PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder why?

desiderata
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Having done a daily diary for a mindee who started just before xmas, I had written about what she could do when she started and her transition into my setting (having come from a day nursery at 3.) and have since written comments and achievements etc daily. Parents and grandparents not really contributing even tho being asked regularly. I have kept it going, Well this morning the child has arrived and whilst sorting out lunch items etc to put away into fridge I came across the diary all front pages ripped out and the ones left have been scribbled all over by the child.

This was after oarent had left. I commented "Oh what happened here" xxx answered. "i did that" .

I tried to say that I had wanted that book to be special for her and she says well mommy says its your book you do what you want "

I just feel so upset as I had put a lot of work in even tho its the diary.

Sometimes I just feel we work hard for nothingxxx sorry for the rant just needed to get it out. Well just have to see what my networker makes of this when she comes out. She thinks its easy to get the parents to do things.

MacFi
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I feel your pain, all you can do is try and remember that you're doing a great job and that the child will benefit in the end.
Too early for a glass of wine as well!:mad:

Winnie
10-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh :( , i think i would be close to tears too. It is for this reason that i photocopy the diary sheets before sticking them in the book, it has come in handy when the book has been lost and i've been able to present a new one to parents.

I think there are so many pressures on working parents that sometimes they just dont see the wood for the trees-they dont see how important these things are to us (the amount of time we put into it, plus the importance of proving to O that we are working in partnership) they dont 'get' the importance in looking at the overall development of their child, and of course some parents are just not sentimental- so it wouldnt bother them that they have nothing to keep from that very special time in their childs life :(

I would make a note of it and get the parent to sign (ott? no, you need proof that you work with parents And it might help ensure the next one is looked after). And may be the parent is upset too and too embarrassed to tell you??

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Same here, i have had a couple mutilated, a couple used to scribble takeaway orders in, and some just plain lost! I have one parent now who says dont bother doing it, the rest i do, however intermittently they turn up, and only one parent has bothered to put a bit of stuff in it, like photos etc., even that was only a one off though!