PDA

View Full Version : What about when your children get older?

singlewiththree
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
At the moment I have

under 5's
2 mindees
1 DD

Between 5-8
1 mindee
1 DD

over 8
1 DD

Now in Sept I will have all my 5-8 spaces filled, two of those with my DD and I will fill up my under 5's.

At the moment I fill the 7 seater car with my own 3 and the mindees, come Sept I will have too many children in the car (unless I can persuade my DD to walk to school!!!) I just feel that I already have 6 children to care for and from September potentially 8 children and it seems such a lot to have on a school run. Is it just because I have a big family? Would you employ an assistant for after school?

I suppose I'm thinking is my children will just keep getting older which would mean I could have 6 mindees and my own 3 making 9 every day.

Mouse
07-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I have 5 children of my own. Add in 6 mindees & that's an awful lot of children (not that I ever actually have that many!). Now that my children are older I limit myself to having 3 under 5s and only 1 over 5. I usually have 5 children walking to & from school (my youngest & 4 mindees) which doesn't seem a lot to me as that's only the same amount as my own children. I could happily have a few more without it seeming a lot.

I have a cm friend who will often walk home with anything up to 16 children...now that is a lot! She does it by herself & always seems to manage. I think it's something you get used to doing.

christine e
07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I have 5 children of my own. Add in 6 mindees & that's an awful lot of children (not that I ever actually have that many!). Now that my children are older I limit myself to having 3 under 5s and only 1 over 5. I usually have 5 children walking to & from school (my youngest & 4 mindees) which doesn't seem a lot to me as that's only the same amount as my own children. I could happily have a few more without it seeming a lot.

I have a cm friend who will often walk home with anything up to 16 children...now that is a lot! She does it by herself & always seems to manage. I think it's something you get used to doing.

16 is a lot of children - where does she get insurance from for 16?

I try and keep to 6 children in total that way we can use the car I have in the past had 8 but these days prefer to keep to the 6. My insurance covers me for up to 12.

Cx

mushpea
07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I have 2 children age 9 and 11 and one day of the week i have 7 children to walk home with including them and at the moment thats my limit , you have to go with what you feel happy with and you will reach a number when you look around and think, acutualy, thats enough, I would happily have 2 or 3 more but i dont because my son has social interaction problems and more children would be too much for him.

singlewiththree
07-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Its just I get funny looks now when I have the 6 children with the comments how do you cope, I look at them puzzled, its my job! and I always point out that 3 of the children are mine. I know a lot of childminders around here leave some children with their husband so they aren't taking them with them on the school run as it seems to attract negative attention.

Mouse
07-03-2010, 06:22 PM
16 is a lot of children - where does she get insurance from for 16?

I try and keep to 6 children in total that way we can use the car I have in the past had 8 but these days prefer to keep to the 6. My insurance covers me for up to 12.

Cx

I'm not sure about the insurance.

I have asked & she says she's checked it out & it's OK as she's registered for lots of children (she has 2 assistants). I do believe her as she does everything by the book. I always thought there was a limit to the number of children you were insured for, but perhaps it's changed. I'm not sure if she's with MM or NCMA. I think they're different.

jumpinjen
07-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Its just I get funny looks now when I have the 6 children with the comments how do you cope, I look at them puzzled, its my job! and I always point out that 3 of the children are mine. I know a lot of childminders around here leave some children with their husband so they aren't taking them with them on the school run as it seems to attract negative attention.

I love seeing someone with a bunch of children together, CM or mummy, it just seems right, not negative at all, some people are funny aren't they.... I wouldn't have 16 though... wouldn't fit them in the house!!!!

I don't have a people carrier so don't do school runs in the car so that not a consideration for me!!

jen x

mumof4
07-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I often collect 6 children from school plus my own ds but at the moment I leave the little ones with my husband, mainly because of the looks and comments I get from other minders, mums are great and full of admiration usually. Soon though hubby will be working long hours and I will have to take the lot! I have 4 lo`s usually due to variations so taking them and collecting 7 will be interesting!!:eek:

claire bear 72
07-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I walk home with 10 after school.......3 under 5 and 3 between 5 and 8 and 4 over 8' s......yes I get funny looks and plenty of remarks but I have been minding for a long time and all the children been with me since they were very small.......they know to hold hands crossing the road and the buddy system for them works really well!!!!! I am very concious of road safety and NEVER listen to other people's remarks!!! lol :D