PDA

View Full Version : strange enquiry

Polly2
11-12-2007, 02:45 PM
hi all

I just had a parent phone to ask if I would pick up his child from school and take him home - no care needed at my home, just pick up and drop off!!

I felt like saying "why don't you just book a taxi!"

Is it me or is this strange??

Maybe he thought I could do it if I was picking up other children but seems a bit odd to me

:rolleyes:

Hollyx

LittleMissSparkles
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
what just for today today ????

or do they want you to do it regularly with a contract ????

Lazy so and so's !!!

ma7ie
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
It must be a day for strange enquiries Holly because I've just had a woman wanting me to pick her son up on thursday after school without even meeting me.

Marie x

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM
These peopel are very odd indeed

I had a lady that came to see me earlier this year - I thought she wanted a contract etc but she actually ran over to my house left the children in the car and wanted me to mind them for a few hours that day

I had never met them or her I could have been anyone yet she was happy to leave them with me just like that

There sure are some weird people around

Hope you said no Holly haha of course you did !!! Wish you would have said about that taxi though wonder what he would have said to that ha

Angel xx

sarah707
11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Might he be disabled or have agoraphobia...?

I would certainly consider helping in this situation, if it suited my other commitments and wasn't out of my way.

Polly2
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I am assuming he wanted this on a regular basis.

As soon as he mentioned what school, I knew I couldn't do it anyway because I have to be at my sons school at that time.

I am not sure of his reasons for asking because like I said I couldn't do it anyway - I suppose he could have been ill or something - I never thought of that.

never had a request like that though - I suppose you live and learn ;)

Hollyx

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
If a child was ill though their safety would / should have still come first and they did not know you !!!

If a child was that ill the school could always have taken the child home

You were right to refuse Holly

Angel xx

Polly2
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Thats true yes

I think Sarah meant that the parent might be ill - not sure

Still good decision I think

Hollyx

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
i think that you were right to refuse, holly, i would want to know the person who was going to collect my child from school, regardless if they're a childminder or not

xxx

ps i know i haven't got kids but i would still want to know them lol

Pudding Girl
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Did he actuall mean today??

berkschick
11-12-2007, 04:42 PM
A childminder I know does the school run for a neighbour of hers because Mum had a baby 3 months ago and doesnt like taking it out! Lol at least she knows the woman I suppose and she charges her £10 a day so easy money as she walks past her door anyway on the way to the school!

manjay
11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
The way I read this was that maybe it was for a regular pick up from school and then drop off at home!! If this was the case and you were able to do it, of course you would have met the child as normal. I would still charge my minimum so it would be very easy money!

Amanda xx

Polly2
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
He wanted me to this on a regular basis starting today!

Good point about min charge Amanda - I will remember that one if ever asked again but would INSIST on meeting child first.

How scary for a child to come out of school and be picked up by a complete stranger.

Hollyx

LittleMissSparkles
11-12-2007, 07:13 PM
He wanted me to this on a regular basis starting today!

Good point about min charge Amanda - I will remember that one if ever asked again but would INSIST on meeting child first.

How scary for a child to come out of school and be picked up by a complete stranger.

Hollyx

in that case can you arrange to meet with thte parent to arrange a contract ? if you want to of course xxx

jo f
11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
If you were thinking of it I would think of what you would charge, have a minimum charge. You may have other kids you will have to get ready and take out in all weathers- don't know if you drive or not. you may pick this child up at 3:15 and have them home for 3:30, is it worth the agro for couple of quid a day?

ajs
13-12-2007, 11:43 PM
i know you've said that you're not interested anyway but i used to pick a boy up from home take him to school then reverse it and again i charged £10 to do it the parents queried th charge and said it was far too much but when i explained that i couldn't fill a full time space because i needed the room in my car for what amounted to about 40 mins work they soon shut up.i did it for 2 years and it worked very well really , money for old rope

Polly2
14-12-2007, 09:12 AM
sounds good to me!!!

money for doing nothing :)

hollyx

susi513
14-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Our local taxis say they're not insured to carry unaccompanied children. So registered childminder is probably a better option, if you don't have any trusted friends or relatives who can help.

I charge £12 per after school session, if they only want a short part of it I can't offer the rest of the session to anyone else so they are charged for the full session. Also I charge 40p per mile if I use my car to collect or drop off their child.