PDA

View Full Version : Calpol

snufflepuff
10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Just want to clarify something- if a parent has been giving calpol for a cold, sore throat and a mild temperature, are we allowed to accept the child and continue with the calpol? (obviously following the label for dosage etc) Obviously if the child seemed unwell/ thier temperature wasn't coming down, and needed to be at home you would call the parents, but if they were fine apart from the cold and sore throat, what would you do?

pinklady
10-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Like you say, if the child is really unwell then the best place for them is at home but if we excluded children every time they had a cold we'd have a lot of days off!

I do give calpol when absolutely necessary and just make sure I record the time and dose on the relevant paper work and also parents need to sign for any doses they have given before coming to me.

snufflepuff
10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Thats what i was thinking, if i turned away children with colds id also have to close each time my son or i had a cold too- id be closed more than im open!

Pipsqueak
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I only give paracetamol if absolutely necessary - I get written permission prior and exact dosage to be given, storage instructions, last dose given (by parent) and when I am to give it.
I then record it in the meds book and parents sign at collection.

I won't give calpol for nothing though

mama2three
10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
just be aware if you use the ncma forms that there is no place for parents to sign prior to being given it , so you need to add it in .

Cazz
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
just be aware if you use the ncma forms that there is no place for parents to sign prior to being given it , so you need to add it in .

How do you do that?

bexcee
10-03-2010, 11:20 PM

I just get them to sign the long term medication bit at the front with a list of medications such as ibprofen, paracetamol suspension, eye drops etc that they are happy for me to administer and then get them to sign as and when theit lo are given it.
Before I give it though I always phone mum to check ok and make sure they weren't given any at home.
My lo's parents supplied me with a bottle to keep at my house.

sonia ann
11-03-2010, 06:59 AM

it is now included on the new forms:)