PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety officer visit?

crazyhazy
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm just wondering how many other scottish childminders had their local fire safety officer visit them and what they required you to do? Mine visited a couple of weeks ago and I was only the 2nd childminder he had visited, he seemed a bit confused about what was required. To start with he was telling me I would have to have fire doors fitted, despite the booklet saying I didn't need them (house is a bungalow, 2 main exits plus every room has windows etc). Once I pointed this out he agreed I was right.

Then he mentioned PAC testing for my electrics??? but again wasn't sure, said he would confirm this when he left but 2 weeks on I've received no letter like he said I would.

I had only doen a risk assessment of the house which included fire aspects, like extinguishers, fire blanket and alarm. He said this wasn't sufficient so I am to email him one completed on this form

http://www.infoscotland.com/firelaw/files/Short.pdf

which seems rather complicated and to be honest I'm a bit lost with it all! :panic:

Has anyone had to complete this before? Anyone offer any advice for me?

Blackhorse
08-03-2010, 08:10 AM
mine came out 2 weeks ago and all was fine.

they inspected me just the same as any other house.
they said nothing else was required from their side than I already had as requirement from CC.

they left me with their leaflets and cheched the smoke alarm my exits etc and asked a couple of questions of how we do things in the home in regards to fire risks.

never seen the attached form either...I think they must have gotten you confused with an office...not someone working from HOME! ???

it was actually a really enjoyable experience (which I solely put down to the lovely guys in uniforms...:D :thumbsup: )

crazyhazy
08-03-2010, 09:19 AM
mine came out 2 weeks ago and all was fine.

they inspected me just the same as any other house.
they said nothing else was required from their side than I already had as requirement from CC.

they left me with their leaflets and cheched the smoke alarm my exits etc and asked a couple of questions of how we do things in the home in regards to fire risks.

never seen the attached form either...I think they must have gotten you confused with an office...not someone working from HOME! ???

it was actually a really enjoyable experience (which I solely put down to the lovely guys in uniforms...:D :thumbsup: )

Thanks, your visit was what I was expecting so was totally thrown by mine. I don't really know what to do from here, have done the form as best I can and emailled it to him so hoping that will be sufficient. I don't want to get one the wrong side of him by questioning him but when I spoke to my cco she was very surprised at what he was asking aswell. Although the guidance for childminders fire safety booklet does state it is law to have a fire risk assessment, so guess I can't argue with that.