PDA

View Full Version : Motherds Day Cards and A JW Child

Kaz1997
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi all,
I wonder if any of you could advise me. I am currently minding a young child age 4 who is Jehovah Witness, I know that Christmas, Birthdays and Easter are not celebrated but I am unsure about Mothers Day! I would ask the Mother directly but she is not the most approachable person..
I have planned to make cards with all the children tomorrow but am unsure about whether this child can do the activity. Obviously the child will still be included and her card will be worded differently, maybe turn it into a thank you card, but thought I would check here with you guys before we start the card making.
Many thanks in advance.
Kaz. x

green puppy
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi I just googled this and it seems they do not celebrate any days that we would including mothers day, fathers day, thanksgiving, halloween and so on.

bexcee
09-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi I just googled this and it seems they do not celebrate any days that we would including mothers day, fathers day, thanksgiving, halloween and so on.

That's interesting to know, thank you.

Polly2
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Your idea is fine :) just make the card and put something like 'Thank you mummy' or 'mummy I love you.'

I am sure mum will be fine and pleased you have included the child

Kaz1997
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks you lot, I knew you would know the answer.
I didn't realise that apparently Mother's Day was started in Churches, so therefore would be classed as a religious celebration... Oh well you learn something new every day!
Kaz x

christine e
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks you lot, I knew you would know the answer.
I didn't realise that apparently Mother's Day was started in Churches, so therefore would be classed as a religious celebration... Oh well you learn something new every day!
Kaz x

Well it is and it isn't. The date is relevant to easter in that if falls 3 weeks before Easter Sunday but it is my understanding that Mothers Day was introduced when girls worked in service and it was a bit of a break from lent, on mothers day girls in service were allowed to take a cake home to their mothers.

Cx

Hebs
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
it is my understanding that Mothers Day was introduced when girls worked in service and it was a bit of a break from lent, on mothers day girls in service were allowed to take a cake home to their mothers.

Cx

this is what i thought too

emmadines
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Well it is and it isn't. The date is relevant to easter in that if falls 3 weeks before Easter Sunday but it is my understanding that Mothers Day was introduced when girls worked in service and it was a bit of a break from lent, on mothers day girls in service were allowed to take a cake home to their mothers.

Cx

you know!! i didnt know that, aww hw sweet!!

Polly2
09-03-2010, 07:24 PM
This is interesting
http://www.theholidayspot.com/mothersday/history.htm

sonia ann
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Your idea is fine :) just make the card and put something like 'Thank you mummy' or 'mummy I love you.'

I am sure mum will be fine and pleased you have included the child

this is what I would do:)

sarah707
09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I would ask the parents ... some Witness families will feel very strongly about their children not celebrating Mothering Sunday, while others might appreciate the card gesture.

JW families are strongly against their children being included in many other festivals and celebrations and would not be at all concerned about their child missing out on crafts for Mother's Day too.

Also by asking you are giving them the option to check it out with an elder before the weekend, if they are not sure what answer to give you.

This may help - http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-cant.htm

Hth :D

caz3007
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Reading Sarahs reply, I was wondering if you could change the activity (just for said child) somewhat so they could just do a picture, using the same things you are planning for the others

grindal
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Surely this is an example of recognising the diversity of different cultures and religions. I would not occur to me to ask the parents about it - in much the same was as if I was getting a Christian child to colour in an Eid picture.

MarpleJollytots
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I would ask the parents ... some Witness families will feel very strongly about their children not celebrating Mothering Sunday, while others might appreciate the card gesture.

JW families are strongly against their children being included in many other festivals and celebrations and would not be at all concerned about their child missing out on crafts for Mother's Day too.

Also by asking you are giving them the option to check it out with an elder before the weekend, if they are not sure what answer to give you.

This may help - http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-cant.htm

Hth :DThere is alot on this list - the link,that is very inaccurate .No one has to miss out, there are always alternative activities. The child will only feel negative about the situation if the adult caring for them deals with it negativity or perhaps the parent is anxious about explaining their beliefs because they are worried about the response.:)

Blaze
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I would talk to the the parents - explaining the difference between celebrating & learning about differences - perhaps you could ask the child to draw a picture of their Mum instead to put in their scrapbook?
HTH:)

MarpleJollytots
09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Ps Ask the parent about any special days that they have as Jws and include them in your planning for the individual child. They have the Memorial coming up where they think alot about Jesus and his qualities.Most Jw children have a Bible story book and a Great teacher book.Ask the parent for copies for your setting.Alot of Jws give gifts when they have 'assembly s' they are special meetings.Alot of Jw children get 'Assembly' presents. I know Jw children who have taken small gifts into school for their class and teacher before their assembly so the child doesnt miss out on givving .Its no different than children givving sweets and treats to their friends on their birthday at home time.Some Jw children get gifts on their parents wedding anniversery aswell.For mothers day - make an 'I love you Mummy' card and get them to give it before mothers day.Just dont write happy mothers day in it. Christmas - Instead of cards with santa on make snow men cards,Winter cards etc etc.Just dont write happy christmas on it. Easter,Stay away from Bunnies and Eggs and do a Spring card.Try contacting your local Kingdom hall of Jehovahs Witnesses,they are open Sundays,Thursday evenings and Tuesday evenings and ask the parents maybe if you could arrange to have a chat with them.If you feel they are not approachable it may be because they are anxious about your reaction. Respecting all faiths means all faiths,not just those that are more well known,it includes those that are maybe a little misunderstood or miss represented. Never make a judgement based on something you dont fully understand ( and im not saying that anyone on here would) or based on the opinions of others. No religion is perfect because no human is perfect.Im just abit worried about forum members who are Jehovahs Witnesses.:)

Blaze
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks for that info Marplejellytots- really helpful:thumbsup:

...I have to say we have some lovely lads who come round every few months & have a chat with me...I do like the wonderful way the youth is encouraged within the JW faith.:)

MarpleJollytots
09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I would encourage any childminder next time they have a Jw at the door invite then in and ask them why jws dont celebrate various things,dont rely on the internet to find out. Also if they are parents themselves ask them what they do with their children as alternatives, they would also provide you with childrens books. I dont think they charge you just make a small contribution,if you want too.

Polly2
10-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Agree with jellytots :thumbsup:
also the official website of JW's is very informative there are a lot of sites that give out wrong information about the witnesses but this is the official site.
http://www.watchtower.org/