PDA

View Full Version : daily diaries

Wendy Woo
09-03-2010, 08:04 AM
HI all x x

I do a daily diary for my youngest who is 18mths which i send home everyday
and i also do a diary for me which includes details of everyone!

Should i be doin individual ones for everyone and should it be somethin i keep as mum has been keepin the full ones.

I keep my diary which i thought would be enough as it shows everythin we do and the childrens reaction and the lo has his own as he is still in nappies and he sleeps and mum likes to no wot and wen. My other mindee is 4 and mum was happy nto to bother as wot he does is transferred verbally thro me and the lo with wot he remembers!!

i was just wonderin if this is ok x x

Thanx guys:thumbsup:

moogster1a
09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
You're doing more than enough. if parents don't want a diary, don't do one"!

Daftbat
09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
I would think its ok as you are doing it. I do separate ones but the mums tend to only take them home every so often. As you are doing a diary for yourself anyway you will have plenty of evidence to show Ofsted.

Tink
09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a daily diary book for the Lo's which I fill in each time they come.
Both these parents are great as they bring it each time they come and also write in what they have done at the weekend etc so I can plan around their interests.

I use a sheet for the older ones 4 and 5 as I only have them 2/3 times a week after school.

I would say it's whatever suits you and the parents.

Mollymop
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
There's no right or wrong way as it is not a requirement to have daily diaries but most of us do it to show we are working in partnership with parents and to keep as evidence if something was to go wrong.

I do dd's for every child under school age.

They go home every night in the child's bag and then the parents bring them back in child's bag the next day, etc

every month I write "any comments" - and the parents usually write how happy they are with everything etc, then they sign and date it - to show they have read the dd.

When the dds become full I keep them and start a new one.

Some minders give them to the parents to keep, but I like to keep mine with the child'd confidental info just incase in the future anything should arise where I need some kind of evidence of what the child did that day and where we went etc.

I don't keep diaries for myself though, only my personal diary

x

AliceK
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
There's no right or wrong way as it is not a requirement to have daily diaries but most of us do it to show we are working in partnership with parents and to keep as evidence if something was to go wrong.

I do dd's for every child under school age.

They go home every night in the child's bag and then the parents bring them back in child's bag the next day, etc

every month I write "any comments" - and the parents usually write how happy they are with everything etc, then they sign and date it - to show they have read the dd.

When the dds become full I keep them and start a new one.

Some minders give them to the parents to keep, but I like to keep mine with the child'd confidental info just incase in the future anything should arise where I need some kind of evidence of what the child did that day and where we went etc.

I don't keep diaries for myself though, only my personal diary

x

I do the same, one for all mindees not yet in full-time school. The parents love them. They have pics of things we've done that day and I also list all food, nappies etc etc in them.

xxxxxxx

mamasheshe
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
i do them for under school age just individual for parents. and them i have their learning journey :D

youarewhatyoueat
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I only do it for 2 of mine as the 3rd childs diary has been lost twice, I call them a message book as well, so mum can write anything in, this was mums idea and it works really well, she doesn't have to sign and date it as her messages show we have daily correspondence. She did this as she kept forgeting to tell me things and was having to text me later.
My only gripe is that i've done this for nearly 2 years and the child is leaving in 2 months and i'm not due an inspection so ofsted won't see it.

grindal
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
When I have little ones under about 15 months I do a day sheet - which literally tells parent what mindee has eaten, when they have slept, how many nappy changes. I then do a daily diary which parents take home weekly and make comments in. After about 15 months I do away with the day sheet and just stick with the diary.