PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday??

booboo
17-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Do you class good Friday as a bank holiday is so does anyone charge extra?

cheers Amanda

crazybones
17-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I would class it as a bank holiday. I might have to work it this year for the first time but have told mum as stated in contract it is double time. She is waiting on hubby's work but she works for the trains so has to work all bank holidays.

booboo
17-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Cheers i only realised last night it was a bank holiday, completely forget till hubby said he was off work!! i'll have to speak to mum hope i don't have to work.

Amanda x

wendywu
17-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I never work bank holidays and i charge for them, about the only perk i get, roll on Friday:)

crazybones
17-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Just realised if I dont have to work Friday I get 10 days in a row off. :jump for joy:

yummymummy
17-03-2008, 10:39 AM
oooh lucky you Annie! :clapping:

booboo
17-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Yer lucky you :clapping: ive got next week off ooh i so can't wait :jump for joy:

Amanda x

sarah707
17-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't work Bank Holidays, so I don't charge for them - if I charged and parents wanted me to work, I'd be gutted! :D

Banana
17-03-2008, 11:07 AM
im not working... well. nobody has asked me to yet

xxx

fionamal
17-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I dont work holidays at all. Thats my time with family and we generally try and go away for long weekend with caravan then as well.

crazybones
17-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Just found out I have to work. :( Never mind my hubby has to work all Easter weekend so I suppose one more on Fri afternoon wont make much difference.

oakie dokie
17-03-2008, 12:28 PM
i charge full bh but i get paid and am not available.
yes friday is bh
hazelx

Heaven Scent
17-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes Fri is a bank hol was told on ICP its now common practice to charge for bank hols and not to work them and if you do charge an overtime rate a pound extra per hour or double time or whatever I'd judge by the parents occ. Don't forget they will be paid extra for their day so its justified - mind you I won't be charging extra for my Fri night boy because of the language barrier and because always get a free take-away, but if one of my other parents wanted the day then I'd charge extra.- TG they won't though.

Celine

miffy
17-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Good Friday is a bank holiday so I won't be working - I don't work Fridays anyway so none of my mindees will be charged

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
17-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Ment to add to last post that I am off all next week as am going to Irelnd to see my family from Sun - Fri husband working next on the Sun - I need to let my Chinese family know wont be here on the Fri. Ireland trips are not all plain sailing for me usually as I spend the whole time doing jobs etc for my mum - she's unbelievable - I'll be cleaning out already clean cupboards, paining something or other. When my son was 6 mths old I had to paint the landing hall and stairs inlcluding the ceilings (its not exactly a small space in heer house), when I went for a couple of days while my DH was working in Amsterdam - I only went for the company because I was invited - my husband came to meet me there so we could travel home together with the baby and all the luggage they entail just as well really I was nackered. - Two years ago I had to paint a ****** bed she bought which entailed taking all the varnish off first then she'd bought rubbish varnish so I had to start all over again - at the same time as wanting me to do all this she expects me to take her out every day and look after my children - husband thinks he's on holiday so it ment me going to bed at all hours at night and getting about 3 hours sleep before tackling the blasted bed again. She is so fussy too - every thing has to be perfect for her.

Celine:

buildingblocks
17-03-2008, 04:33 PM
i do not work Bank Holidays so I do not charge (But they are extra to my x amount of weeks holiday that i take off)

Mum who started three weeks ago came on Friday and informed me that I wouldn't be needed for hte two days Bank holidays I said good as I won't be here as I don't work Bank Holidays. She said but you did say as I worked in Hospital and have to work you would consider them. I said actually what I said (when pointing out the relevant bit in my handbook) was that I don't work Bank holidays but if asked to work them then I may consider each one independently at the time depending on family commitments. Her reply oh okay I will let you know about he ones in May (Arrgghhh - tough as I am away for both those holidays as well but will elave it until the last minute if she doesn't ask)

booboo
17-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Parents really try it on don't they you could sceam :angry: lol

Amanda

Rubybubbles
17-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't work Bank Holidays, so I don't charge for them - if I charged and parents wanted me to work, I'd be gutted! :D

same here!

