PDA

View Full Version : Outside play help

terrydoo73
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a little mindee who is aged 4 and she comes to me after nursery every day at 12 midday. We have been having really brilliant sunshine these past few days and I have encouraged her to be outside as much as possible. There are numerous ride-ons tricycles, go-carts, bikes, Little Tikes cars, tractors etc in a lean to shed that is open so she can pick which ones she wants to use. I also have a small wooden playhouse and keep everything else in here from slides, chairs, balls, blackboard, table with dolls playhouse, rockers etc. It is usually shut up when she comes but not very long after arriving it is opened and I mean everything comes out. I don't mind this so much as I make sure she puts it all away again but she never actually plays with anything that she brings out - it is just a matter of emptying the playhouse. I was so annoyed yesterday as she was out on her own and it was like half an hour before lunch so I told her just ride your bike or your gokart for a short while and we will have lunch but when I looked out 5 mins later she had the place emptied and wasn't touching one thing but looking in the back door and saying "I don't want to play outside anymore!" I was nearly going to tell her to put everything away again because I was so annoyed at telling her to just to play with the bike or gokart and she turned around and did this to me but knew that would need them out in the afternoon for my other mindees. Bar locking the playhouse door what can I do with her? I tried the tactic the day before of having everything out before she arrived as my other mindees were also out but she refused to play outside with them initially preferring instead to go into the kitchen and doing a picture. I don't want to have a word with mum - she thinks this is being petty but I think it is a question of discipline - I really would like to know if this is what happens at home but am afraid to ask in case I am told to stop being silly and let the child play with what she wants! Help!

Pipsqueak
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I would be tempted to only have a few things out - either do it before she arrives or go to the shed with her and say today we can get out 3 (for example) items. Get out those items and shut the shed.
I would also be making her put things away - make it into a game. children need to learn responsibility for equipment.

If she wants something different because she has finished playing with it then say which toy shall we put away then so we can get the other out.

messyplay
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
agree with that dont let her get everything out limit them and encourage to put away

LisaMcNally09
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I wouldnt make an issue about it. Yes ask her to help put them away with you but it may be a schema she is going through. Where they enjoy emptying things, shes just doing it on a larger scale.

There will be a reason behind her doing it and i dont think it will be a lack of discipline. Not all children will conform to the sitting and playing with a toy and may not actually play with anything but flit around things. It doesnt mean they arent learning or are misbehaving IYSWIM

Pipsqueak
11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt make an issue about it. Yes ask her to help put them away with you but it may be a schema she is going through. Where they enjoy emptying things, shes just doing it on a larger scale.

There will be a reason behind her doing it and i dont think it will be a lack of discipline. Not all children will conform to the sitting and playing with a toy and may not actually play with anything but flit around things. It doesnt mean they arent learning or are misbehaving IYSWIM

Excellent point Lisa about schema. But by emptying we must learn to refill. And I must admit I would not want my shed emptied and having it all scattered around the garden. By having too many toys out can create the other problem of not knowing what to play with - too much choice and not enough exploration or appreciation of what is there.
OP - have you noticed the child emptying other things?

bexcee
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I would be tempted to only have a few things out - either do it before she arrives or go to the shed with her and say today we can get out 3 (for example) items. Get out those items and shut the shed.
I would also be making her put things away - make it into a game. children need to learn responsibility for equipment.

If she wants something different because she has finished playing with it then say which toy shall we put away then so we can get the other out.

This is what I would of said too.