PDA

View Full Version : Omg another day at netmums!!!

Beckieboo
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Some people want it all their own way!! LOL

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/lifestyle-8/work-study-childcare-44/390293-paying-childminder-when-theyre-not-looking-after-your-child.html

It just goes on and on and on ............................ :laughing:

smithya85
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Grr! :angry:

AliceK
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Thats just made me VERY VERY cross and I don't even charge for my holidays. Some people just do not understand the work we do, the long hours, the behind the scenes stuff etc etc etc. Makes me mad :angry:

xxxxxx

breezy
09-03-2010, 01:39 PM
and on and on and on ...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

georgie456
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Why did I click on that link????? It's just winds me up :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The SAHM who replied doesn't really like childminders very much does she? :D

Beckieboo
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Not very much no!!! :laughing: :laughing:

It makes me so mad!! I have to smile though, otherwise my frown lines will get worse!!! :laughing:

It's a small world
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Yet again this is another example of how people do not see us as a business but a babysitting service. Do these people not undestand that if their child attended a nursery they would have to still pay if they went on holiday. ??? I don't charge for my holidays but charge full fees for their holidays as I'm still available to work just because they are not there. Most people should think themselves lucky . In our job ( for those of us who don't charge for our holidays don't get holiday pay like most jobs. )So some times in the year our income makes a loss. I know one cm who charges full fees fir both their holidays and mindees holidays as they say other jobs get holiday pay why not them !!! Don't think the mum on netmum would like that very much lol :laughing:

maybe SAHM should become a cm lol . Be interesting what she would charge for holidays( I think her fees may change within a year of becoming a cm :rolleyes: )

Debbieanne
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I charge full for the mindees holidays too, but nothing for my own.
I agree, if they went to a nursery they would be charged too for any absent time. illness, holidays, odd day off; ect.

I lost a mindee last year, because his mum didn't want to pay me when her child didn't come due to illness. :rolleyes:

georgie456
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Yet again this is another example of how people do not see us as a business but a babysitting service. Do these people not undestand that if their child attended a nursery they would have to still pay if they went on holiday. ??? I don't charge for my holidays but charge full fees for their holidays as I'm still available to work just because they are not there. Most people should think themselves lucky . In our job ( for those of us who don't charge for our holidays don't get holiday pay like most jobs. )So some times in the year our income makes a loss. I know one cm who charges full fees fir both their holidays and mindees holidays as they say other jobs get holiday pay why not them !!! Don't think the mum on netmum would like that very much lol :laughing:

maybe SAHM should become a cm lol . Be interesting what she would charge for holidays( I think her fees may change within a year of becoming a cm :rolleyes: )

It seems we are all wanting to have our cake and eat it :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tatjana
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
We save on our own childcare :laughing:

We're at home anyway so we've got the heating on anyway :laughing:

Seeing as it's so easy peasy and money raking, why don't they try it?!

xx

WibbleWobble
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
where is my cake?

i want to eat it now!:laughing:

It's a small world
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I've got my cake ....:clapping: Chocolate cake mmmmmm actually dh bday cake mmmmm:laughing:

caz3007
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Easy Peasy, hey I wish!!!!

I must admit I charge 1/2 for each of mine and my parents holidays, just cos it works out the same, but gives me a bit of money for each

maryp0ppins
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
:angry: :angry:

why why why did i click the link

:angry: :angry:

bexcee
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Have many people want to reply with some choice words?! :angry: :angry: :angry:

sandy64
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
me just got my back up so had to speak up. lol and it wasnt evan about the payment has got out of hand and getting cm a bad name and i will not stand for that:angry:

Merry-Minder
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Im so :censored: that I read all of that, I was going to coment but thought better of it!!!

I charge full for all holidays theirs and my own. I explain that to all new parents, and the ones that appreciate my hard work put that issue aside and make their disission based on the quality of care that their child recieves surely thats the important thing here.

Th fact is that women wasnt even complaining about the cm holidays it was paying for her own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Cheap skate springs to mind!!! - and dont ever knock on my door - lol

little_gems
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
:angry: :angry: i got really mad when i read this!!! some people just havent got a clue

Minstrel
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Loved the comment- 'but if you have 2 or 3 children at a CM's then its an awful lot of money to fork out'

Erm yes love, but you had the children and choose to go back to work. It must be worth her while to go back otherwise she wouldn't be doing it.

snufflepuff
09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Grrrr!
Some people just dont have a clue. They are trusting us with the most precious thing in their lives and yet their holiday spending money is more important?!

