PDA

View Full Version : renting, minding and insurance...

viki-kate
09-03-2010, 05:07 PM
hi... does anybody rent their house and mind in it...? im just trying to find out if my landlady needs to change the house insurance...? i cover the contents insurance myself and have changed that accordingly, but the landlady covers the house insurance im unsure if that needs to change or not... thank you in advance all... xx

mamasheshe
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
i don't know the answer just asked my landlord if he would mind me childminding he said it was fine:D :D

viki-kate
09-03-2010, 05:57 PM
ok thanks... my landlady has said it is fine already, just want to make sure iv got all bases covered... :)

viki-kate
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
bump!! :)
just on the off chance of any1 else knowing... thank yooooou...

carol cameron
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
apparently there can be conditions put into the deeds to say that a business can't be run from the premises,not sure how you check it out though so sorry if that's confusing. I have just bought a house to rent out and it's one of the conditions my solicitor pointed out.

kindredspirits
11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
my landlord just told me that i needed to be aware that his insurance wouldn't cover a mindee being injured on the property (like from a falling roof tile etc) but MY childminding insurance does so thats all ok.

christine e
11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
my landlord just told me that i needed to be aware that his insurance wouldn't cover a mindee being injured on the property (like from a falling roof tile etc) but MY childminding insurance does so thats all ok.

Your childminding insurance only covers you if you are negligent - a tile falling from the roof of the property you couldn't be held responsible for because you don't own the property and therefore not responsible for it's upkeep - your landlord is responsible for this and therefore needs to be adequately covered.

Cx

viki-kate
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
she called her insurance company who were not helpful and said they had no idea what to do!!! so im unsure wot to do now...

Laura176
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I currently work as a household underwriter and most insurance companies only need to be informed if you hold contents cover (sometimes they exclude AD cover and put an endorsement on to exclude theft) ... I wouldn't imagine it would affect the buildings side of things.
Although as some have mentioned - it may be worth your landlady contacting her mortgage company because some mortgages do not allow working from home

Hope that helps although every insurance company is different :rolleyes:

Laura x

viki-kate
13-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Your childminding insurance only covers you if you are negligent - a tile falling from the roof of the property you couldn't be held responsible for because you don't own the property and therefore not responsible for it's upkeep - your landlord is responsible for this and therefore needs to be adequately covered.

Cx

surley the P.L ins would cover that, as it could happen anywhere...??

christine e
13-03-2010, 07:51 PM
surley the P.L ins would cover that, as it could happen anywhere...??

But your PL insurance only covers you if you are negligent - you could not be held responsible for a roof tile falling off your landlord's roof. If it were your own roof and you were held negligent because you hadn't kept the property in good repair then you could be held responsible but then this would normally be under your buildings insurance which has a section called property owners liability. Perhaps it would be best if you rang your PL insurers and explain situation to them.

Cx

viki-kate
24-03-2010, 08:33 PM
hi all. i found the answer so thought id post incase anyone else wondered. basivally, some insurance companies class childminding as a business, so if they do, there is an additional cost to your buildings insurance...