love gardening with my little ones. According to my development worker, you can score extra brownie points with ofsted for making sure you are Organic in the garden i.e. no herbicides/pesticides/chemical fertilizers etc and of course for getting the kids to eat your organic produce.

Apparantly Ofsted are quite keen on the 'O' word so make sure you tell them.

Happy planting,

Donna.

p.s. If you find a way of keeping slugs off the lettuce please let me know!!!!1

bury a pint pot in the ground, pour in some beer, cover with a plastic dome of some kind with holes in the side, happy beer drunk slugs (although not child friendly) so do this at night when mindees have gone and pour dead slugs away in the morning.

get some copper tape and tape it around your pots, slugs can't travel over.
cheaper but less safe method is the copper pan scourers, unravel them and wind around the pots

guess who is growing lettuce in her garden and the slugs are not having it this year!!!

Polly2
23-04-2008, 07:37 AM
We planted some carrots yesterday in the big recycling bags you can get!

The kids loved planting and getting muddy, got potatoes ready for next week.

We have also planted some sunflowers to take home once they start getting big!