PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice please!

Cazz
11-03-2010, 10:18 AM
I posted a thread on here last night about a blockage in a pipe in our bathroom but at 2.00am this morning my daughter's baby monitor starting beeping (she has the nightlight on). The sockets had blown the trip so we had no power going through any sockets.

We discovered that water was leaking through our kitchen ceiling and had got into the electrical socket that powers the heating controls, so no heating either. The socket has dried out this morning and we have covered that and the other sockets as best we can but there is still water running through the ceiling onto the area with the sockets. There is also plaster fallen off the kitchen ceiling.

I've phoned my insurance company but can't get a plumber out until tomorrow morning :(

I'm not working today but due to have an 11 month old baby tomorrow. I'm assuming that I need to say I will have to close tomorrow (even if the water stops dripping) but the thing is the Ofsted inspector was possibly coming out. She's phoning me this afternoon to check that mindee should still be coming (mum due to give birth next week) so presumably I should just explain the situation to her? Can you imagine if she was sitting here and a piece of plaster or water dripped on her or my mindee :eek: Also, there's going to be a plumber here in the morning, I understand that you should avoid having workmen in whilst childminding?

Do I also need to phone Ofsted themselves and inform them I am closing in this situation?

I just can't believe this has happened now just as I am finally expecting my inspection - I've spent the last 2 nights sitting up until midnight checking everything and getting learning journeys up to date and now this!

messyplay
11-03-2010, 10:29 AM
you'll have to phone and explain situation to ofsted they must understand. you may need electrian to ok electrics if your worried about it to hope everything goes ok and gets fixed quickly

Winnie
11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Phone Ofsted and inform them you are closed for the rest of the week due to urgent repairs needed.
Can not help with the plumbing issues but i feel for you :(

youarewhatyoueat
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Get a screwdriver and punch a hole in the ceiling to allow the water to come through into a bucket. Tie up the ball valve in the toilet to stop it filling if thats where its coming from and turn off any isolating valves in the bathroom.
Also why not go out to a baby group tommorrow and cancell ofsted.

mama2three
11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
oh no Cazz , thats the last thing you need. no advice other than the above , just sending hugs!

caz3007
11-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Give Ofsted a call and explain whats happened. You are having to close and wont be minding tomorrow, but hopefully all will be well next week and you ca rearrange your inspection.

At least your inspector is expecting the fact it may or may not happen tomorrow anyway

LOOPYLISA
11-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Wish i could get my hubby out to you (plumber ) :thumbsup:

Hope you get it sorted soon x

miffy
11-03-2010, 02:14 PM
That's probably the last thing you needed to happen :(

Hope the plumber sorts it quickly and Ofsted are understanding

Miffy xx

bexcee
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Surely this is classed as an emergency and the insurance company should be getting a plumber out to you in a matter of hours. I'd ring them back, say the problem is getting worse and you are worried about how much damage the water leaking is going to do. It's going to be a bigger claim the longer it is left.
Hope you soon get it sorted and can get your inspection resheduled.

Cazz
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Wish i could get my hubby out to you (plumber ) :thumbsup:

Hope you get it sorted soon x

I wish he could come out too!!

I've got a plumber who SAYS he can come out in the morning, but never used him before - I was given his number by a plumber who my brother knows well, but unfortunately he wouldn't be able to get here until after the weekend :( Hopefully he will come and sort it for us.

I phoned Ofsted and the lady said she would put a note on my file to say that I am closed tomorrow for emergency plumbing repairs. I need to phone and let them know when I'm working again. She also said she would contact the Ofsted inspector and let her know that I'm closed tomorrow.

Haven't been able to get hold of my mindee's mum yet but she's lovely so I'm sure she'll be okay about it.

Oh well - an unexpected day off tomorrow, although it's going to be an expensive one :angry:

Cazz
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Surely this is classed as an emergency and the insurance company should be getting a plumber out to you in a matter of hours. I'd ring them back, say the problem is getting worse and you are worried about how much damage the water leaking is going to do. It's going to be a bigger claim the longer it is left.
Hope you soon get it sorted and can get your inspection resheduled.

I did stress that water was running onto the electrics but it seems to have almost stopped now - we've got buckets and towels everywhere!! Also that I'm a childminder and this means my business will have to close but it made no difference :(

They said we have to organise someone ourselves and a loss adjustor would be in contact with us within the next 48 hours!

Blaze
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I really feel for you & hope you're insurance company is better than mine x

FussyElmo
11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I really feel for you & hope you're insurance company is better than mine x

and mine x

Cazz
11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Oh dear - that doesn't sound very hopeful :(

I've never claimed on house insurance before so it's all new to me. We'll see :rolleyes:

I'm just more p*ssed of that I'm having to close tomorrow and my Ofsted inspection won't be happening now.

Blaze
11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry - we had a leak in our utility room - wooden flooring throughout most of the house...insurance took so long to sort it - it then became a mould problem...a year on & we have had to have the kitchen, utility room & downstairs bathroom ripped out & replaced ...we are just finished decorating - the work itself finished in Feb...complete nightmare! hence why i hope your's goes a bit smoother!:)

babs
11-03-2010, 11:24 PM
i took out a policy with severn trent water thats covers plumbing they aim to get a plumber to u the same day and its not that expensive i pay around £15 a month but that covers me for plumbing,(inside and out) drainage in side and out, electrics and central heating electrics , and accident policy if anyone falls and injurys themselves while in my house.. they also do gas but we dont have any...

hope it all works out ok in the end

Mollymop
12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh no! Sorry to hear this. Hope they get it sorted out really quickly hunni x