PDA

View Full Version : Is he ignoring me ?

lynnslittleuns
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
A 2yr old little boy that i mind ignores me.
Well at first I thought that he might be deaf but after doing a few little checks like standing behind him and talking etc, I dont think he is and he has had all his routine hearing tests.
I have to repeatedly ask the same questions over and over again, even when i'm face to face with him. I gradually raise my voice, not shouting at him or anything just enough so that i'm sure he hears me but he seems to answer me when he feels like it. I dont know if he has a problem or is just testing me.
Your opinions please.
Lynn x x

loocyloo
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
i have a 2 1/2 yr old, who is the same! i think they are so engrossed in what they doing that they just don't register ANYTHING else - be it someone talking to them, needing the toilet ...

no advice ... just company!

helenlc
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
It could just be behaviour.

But I would ask his parents to maybe ask for him to have another hearing test. When was the last one?

My DD has glue ear as a toddler and couldnt hear me if I was standing right next to her. But it fluctuated from ear to ear and from ok to worse each time we went to the ENT Dr.

carebear25
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Try askin if he wants chocolate, that worked with my son no problems with hearing just selective especially if engrossed in sumthin 5yr old mindee the same xc

Merry-Minder
09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Try askin if he wants chocolate, that worked with my son no problems with hearing just selective especially if engrossed in sumthin 5yr old mindee the same xc

I like that idea - that will soon let you know whether its selective or not, maybe everytime he ignores you add that on the end!

Seriously I hope its nothing serious and your problem gets sorted.xxx

Ripeberry
09-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I find it gets worse the older they get :rolleyes: My eldest aged 7yrs seems to go stone deaf sometimes, but if it's something she wants to hear (rustle of sweet papers), she will hear it two rooms away :D

Pipsqueak
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
if he is ignoring you get down to his level and talk to him

or get attention by clapping hands loudly or a similar loud noise.

it could be that he is not tuning into your voice, cannot hear certain tones/pitches

would recommend having a good look at Phase 1 Letters and Sounds - great activities in there to encourage listening, sound discrimination

are you noticing a pattern to his hearing - is it when you are issuing instructions, time to pack away etc. what are your obs telling you for triggers.

again as suggested it might be his age - being engrossed in something, selective hearing etc

lynnslittleuns
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank you all for your advice.
I think the best thing for me to do at this stage is just to observe him for a while and to see if it is at any particular time or if it is when he is doing something particular.
Thanks again and i will let you know how we get on.
Lynn x x :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
:thumbsup: good luck!

mummyof3
09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
My son passed all his hearing tests at birth and we found out 2yrs ago he has hearing loss and should never have passed the tests as they think it was a birth defect. When he was 2 I used to think he was deliberately ignoring me all the time only now do I know different! If he carries on I would urge parents to take him to get hearing checked it may be he is just ignoring you but its always best to get it checked as we found out! :thumbsup:

lynnslittleuns
10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi Mummyof3.
I had the same situation with my son, had all his tests all were fine then when he was 2 they realised that he was deaf in his left ear so i agree it might be an idea to mention it to his parents.

Thanks again.
Lynn.

Tina O
10-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I find it gets worse the older they get :rolleyes: My eldest aged 7yrs seems to go stone deaf sometimes, but if it's something she wants to hear (rustle of sweet papers), she will hear it two rooms away :D

Wait till they get to be teenagers....... my 14yr old can't hear you ask him to do something, but can hear the fridge open!!!!!!!!! and ask for food!

carebear25
17-03-2010, 09:13 PM
How are you gettin on with LO have u tried the chocolate tactic or others xx

sillysausage
17-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Have you considered these?
Background noise...do you have the tv/radio/music etc on. It can be difficult for some children to filter out background noise and tune into the important stuff.
What height do you talk from?....have you tried getting down to his level, up close and facing him so that you know you have his direct and complete attention (when you're talking from adult height sometimes the words seem to fly right over their heads :rolleyes: !). Obviously you wouldn't need to talk loudly. In the past I've sometimes also gently put my hand on a child's shoulder or arm to give them a sensory sign that I want their attention.
Is it just key times that he 'ignores' you? like when you need to get everyone out of the door for a school run or it's tidy up time etc