PDA

View Full Version : Working Term Time Only

bexcee
10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I currently look after just one lo three days a week. Her mum is a teacher so I only have her during term time.
In the past I have worked throughout the year but found it very hard work in the holidays when I could have up to six children.
My problem is that I really need to take on another lo to make it worth my while minding however I have decided now that I only want to work term time (I have children of my own).
I have been advertising for several months but had no enquries. I am guessing it is becuase of the term time only thing although other childminders in the area have lots of spaces too.
Should I compromise and work the holidays? Or stick to what I want and hope the right family will be along soon?

grindal
10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
When I first started minding I advertised for term time only as DH is a teacher and we wanted holidays as a family. However, in the end I had to compromise and my first mindee was full time. Now, as an established minder I am a bit more confident about advertising term time only spaces. Have you tried sending some info to local schools to try and attract teachers? If you need the money then offer full time, if not stick to term time only. Something is bound to turn up eventually.

yummymummy
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I really wanted term time only but found only before and after schoolies interested in this. Now I have found a compromise in working all year but three days only. This gives me so much freedom in being able to make doctors and dental appointments etc and although I do work 3 days in the holidays, on these days we arrange for my daughter to see friends and I get 2days to devote to my daughter (other one at uni).
I wish that I had done this from the start of my childminding as I regret not really having much time for my own children.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
If you need the money I would advertise in general and see what comes along and then you have the choice if something full time comes in

sandy64
10-03-2010, 04:00 PM
have you thought about advertising termtime only and adding no fee charged in hols? that would be a good catch but thats if youre not bothered about half fee in hols

miffy
10-03-2010, 09:44 PM
. Now I have found a compromise in working all year but three days only.

I do this too. It really depends what suits you and what you can afford to do.

Hope something turns up soon

Miffy xx

The Juggler
10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
When I first started minding I advertised for term time only as DH is a teacher and we wanted holidays as a family. However, in the end I had to compromise and my first mindee was full time. Now, as an established minder I am a bit more confident about advertising term time only spaces. Have you tried sending some info to local schools to try and attract teachers? If you need the money then offer full time, if not stick to term time only. Something is bound to turn up eventually.

or you could compromise with parents of full-timers. Tell them you prefer not to work the school holidays. They might be prepared to take x no. days off in each school holiday so you have half week with your children and half working? Sure once they realise they will save money they might consider it.

Advertise on the usual places but use the offer of retainer free school holiday periods, as a sellign point. You'll soon attract teachers and school staff.
x

newandlearning
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I offer my full timer 1 weeks holiday free when ever they want to take it per year.. plus I take 2 weeks my self over the year un paid as well... maybe doing that or having a list of childminders who could help you out in the hols. could work.. I like having LOs during hols. only as its lovely having differnt lo's around.

Twinkles
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
When my own children were young I only worked term time.It might take a while to get the right mindees. I did what someone else suggested and charged no fees during holidays.If you did that you could make up the difference during term time by having more after schoolers.

bexcee
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am not desperate for the money at the moment and am waiting to start my nvq3 any time now so need some study time too.
Good idea to advertise at the school though, why hadn't I thought of that :rolleyes: going to put together an ad and drop it off at all the schools in the local area.

singlewiththree
11-03-2010, 06:46 AM
good luck. I find March is a good time for enquiries. I work term time and don't charge a retainer in the holidays which is always a selling point.

mushpea
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I have term time only children and dont charge a retainer in the hols because i dont see how i can since i took them on knowing they werent comming in the hols, plus its nicer for my 2 not to have lots of kids in the holls.
you could always advetise for all year round then only take on 1 child through the whole year just to boost your money in the hols.

youarewhatyoueat
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I only offer term time only contracts but I do offer adhoc/emergency cover for the holidays, that way I generally get the hols off and any holiday work is done on my terms and i'm not tied to it in any way, plus I charge a much higher rate.I also don't charge a retainer for holidays as to be honest I don't really want to work them.

mumx3
11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I work term time only and have lots of work and enquiries several times a week pretty much every week.

I dont charge a retainer through the holidays though as I am unavailable,...this attracts lots of parents!

I charge 39 weeks at the weekly rate, plus 4 weeks full pay for my holiday which is a total of 43 weeks fees....divided by 12 months.

I am have had to turn 2 term time onlys and 4 year round parents away in the last month.

If you are patient you will get what you want.

MissTinkerbell
11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I think being patient is the key. I started out with 1 term timer and 2 all year rounders. Lost all three of these and then ended up with the same again. My 2 all year rounders are now leaving me and my original term timer is coming back with her baby brother so in another 6 months I will have three term timers only - I do charge a half-fee over the holidays and both sets of parents are happy with this.

The Juggler
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I think being patient is the key. I started out with 1 term timer and 2 all year rounders. Lost all three of these and then ended up with the same again. My 2 all year rounders are now leaving me and my original term timer is coming back with her baby brother so in another 6 months I will have three term timers only - I do charge a half-fee over the holidays and both sets of parents are happy with this.

have any other minders got teachers/school staff. Ask them to pass on the word that you're looking for t-time only. Also put RETAINER FEE TERM-TIME ONLY CARE in large letters at the top of your netmums ads!

bexcee
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks again everyone for your replies, glad I am not the only one who wants to only work during term time. I think I will stick with it and see if I can get another term time only mindee.