PDA

View Full Version : chickenpox - plz help - where do I stand?

bec123
08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
My daughter had chickenpox on 10/11 Feb (1st spots). I informed parents of mindees and they were happy to send their children even though they'd not had it. I therefore stayed open. Well anyway last week one mindee (age 6) came down with chickenpox on Tuesday she then had rest of week off. Her brother arrived with a spot on Fri but mum was convinced it wasn't c/pox so I kept him here with me. By lunchtime more spots had cropped up so I txt mum and asked her to collect him.
Had a txt off dad this morning asking if I would mind him just for an hr this afternoon as daughter has afterschool activity - I said no cuz I've got other children here who've not had it yet and didn't thin,k it would be fair. Don't think he was v pleased.
I've got a sickness policy which parents have had and signed which clearly states that if a child has chickenpox they need to be excluded for 5 days from appearance of last spot and once they have all dried over. I therefore work it out that this little boy needs to be excluded til at least Weds/Thurs? I have a feeling they want to send him back tomorrow cuz he's nearly all scabbed over.

I need to txt dad concerning the same but not sure what to put as I obviously don't want to upset anyone but at the end of the day I'm pregnant and I dont want to expose myself to the virus more than I need to !

What do you think?????

crazyhazy
08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
I suppose they're maybe expecting you to take him because you stayed open while your own daughter had chicken pox. How many weeks pregnant are you? have you had chicken pox before?

suzyblue
08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
If all parents had agreed to send their kids while yours had chicken pox then Im guessing they would have no objections with this other boy having it and sending their kids in. I understand you concerns about your pregnancy though and think maybe you should explain this to the dad.

bec123
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I suppose they're maybe expecting you to take him because you stayed open while your own daughter had chicken pox. How many weeks pregnant are you? have you had chicken pox before?

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and yes I had c/pox as a child but I'm a hi risk pregnancy due to diabetes.

crazyhazy
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm 25 weeks pregnant and yes I had c/pox as a child but I'm a hi risk pregnancy due to diabetes.

Have you had bloods taken to confirm you're actually immune to chicken pox though? I'm only asking cos my h had shingles when I was pg with dd2 (about 25 weeks too I think) and even though I definately had chicken pox as a child it turned out I didn't have the anti bodies afterall and I had to go and get injections to cover me. I was told it was only of major concern during the first 12 weeks and the last few weeks but was advised to have the injections to cover me anyway.

I think the issue here is that you remained open when your own child had chicken pox, fair enough the parents agreed it was ok but I think they probably assumed you would then do the same for their children if they then caught it. maybe explain to them your concern with being pg and hopefully they'll understand.

bec123
08-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I think the issue here is that you remained open when your own child had chicken pox, fair enough the parents agreed it was ok but I think they probably assumed you would then do the same for their children if they then caught it. maybe explain to them your concern with being pg and hopefully they'll understand.

so my policy doesn't stand then??

crazyhazy
08-03-2010, 10:12 AM
so my policy doesn't stand then??

I never said that, maybe call ncma for advice, but I can see it from the parents point of view aswell as yours.

bec123
08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I never said that, maybe call ncma for advice, but I can see it from the parents point of view aswell as yours.

sorry - that wasn't meant to sound so blunt. I'm just a bit stressed about the whole thing - kids ey - who'd have um!

caz3007
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I was exposed to chickenpox whilst pregant and my doc told me it was ok after the first trimester. Have you actually asked your midwife. I am also thinking along the lines that the parent would assume you would care for the child as you had had the virus in your house.

Also understand your concerns too, see it both ways.

little chickee
08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Please do not take this the wrong way as im just seeing it from both sides. It does seem a little unfair that you stayed open when your child had chickenpox but you will not accept other children with it.

Im assuming that you expect the parents to still pay you while their children are off?

It just seems a little bit of double standards - one rule for you and another for them.

green puppy
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I think to be fair that if a policy states what it does and parents have agreed to it then you are within your rights to follow that policy. Yes you stayed available to work when your child was ill but you gave parents a choice whether or not to send their child, if they hadn't I'm sure you wouldn't have charged them.

green puppy
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Also chicken pox is mostly contagious before the spots show, it really depends how the child is with it and whether they need extra attention or not.

youarewhatyoueat
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Please do not take this the wrong way as im just seeing it from both sides. It does seem a little unfair that you stayed open when your child had chickenpox but you will not accept other children with it.

Im assuming that you expect the parents to still pay you while their children are off?

It just seems a little bit of double standards - one rule for you and another for them.

Sorry but have to agree.

FussyElmo
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes your policy is valid but it works both ways if you want to exclude the child with chicken pox then you should have shut when your dd had it. Sorry if thats blunt but if you give the parents the option they will usually decide to send the.

Does seem unfair that you stay open when its in your favour but exclude when its in theirs.

Sorry if thats not want you want to hear.