I can't see how I could charge if I was unavaible think I'm a bit old style on this one!!

Monkey1
17-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I dont work them and charge the normal fee apart from my one little one who's guardian is a nurse so although she might be on rota she can't ask me!:D

Trouble
17-03-2008, 07:37 PM
why do people charge full fee as they dont work them i thought if you charge full fee or half you have to be available

or am i missing something i s hould be doing?:eek:

Lou
17-03-2008, 07:50 PM
If a bank holiday falls on a day i would have a mindee, then yes they pay full rate and i DO NOT work.

The way i see it is all my parents at the moment have jobs where they dont work bank holidays and they still get paid so why shouldnt i?

If they did shift work and needed me then i would be prepared to work but it would be double time.

I am entitled to a life as much as anyone!!!

Trouble
17-03-2008, 07:53 PM
If a bank holiday falls on a day i would have a mindee, then yes they pay full rate and i DO NOT work.

The way i see it is all my parents at the moment have jobs where they dont work bank holidays and they still get paid so why shouldnt i?

If they did shift work and needed me then i would be prepared to work but it would be double time.

i wasnt being funny i just didnt understand why a few people charged and some dont.

my parents would send their children if i charged them

Minnie Minx
17-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Lou i agree with you entirely, you must remember that you are workers and are entitled to be paid bank holidays just like any other worker!!

It's not old fashioned just good business sense lol

xxx

Trouble
17-03-2008, 08:05 PM
i want to put my prices up imagine when i tell them that!!!!!!!

Schnakes
17-03-2008, 09:24 PM
My parents are doing my :censored: head in about this weekend!!

Parent one wants me to look after her daughter on Friday...but doesnt want to pay the massive 10p per hour extra (ggrrr!! :angry: ). We are having a bit of a dispute over her contract at the moment anayway, and I am sooooo close to just throwing in the towel, even though I love the wee girl to bits!

Parent two (who started with me Feb2007) has suddenly decided that it isnt in her contract to pay 1/2 time for bank holidays. She doesnt quite understand that A) I am open for business so if she wants me to work Im here and B) even if she just wanted to take the day off on leave SHE WOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY 1/2 TIME!!! :mad:

****** parents!

Sx

Tily Bud
17-03-2008, 09:28 PM
i dont work bank hols - so wont be working on friday but do charge full price xx

Schnakes
17-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Rascal - I agree with you - if Im not available to work I dont charge. It doesnt matter if "they" get paid...no work, no pay, imo.

When we talk about parents not paying us our fees, we often use the analogy of buying a tshirt in a shop. Parents wouldnt pick up a tshirt and say to the shopkeeper "I'll pay you next week". Equally, we dont expect the shop keeper to tell us that even though they are not offering a tshirt, they still expect to be paid for it.

I charge 1/2 fees to hold that place for the child. I AM open bank holidays - its then the parents choice if they dont use it.

Sx

miffy
18-03-2008, 07:58 AM
The beauty of being self-employed is that you decide what suits you best and we are all different

I agree with Lou and it is clear to my parents - written into their contracts and my policies. If a bank holiday falls on a contracted day then they are charged full fees - I do not work the bank holiday.

This is negotiated in the same way as all the other terms and conditions in the contract - I see no reason why if parents are being paid bank holidays and are having the day off then I shouldn't also

As I say there is no right or wrong answer here we each run our own business and do what suits us best

Miffy xx

sarah32
18-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Im off friday but they pay me as would of been a working day. In contract and they signed for it.:D

Schnakes
18-03-2008, 08:52 AM
True Miffy :) I suppose it depends what you do re: your normal holidays as well - again, I dont charge full price, but I suppose if you do then it wouldnt make sense to charge 1/ for bank holidays!

Sx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
18-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't work bank holidays so I don't charge for them, if I did some of them would turn up and I don't want that so it is easier not to charge.

Lorraine xx

Michelle M
18-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I am not working this Bank Holiday and my parents arent charged for it :) I dont want to risk parents sending their children to me if I charge them :laughing:

Michelle xx

deeb66
18-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't nor have i ever worked Bank Holidays.