AliceK
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I haven't been able to keep my mouth shut any longer. I have just posted my reply. I am sick and tired of ignorant people not having a clue about the amount of work and dedication we actually put into our "babysitting" :angry: :angry:

xxxxxxx

sandy64
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
is it always like that on netmums does seem like parents v childminders weird really when we are profesionals careing for there children. shame its always us that comes out sounding the worse:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
There are a lot of childminders who do get paid for their hols and I am one of them.

the thread, like many on here, go off the original topic and this was a person objecting to paying for her own holidays.

aly
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
is it always like that on netmums does seem like parents v childminders weird really when we are profesionals careing for there children. shame its always us that comes out sounding the worse:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh thats nothing...you should try mumsnet

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I have just added my two pennith in and as it took a long time to write and re write I hope that a few more people will stick to the point and stop writing us off as money grabbing, insensitive people! Was I polite enough?

I have read this thread from front to back and as an overall document found it to be both entertaining and sad.

The original comment was about a lady who didn't want to pay for her own holidays which quite frankly I find offensive and insulting. Childminders are human beings working in a professional capacity to provide an income for their families.

As a qualified professional childminder myself I feel that my services can be used or not and whether I do or do not take paid holidays is no one else's business but my own and my clients. I wonder why everyone seems so intent on discussing it. How would the everyday person react if I asked their terms and conditons of employment? Angrily I would suspect.

Just to reply to a couple of responses on here:

Yes 1 have 4 children under 5 and yes I do earn a good rate but I also work very hard for it. My days are long, sometimes in excess of 12 hours at a time plus paperwork time which will often run into the early hours of the morning and yes I have to maintain my professional status by attending training sessions, again outside of my working hours with a nil return financially but I also have expenses which are a good 40% of my income.

Therefore if I had an income of £4 x 4 children x 10 hours and was earning £160.00 per day less expenses of £64 leaving me a profit of £96.00 per day would I get a better return by going back to work? No I wouldn't but would I work 67.5 hours averaging £7.16 per hour in the general workforce? No I wouldn't.

If you look for childcare for your child please consider a childminder as well as other options and please don't be offended if you don't like what the childminder's terms are, just move on and try another as we are all different and all unique and offer something different.

And my final comment, childminders country wide work very hard and are appreciated in the main by those who use them. I have in my profession since 1995 and wouldn't change it for anything. Please don't judge us by the comments you read on forums such as this, go out and see what is there for your child. I always say that" after all you wouldn't leave your house keys with "just anyone" so why you child?"

aly
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I've just replied to some who says why should she pay a self employed person their holidays...when asked what her contracts says she says shedotn pay cm...dont see what her problem is then as she doesnt pay...just someone jumping in to have a dig.!!

Pipsqueak
09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
The CM bashing on netmums seems to have eased of lately but there are still a few diehards out there.

I think the thing is people don't see us as professionals.

And yes I agree about mumsnet being WAY worse - its really quite nasty over there!

Hebs
09-03-2010, 08:47 PM
my mindees parent has commented :clapping:

i charge for holidays too :D

The Juggler
09-03-2010, 09:26 PM
go girls, just read you responses! :clapping: :clapping: I hate the term CMer!!!! is that just me being picky?????

Blackhorse
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I have stopped reading on these forums.:mad:

people might have different opinions but they always mix everything up as well...starts off as one things and then turns nasty and people talk about all sorts.....

My only thought to this is:

if I dont like paying my cm for their holidays or my own then I dont sign the contract and look for someone else

SIMPELS!!!

JJAY
13-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I think the people commenting on netmums are very anti-childminding. Some of the comments regarding nusery staff all being trained to NVQ. Don't they realise some staff an't trained and also very many childminders are trained to NVQ3 and above.

Gherkin
14-03-2010, 10:53 PM
i do find on a lot of the forums there is a fundamental failure to actually understand what a childminder does in terms of their profession.

I find them always very depressing and it is one of the reasons that when I start with new parents I always explain and reiterate to current parents what I do to extend myself and my service. These sites make me feel like I have to justify myself.