PDA

View Full Version : how do you all lift heavy children?

happy days
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
hello ladies

what do you all do with children that are too heavy to lift? I have a 16 month old who weighs nearly 3 stone, and doesnt do much to move or help himself when getting out of car, buggy, going up and down steps etc. Am I just being weak or is there something I can do to help myself?
love gabrielle

suzyblue
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
When I had a particularly heavy child in my care and a bad back my doctor suggested I roll him to move him!!!!:laughing:

mamasheshe
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
When I had a particularly heavy child in my care and a bad back my doctor suggested I roll him to move him!!!!:laughing:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Alibali
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
That's quite heavy for a baby, my ds aged 8 is 3 stone 3. No way could I lift him regularly.

sarah707
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
He is going to have to help himself more!

You should use your forearm and wrists under his arm pits rather than hands so you are spreading the weight.

Hth :D

mushpea
11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I care for a particular heavy todler, and encourage him to move himself about, i tell him ihave a bad back and cant lift him that if he dosent move himself he stays there, i have taught him to climb in and out of the car and i make him walk rather than use a buggy,

newandlearning
11-03-2010, 06:36 PM
how about hurling him :laughing: :laughing: ... it seems to work well in Scotland.

or trying to get him to help as much as possible .. equally tricky...

is he in a highback booster seat already if he's that big..?

try getting him to eat on a kiddi table so you don't have to lift onto a chair...

get him to climb into buggy himself .. altho how do you push the weight easily...

oh dear.. am sending you some positive vibes are fear I'm on no real help.:o

miffy
11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
That does seem very heavy for that age! No wonder you've got a bad back!

As the others have said try to get him to help as much as possible.

Miffy xx

happy days
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
hello
i already make sit at the kiddie table with the other two 3 yr olds as he is big as them! trouble is because he is just fed at home, and not made to do much. he finds it hard when i mind him.
I have started to make him move himself more, but things like getting out the car, u go to move the straps and he just sits there!
I hurt my shoulder a couple of weeks ago carrying him down the stairs and so i dont know what anyone else of this idea but i thought i could use reins to help him walk down the stairs when we are out. As one of the baby groups i go to in a old church, there is a flight of stairs to get there.
his diet is really poor and i have tried suggesting things to mum, and offered to provide lunch for him but she wasnt interested but iam worried about his health.

The Juggler
11-03-2010, 08:37 PM
That's quite heavy for a baby, my ds aged 8 is 3 stone 3. No way could I lift him regularly.

glad it's not just me - my dd is not much more than that either - I was getting worried she was underweight! she's just 8!

To happydays though, I would just lift as little as possible. Let him crawl up the stairs with you right behind. When you do lift bend down, knees bent, tense those abs and lift. I'm practising at the moment with a heavy 1 year old but not as heavy as your one!:panic:

Blaze
11-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Is he tall too? All mine have been big & heavy either on the top centile or off it! ...But their weight has always been in perfect corilation to their height IYSWIM....Basically is he just a big lad or is he overweight?

terrydoo73
11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I know what this is like - I have twins who are very heavy but also very active so if I undo the strap of their car seat they are out of the car before you could blink! My tactic now is I stand at one door and release the straps then tell them to walk towards me. I let them make their own way out of the car and hold onto one while the other is getting out - it works! I also try and encourage them to walk everywhere as much as possible as it burns a lot of their energy. I live on a farm and my daughter comes home by bus - our lane is about 1 1/2 miles long from the house to the end of the lane and it is all uphill! When the weather gets better I am planning to do this little walk every morning as well!! My biggest hurdle is getting them into the cot every day and i do as someone has suggested put my arms under their armpits and it definately spreads the weight!

haribo
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
i mind a really heavy nearly 3 yr old -tall for her age and not fat just solid .shes really mobile so the only problem i have is when we go to the park and trying to get her on the swing :panic: i have to brace myself then heave and try not to swear under my breath :laughing: would hate to give her a complex :panic:

Mouse
11-03-2010, 09:54 PM
When I did my health & safety course a couple of years ago the instructor said that whenever possible we should use lifting equipment for lifting children :laughing:

He really didn't have a clue how childminders work :panic:

babs
11-03-2010, 10:00 PM
just done a moving and handling course... to lift a child place your hands on the rib cage ( not under armpits and this can cause damage), with the childs back against your stomach bend your knees and life with your legs, if poss get a chair behide you so u can lift to the sitting postion then to the standing postion... but where u can get them to move themselves.

happy days
11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I have checked his height and weight on the new growth centiles charts, and his weight is way over the 98th centile ! in fact its more 110! but his height is 91st so although his height is near his height, there still is a difference!

Helen Dempster
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM

OH HOW FUNNY!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

crazyhazy
11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
hello ladies

what do you all do with children that are too heavy to lift? I have a 16 month old who weighs nearly 3 stone, and doesnt do much to move or help himself when getting out of car, buggy, going up and down steps etc. Am I just being weak or is there something I can do to help myself?
love gabrielle

Is he really 3 stone, was just looking at my daughters red book and I know the girls charts are slightly different but that would mean he was almost 20kgs which is way off the centiles?

At 16m he's still a baby really, but you could definately encourage him to go up and down stairs with you helping, my eldest was walking up and down 2 flights of stairs to our flat by 18m cos I was pg with her sister and struggled carrying her up them, and she's a skinny thing.

Probey9
11-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Just keep encouraging him to be more independant and do things for himself will sort itself out in time.

Blaze
11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I have checked his height and weight on the new growth centiles charts, and his weight is way over the 98th centile ! in fact its more 110! but his height is 91st so although his height is near his height, there still is a difference!

It could be that LO is due a growth spurt - but if the weight is constantly out of sink with his height, then their may be cause for concern long term...excellent advise already given re the practicalities of lifting LO.:thumbsup:

little chickee
12-03-2010, 09:05 AM
i would get him to move about himself as much as possible - yes at 16 months he is still a baby but i would look at it that you are doing him a favour in the long term by helping him to maybe lose a few pounds.

Also if you are struggling to lift him you have to consider your own health too.

JJAY
13-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't pick him up all the time. he needs the exercise your not being cruel.

PixiePetal
13-03-2010, 04:31 PM
My son was born over the top centile and stayed that way all the time but his height and weight were both in line with each other.

He was 2 stone at 1yr.

At 13 months he started walking and I didn't stop him :laughing: I encouraged as much movement as possible to save my back. He became very independent. If he wanted something, he had to go and get it!

Bless him, he is now 13yrs old, 5'8'' at least and has size 10 feet - about 9 stone too :D