If the day falls in the normal week then I charge full fees.

I do not have any parents who work shifts so it has never caused a problem. I just explain when signing the contract that I am entitled to Bank Holiday off and be paid like they are.

Lou
18-03-2008, 07:56 PM
As Miffy has said we all run our own business so we do what suits us.

I do charge for bank holidays but dont give parents an option of sending their children!!!

I dont charge for my holidays hough as i figurethey may have to pay for alternative childcare.

we all do things differntly thats what makes this forum interesting to get other peoples opinions.

Michelle M
18-03-2008, 08:09 PM
As Miffy has said we all run our own business so we do what suits us.

I do charge for bank holidays but dont give parents an option of sending their children!!!

I dont charge for my holidays hough as i figurethey may have to pay for alternative childcare.

we all do things differntly thats what makes this forum interesting to get other peoples opinions.

Absolutley agree, and i am so glad I fond this site, its great to hear how people do things differently and certainkly picking up hints and tips and when I review my policies some things are definitly changing :thumbsup:

Michelle xx

staciew1985
18-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Hello i offer bank holidays unless i have otherwise stated i am on holidays. I work mine like this if the bank holiday falls on a childs contracted day they are still charged for that day at the normal rate if they are not attending. however i send out my parents a lette with a tear off slip at bottom to return to state if they will need childcare or not on those days and i also offer this to children that dont come those days incase they need extra childcare and i can fit them in but those that do come on bank holidays are charged double the hourly rate which is 6 quid an hour which seems quite a lot but its our holiday too

angeldelight
18-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Crikey cant believe anyone would work on Good Friday - I would NEVER do that haha

Angel xx

wendywu
19-03-2008, 12:22 AM
No its a day when my family go out and spend some quality time together.

When i did my induction course 12 years ago, we were told to charge for Bank Holidays but to take them off. Im sure it says in the NCMA book to charge,and if your parent works different days to add the bank holidays together work out the cost and divide it out over the year and add it to your hourly rate. If you get my meaning:idea:

deeb66
19-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Crikey cant believe anyone would work on Good Friday - I would NEVER do that haha

Angel xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

susi513
20-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I know some of you don't feel comfortable charging for bank holidays when you're not available to work. And I used to feel that way too. But what persuaded me to start charging was the viewpoint that bank holidays are "mutual holidays" and quite different from the childminders annual holiday/sickness or other times off.

I consider bank holidays as "mutual holidays" because neither the parent nor the childminder can choose when the bank holiday will be. Also in 7 years of childminding no-one has ever asked me to provide childcare on a bank holiday. So none of my parents have to pay a subsitute carer on a bank holiday like they might have to do on the days I close for annual holiday or sickness etc.

Some people think we are not entitled to payment on bank holidays because we are not employees. Most of the parents we work with are employees and are being paid not to work on bank holidays. But we can't operate like other self-employed trades either. A plumber or decorator, for example, can take on extra work at certain times of the year to bring in enough money to cover for times off at bank holidays or sickness etc. We can't do that because our maximum income is capped by the set child ratios. And we often can't fulfill our maximum earning potential because there are not enough parents requiring full time places and p/t places leave unpaid gaps. Also we are restricted to only being able to work when our clients are working whereas other trades are likely to find their clients can be far more flexible about the working hours because its only a one-off or short term arrangement.

I now charge for bank holidays - no-one has ever queried or complained about it.

disney
20-03-2008, 02:26 PM
i dont work bank holidays so i dont charge for them , but i do work good friday if any one needs me as first of all i didnt realise it was one & also my husband is at work so i might as well work it . so i charge for good friday if they are contracted . i have been lucky as none of my parents need me and have paid me :) oh apart from ( her) the one that moans about , my unsocial hour price , about paying for her holidays , about me not wanting to work till 6pm , and that she doesnt think its right to pay if her child doesnt attend and lots more sorry :angry:

angeldelight
20-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I think everyone should do what they want to do to be honest

If you want to work it then work it if you dont then dont

Simple

Angel xx